Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it works on the RC4, it'll work on the DHX... they have the same stock spring.

The reason I was asking is that bikewagon has the Manitou Ti-springs for $99 right now. Options are pretty limited, but the 500lb spring works for me. I ordered one and will see if it fits. I'm tempted to buy one of the Swinger 6-way coil shocks since they are under a hundred and the 4 way is $87.

http://www.bikewagon.com/Forks-Headsets-Suspension/Rear-Shocks/Rear-Shock-Parts/tc311069/

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Interesting. I thought Manitou coils were basically the same size as Progressive springs...which means slightly bigger. In many cases a Progressive spring will rub the piggyback on a DHX shock. If I remember correctly, a Progressive spring can be collar shimmed to prevent this if you find the right spring collar or make one. A stock Progressive spring looks like it works fine on a DHX until full compression of the shock, and you start finding scrape and gouge marks on the piggyback body. Yes, some of this depends on the spring rate and the wound coil material diameter too. Perhaps there's a tiny difference in size between the Manitou and Progressive springs, but I thought they were the same standard...and then the Manitou Ti spring might be a tiny bit different too from the steel spring. Not claiming that it won't work...just watch for possible coil/piggyback interference under full compression.

Attachments

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
hitman261 said:
rogue what lb spring are you using?
Hi using a 450 x 2.75 Manitou Ti spring (with no funky spacers). Note I'm running a DHX RC4 which (I think) the piggyback is slightly further away than a DHX 5.0. So far there are no rub marks... on the piggyback

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rogue said:
Hi using a 450 x 2.75 Manitou Ti spring (with no funky spacers). Note I'm running a DHX RC4 which (I think) the piggyback is slightly further away than a DHX 5.0. So far there are no rub marks... on the piggyback
Very cool. I ordered a 500 x 2.75. Hopefully it'll be OK.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know the shock travel on your bike, but since it's a 2.75" spring instead of 2.5, the coil will not compress all the way, which probably helps. Well, we'll see. That spring looks a lot like the DSP finish AND printing which is fine with me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hope this isn't too much of a hijack.

Can anyone educate me on the actual or perceived differences in the quality/performance of the various titanium springs out there ? I see RCS springs starting at $245, DSP $170 and now Manitou for $99 (2.5 x 450 lbs). Is there a real performance difference that accounts for the huge range of prices ?

I'd like to get a ti spring for my RC4. If a $99 Manitou spring is going to perform as good as a $245 RCS then I'm all over that.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not a hijack and I'm not sensitive to those really... there isn't really a difference. DSP has some cycle testing stuff on their website and they are very long lasting. The Manitou will perform as well. I don't think they have a 2.5 for $99, just the 2.75 unless I missed that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
gticlay said:
It's not a hijack and I'm not sensitive to those really... there isn't really a difference. DSP has some cycle testing stuff on their website and they are very long lasting. The Manitou will perform as well. I don't think they have a 2.5 for $99, just the 2.75 unless I missed that.
You're right, the Manitou is a 2.75, missed that, but I suppose if they did make a 2.5 it would be priced similarly.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess the DSP is probably my best bet for the RC4, unless the Manitou 2.75 would fit, I'd have to find the free length. My stock Fox 450 x 2.8 has a free length of 136mm.

Anyway, thanks for letting me jump in on the thread. :)

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FOX 550lb x 2.80" Steel:
1.385" ID (35.17mm)
2.100" OD (53.33mm)

Manitou 500lb x 2.75" Ti:
1.437" ID (36.5mm)
2.218" OD (56.3mm)

The difference in freelength is only .15" or about 3mm. (149mm vs 152mm). Not sure why Verminitrex's free length is so short!

So, they are a little bit different. The ID is identical to the DSP Ti Spring I was running on my DHX 5.0. It did not rub on the DHX but did when I put it on a Vanilla R/C. I'm going to e-mail DSP tomorrow since I have a direct e-mail from when I bought the others and see if they are the same manufacturer.

The 3mm OD difference, with a shim, would be only 1.5mm If you don't shim the ID and it slides over the full difference of the ID's, then it could be another 1.3mm, which is about 3mm. This is slightly problematic because there is only about 4.5mm of room between the stock steel spring and the piggyback. SOOoooooo, I'm going to get the Obtanium performance adaptors (maybe the bearing setup...) to shim it properly since the Obtainium is made to the same size as well. The only weird thing is Obtainium recommends you remove the blue knob when running their springs. So obviously this is a common issue!
http://www.obtainiumperformanceproducts.com/products.php

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I went to the bike shop today to pick up some obtanium spacers. They are too big to fit so that's out. They also had a DSP spring on hand so we compared them. They were exactly the same (Manitou and DSP). The guy at the shop commented how they are the same finish and printing. Anyway, so I'm just going to run the darn thing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
gticlay said:
FOX 550lb x 2.80" Steel:
1.385" ID (35.17mm)
2.100" OD (53.33mm)

Manitou 500lb x 2.75" Ti:
1.437" ID (36.5mm)
2.218" OD (56.3mm)

The difference in freelength is only .15" or about 3mm. (149mm vs 152mm). Not sure why Verminitrex's free length is so short!

http://www.obtainiumperformanceproducts.com/products.php
I'm not sure why the free length is so much shorter than yours, unless it's a factor of 550lb vs 450lb rate, but it's what came with my Nomad Mk2.

Anyway, thanks for the info and please let us know if you experience any contact between the spring and the piggyback on your RC4 !

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
vermintrex said:
I'm not sure why the free length is so much shorter than yours, unless it's a factor of 550lb vs 450lb rate, but it's what came with my Nomad Mk2.

Anyway, thanks for the info and please let us know if you experience any contact between the spring and the piggyback on your RC4 !
Dunno, but my 550 is at least 1/4" taller than my 500lb. Also, you'll have to stay away from DSP and Obtainium if you don't like the Manitou dimensions. I guess Renton's?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.