Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know if a AVA sleeve will fit on a 02 SB? any clearance issues? i have float rl and would like to add a AVA sleeve for more linear compression, then have it PUSHed. also, anybody know of where the best deal for a sleeve would be?

thanks

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
For the 4.5" links, I would recommend the new 05/06 Float R or RP3 instead. By the time you buy the AVA sleeve (assuming it fits and you can find one) and then get it PUSH'ed, you could have bought a new version of the Float R. The newer versions have lower compression ratios for a spring rate very close to the AVA. This will be a big improvement over your old Float. They are also significantly lighter than an AVA (about 100g on the 7.87", I'm not sure on the 6.5").

If you have the long travel 5.7" links, the AVA won't fit and neither will most other newer shocks.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
It will fit only on the 4.5" rockers or 5.25" ones. Not on the original 5.7" ones. I would not recommend you use it on the 4.5" setup. The leverage ratio is so high you will blow through the travel on a pebble. It will work pretty well if you turn the volume adjuster all the way in to get it closer to the standard float volume.

·
Old Fart at Play
637 Posts
It fits on the 6.5" i2i

Hecubus said:
It will fit only on the 4.5" rockers or 5.25" ones. Not on the original 5.7" ones. I would not recommend you use it on the 4.5" setup. The leverage ratio is so high you will blow through the travel on a pebble. It will work pretty well if you turn the volume adjuster all the way in to get it closer to the standard float volume.
I have mine (4.5") turned in to the 4 line (about half way) and it works well there for me (180lbs.), I'm not into big drops. It is an improvement over the stock Float in my opinion. More linear, less spikey. I purchased mine at Hammerheadbikes for $75, don't know if they still have them. Titus recommended against the use of the AVA, FWIW. I might sell mine when the SB goes on the auction block.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.