Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Not dead yet, just playin
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, another slotted Inbred question. I've read where Brant says the Avid BB7 Road calipers will fit in the rear of the Inbred, but I want to make sure this was true even for the itty-bitty 14" frame. I'm not sure of the differences between the "mountain" and "road" calipers (other than cable-pull), and I'm sure a mountain BB7 won't fit in the 14" frame.

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

op

·
sonoranbiker
503 Posts
As far as I know, the only difference between the road and mountain calipers is the reach (not sure that's the right word), or the amount of lever pull it takes to activate the brake. Road levers have a shorter reach, so the road version is made to work with them.

If a mountain caliper will fit, a road one should fit.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Someone succeeded in using a mechanical brake on a slotted Inbred. I thought I saved the link, but have not found it yet. I do not remember what size frame.

Maybe a friend or the LBS has a mechanical you can borrow to see if it will fit?

·
Registered
51 Posts
the mounts will be the same regardless of the frame size.... the caliper will fit but unless youre using some sort of road lever they will feel terrible.

·
Registered
416 Posts
the only problem is that mech calipers are a bit bigger. So when the mount is positioned between the CS en SS there could be clearance issues.

The road caliper has a shorter lever for short reach handlebar levers. That might fit.

·
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for everyone replies. It sounds like there's not much experience with the horizontal drop Inbreds yet. The issues are two-fold: 1) the disc mount between the chainstay and seatstay reduces the amount of room to mount a big caliper like the BB7 and 2) The angle between the seatstay and chainstay at the dropout is smaller on the 14" frame compared to the larger frames.

I've seen pics of BB7s working on 18" and 20" frames, but on the 14" frame the BB7's actuator arm hits the seatstay when the brake is not being used. I've heard that "road" BB7s have a different shaped arm that does not hit on the larger frames, but I wonder if the angle between chainstay and seatstay is so small on the 14" that even the road BB7 wouldn't fit..

The whole thing may be a lost cause, but I'd thought I'd ask....

op

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I would have thought a BB7 road would work. The issue on the mountainbike version is the length/position of the arm/nut on the arm.

With the road caliper it's much shorter and more compact.

I've got one in the shed, and frames should be here next week. I'll check (unless they all sell out straightaway).

·
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would have thought a BB7 road would work. The issue on the mountainbike version is the length/position of the arm/nut on the arm.

With the road caliper it's much shorter and more compact.

I've got one in the shed, and frames should be here next week. I'll check (unless they all sell out straightaway).
I took a gamble and ordered a Road BB7. It got here today and the answer to the fit question is....

Nope. Sorry. Doesn't fit...

Just from eyeballing, it looks like the '08 Road BB7 has the same size actuator arm as the old BB7 (so old its a BBDB) I was trying to make work. I wasn't sure how I was going to deal with the internal cam differences between the two, but it looks like I won't even get to that problem since the caliper doesn't fit well enough to use.

There may be a way to get a BB7 to work if the wheel is all the way forward in the dropouts. If I get lucky and the gearing I'd like to run results in that, I may be golden, but I seriously doubt it will work out that way.

So for future reference, the only safe bet for a tiny Inbred (slotted) frame is a hydrauilic caliper...

op

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.