Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 2010 stumpy ht 29er comp and I plan on going rigid with a Niner carbon fork, will this mod void my warranty?

The trails I ride are smooth with lots of climbing and Im always locking the fork 80% of the time even on the descent.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Read the warranty.

Get the right size fork. The warranty is concerned with the length of the fork, not whether or not it's bouncy.

Post pictures when it's all set. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense plus I don't want to change the geometry of the bike since it handles so good the way it is now.

This would be a good upgrade for me because the rigid fork weight just a little over 1 lb compared to Rockshox 3.9 lbs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Whatever change to the geometry, it was slight. I am still trying to dial the cockpit in a little more, I feel that I need to be back off the front end of the bike a little bit more. This is especially true in highly technical downhill sections. To that end I am going to try the new Niner carbon flat bar w/ a 9 degree sweep. Here is a picture of me on it deep into an 8 hr endurance event:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Cortez first off sweet A$$ bike. I have the epic 29er in that white and just love the color better than the rest of them. I just brought the white tapered for my epic and was wondering how the color was going to match up now i know. Ok how is the ride on the fork, iam now using a steel fork on the front of my epic.(I hated the reba soooo much)

·
Registered
914 Posts
B-RAY said:
Cortez first off sweet A$$ bike. I have the epic 29er in that white and just love the color better than the rest of them. I just brought the white tapered for my epic and was wondering how the color was going to match up now i know. Ok how is the ride on the fork, iam now using a steel fork on the front of my epic.(I hated the reba soooo much)
you have a rigid fork on a FS bike? How does that ride? I never heard of anyone doing this. Now I am curious on how that would be.

·
Registered
817 Posts
brent878 said:
you have a rigid fork on a FS bike? How does that ride? I never heard of anyone doing this. Now I am curious on how that would be.
I have rode with a rigid on the front of my epic 29er for over a year now it rocks big time for me. I have a gravity dropper on it also so desending is alot easier because with my seat alot lower i can loft the front wheel over alot of things and in single track it flat out flys.:thumbsup: I have a friend that is a pro adventure racer who races like that and told me to try it out i did and liked it alot. I have been on a steel fork iam so looking forward to getting my niner fork. I also got a new P35mm front wheel too so there will be alot of cush there. I will post a pic when all my stuff is together. I have ridden on some gnarly stuff with this setup and it just works for me. Its funny with the 29er wheel i roll over most stuff most of the time so my speed is never lost.

·
Registered
26 Posts
B-RAY said:
I'm very happy w/ the ride quality on it. The only other reference point I have for a rigid hardtail on the 29er platform is a Salsa El Mariachi which I ran primarily as a single speed. The bike was a little on the heavy side. Like 24 lbs as a single speed. Run it geared and now that is a hefty hardtail. And I like gears.

The thing that got me thinking rigid fork on the Stumpy was that I was pleasantly surprised with the compliance of the M5 material and that it might not be totally crazy to stick a rigid fork on it. Almost steel like in a certain regards. I had always run M2 Stumpys in the past and those frames were stiff as hell. So then the Niner fork hit the market and I was like, hell yes let me try it out. Shaved 2 lbs off the front end of the bike, BAM. Upgraded the drive train and wheelset and now I am @ right under 22lbs. To me that is an all day big mountain steed. Yes, certain downhill sections will tax you more but then you factor in all the climbing and the reduced weight and for me it is a good trade off for all day sh1t. With the majority of trail conditions, I prefer a rigid fork anyway. Especially on a 29er.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Awsomeness

Cortez said:
I'm very happy w/ the ride quality on it. The only other reference point I have for a rigid hardtail on the 29er platform is a Salsa El Mariachi which I ran primarily as a single speed. The bike was a little on the heavy side. Like 24 lbs as a single speed. Run it geared and now that is a hefty hardtail. And I like gears.

The thing that got me thinking rigid fork on the Stumpy was that I was pleasantly surprised with the compliance of the M5 material and that it might not be totally crazy to stick a rigid fork on it. Almost steel like in a certain regards. I had always run M2 Stumpys in the past and those frames were stiff as hell. So then the Niner fork hit the market and I was like, hell yes let me try it out. Shaved 2 lbs off the front end of the bike, BAM. Upgraded the drive train and wheelset and now I am @ right under 22lbs. To me that is an all day big mountain steed. Yes, certain downhill sections will tax you more but then you factor in all the climbing and the reduced weight and for me it is a good trade off for all day sh1t. With the majority of trail conditions, I prefer a rigid fork anyway. Especially on a 29er.
I feel ya there if u could pls post more pics of ur bike I know I would love it and others would like to see more of that awsomeness. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Sweet Ty I got the tapered fork commin. Iam wondering if iam going to be able feel the difference from 1/18 to 1.5. I also have a set of Carbon Havens that should be here next week, commin off some spinergys wheels. Ya more pics when u can would rock big times. Be safe and ride hard man Ty again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.