Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
Shy, I ran one on my '00 Salty and it fit, but barely. I'm sure you've read that the big Geaxs can be a bit wobbly until you get them seated just right, and I had to be particular about that, plus be diligent in keeping my rim true. That said, it worth it, as the Sturdy, despite it's weight, is the best rear tire I've ever used. And strangely, even though I understood that the Salty & the X-5 use the same rear triangle, I had plenty of room when I moved the tire & rim over to the new '04 X-5. Maybe Sherwood massaged the rear triangle design a bit over the years? Go for it; I got mine thru Larry for a very good price.
- Joe

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What Geax is meant to be paired with the Sturdy?

...Is the Sturdy exclusively a rear tire?

Thanks for the input

Feel the gin

NuMexJoe said:
Shy, I ran one on my '00 Salty and it fit, but barely. I'm sure you've read that the big Geaxs can be a bit wobbly until you get them seated just right, and I had to be particular about that, plus be diligent in keeping my rim true. That said, it worth it, as the Sturdy, despite it's weight, is the best rear tire I've ever used. And strangely, even though I understood that the Salty & the X-5 use the same rear triangle, I had plenty of room when I moved the tire & rim over to the new '04 X-5. Maybe Sherwood massaged the rear triangle design a bit over the years? Go for it; I got mine thru Larry for a very good price.
- Joe

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
00 = Bushing?

NuMexJoe said:
- Joe
Was your 00 A bushing Salt? If so, then yes when the switch to Bearings was made the stays were made a bit wider for fatter tires.

-A

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Btw...

******* said:
...Is the Sturdy exclusively a rear tire?

Thanks for the input

Feel the gin
I fit a 2.4 WTB Mutano with ease in my rear stays. Actual width 55mm casing 57mm knobs.

Conti Vertical Pro Casing 53mm, 58mm knobs clears easily as well.

So find out what the Sturdy's actual mm measurements are and you can tell fairly easily if it will fit. Basically anything under 60mm ultimate width appears to clear quite easily. Shiggy's site is a great reference for this.

-A

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm currently running the Verts...

...the width of the Sturdies intrigued me and people rave about em. But I still haven't gathered what Geax suggests you run on the front. I'm wondering how Sturdies front and rear will work.

So you like the 2.4 mutanos, huh? They sure are light. Just wondering how they'll work around here.

Ciclistagonzo said:
I fit a 2.4 WTB Mutano with ease in my rear stays. Actual width 55mm casing 57mm knobs.

Conti Vertical Pro Casing 53mm, 58mm knobs clears easily as well.

So find out what the Sturdy's actual mm measurements are and you can tell fairly easily if it will fit. Basically anything under 60mm ultimate width appears to clear quite easily. Shiggy's site is a great reference for this.

-A

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
Yep, that'd be the difference. Guess Ventana didn't make much ado about the change, but my '04 has plenty of room. It was tight enough on my Salty that I could easily make the tire rub when I was standing in the saddle.
- Joe

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
Not sure. Reading the boards here, some folks run the Sturdy front & rear, but it is acknowledged to a better rear tire, and there are better options for up front. I ran a Sedona 2.25 at first, and it was average (although it was fast). It wore out quickly, so I got a Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35, which was a marked improvement. But the Kenda Blue Groove 2.35 I've got up front now is the best yet for my riding locales. I hear good things about the Blade 2.25 as a front tire, if you really wanted to stick with a Geax product.
- Joe

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Agree...

NuMexJoe said:
Yep, that'd be the difference. Guess Ventana didn't make much ado about the change, but my '04 has plenty of room. It was tight enough on my Salty that I could easily make the tire rub when I was standing in the saddle.
- Joe
they didn't make much ado. Just considered it refinement of the frame.

I could cause my 2.24 Mutano to rub on my Marble, so being able to clear 2.4's on my Bushing Salt was a big difference for me.

-Aaron

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
'03 Salt with

2.25 Sturdys and I am very happy with them. They are wide and have a fair amount of volume because they are tall, so I can run them a little softer.
They corner very well, are predictable, and hold up very well so far. I've had them on for a year all over western Colorado and NM.

·
Registered
459 Posts
fatties fit

Mike-
I saw a few of your posts on this board before - I ride a Salt and live in Cville as well - Eric told me about you. I run a Sturdy and it fits with plenty of clearance. Feel free to send me an email at "Jayoutside AT hotmail DOT com" - would be cool to hook up for a ride one day
Jay

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Jay....

...thanks for the input. Are you running Sturdies front and Rear or did you go with, say, the Blade up front?

Which "Eric" are we talkin' bout? Frankly, I'm surprised we never met before.

I'll drop ya an email.

jayoutside said:
Mike-
I saw a few of your posts on this board before - I ride a Salt and live in Cville as well - Eric told me about you. I run a Sturdy and it fits with plenty of clearance. Feel free to send me an email at "Jayoutside AT hotmail DOT com" - would be cool to hook up for a ride one day
Jay

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
******* said:
...thanks for the input. Are you running Sturdies front and Rear or did you go with, say, the Blade up front?

Which "Eric" are we talkin' bout? Frankly, I'm surprised we never met before.

I'll drop ya an email.
I'm running Sturdys on both front and rear with good success and clearance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.