Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Fargo clone except:

- it has a regular through axle dropouts, as opposed to Alternator dropouts (not good for single speed or Rohloff),
- it has high stand over (not good for mountainy stuff or dropper posts, good for frame bag volume),
- it has a flat mount rear brake instead of pm mounts (I prefer brake mounts on the dropouts instead of the frame),
- and has fancy welds on the inside of the frame (pretty I guess).

·
Lone Wolf
1,790 Posts
This alone would stop me from considering this bike:

WilierTriestinaJaroonPlus2016-10.jpg

No replaceable derailleur hanger, very bad Idea.....

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fargo clone except:

- it has a regular through axle dropouts, as opposed to Alternator dropouts (not good for single speed or Rohloff),
- it has high stand over (not good for mountainy stuff or dropper posts, good for frame bag volume),
- it has a flat mount rear brake instead of pm mounts (I prefer brake mounts on the dropouts instead of the frame),
- and has fancy welds on the inside of the frame (pretty I guess).
I'm gonna have to disagree with your opening statement of it being a Fargo clone. The top tube angle is no wear near as steep on the Jaroon as it is on the Fargo. The head tube angle is differs is stack and reach. The Fargo is merely a mountain bike frame with drop bars. The Jaroon is closer to having road geometry. As for as the replaceable RD hanger, many companies are going away from that. And I personally prefer it as it is on the Jaroon. My Krampus is the same way. Replaceable hangers are made to bend and self destruct. Solid mount straps not and in turn are much harder to bend but very easy to bend back, should you do so. And as for as the brakes go, they are far superior on the Jaroon.

IMHO, it's a well thought out Gravel bike, which is what I'd be using it for, not single track mountain biking, which is what you compared it to.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Replaceable hangers are made to bend and self destruct. Solid mount straps not and in turn are much harder to bend but very easy to bend back, should you do so.
So solid mounts are hard to bend but very easy to bend back? Also, once it's bent, it'll never be as strong as it was before.

And as for as the brakes go, they are far superior on the Jaroon.
How so?

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
Looks very cool, 29x3 is going to be smooth.

But I have my gravel bike in transit. Opted for carbon with Apex1 to try this SRAM thing again. I can only run 45's though with enough mud clearance.

·
Lone Wolf
1,790 Posts
If you're going around bending and breaking RD hangers, you should probably go back to Walmart bikes.
Happens when you ride single track.. I always carry a spare and have bent two in four years,, on the same bike, both times on Intermediate level trails. When the subject comes up we find that more than half the riders out there carry a spare hanger.
A good local bike shop will carry them and suggest you get one when you buy a bike. That Is IF you ride single track.

Experienced riders know that the very first thing you do If your having shifting Issues Is flip the bike up and over then look from the rear down the chain line so you can see a straight derailleur/chain/ cassette alignment before you turn the first screw....

Most common cause of bent hangers Is tagging rocks and roots, next most common Is laying the bike down, gear side down. I bent my second by snagging a vine.

In all of our local bike shops when a non removable hanger is bent the repair stops until the customer Is called, and It Is explained that re-alignment of this frame section can and will weaken It and possibly render the frame 'Expensive Garage wall art' :p

But If you ride only flat or green beginner trails I would not think this an Issue.

We have seen many Walmart bikes come to our trails and 4 out of 5 are walked out on the first ride. The ones that do make It out are never seen again~

·
Lone Wolf
1,790 Posts
Drop Bars, 3.0 tires,, Don't they call that class of Gravel bike, 'Monster Cross' ?

28.6 pounds, rigid, no dropper seat post, seems kinda heavy even while considering the big wheels~n~tires..

My Trek Cross Rip 3 Is what I consider heavy for a gravel bike at 24 pounds with my heavy saddle and pedals. Aluminum frame, carbon fork, rides very smooth, no harshness that's common In aluminum bikes as far as I can tell.

I have a Chromoly LWB Easy Racer Tour Easy LE recumbent and love the frame flex, It's like real suspension. That bike Is light to me at 36 pounds but It has a 96" wheel base.

Then again, one of the oldest saying's In the bike world, "Steel Is Real"

·
Lone Wolf
1,790 Posts
I can't believe all the haters here of this amazing bike. Wow... Sad.
I don't hate the bike at all, Its a really nice looking sled, But I have bent derailleur hangers.
Most Modern bikes have a replaceable hanger for a reason. I Find It amazing that a company would build a bike like that without that critical detail.
And I like aluminum for DF bikes better than Chromoly bikes.

These Forums,, we give our opinions when asked........

·
Big wheels keep on rollin
368 Posts
Happens when you ride single track.. I always carry a spare and have bent two in four years,, on the same bike, both times on Intermediate level trails. When the subject comes up we find that more than half the riders out there carry a spare hanger.
A good local bike shop will carry them and suggest you get one when you buy a bike. That Is IF you ride single track.

Experienced riders know that the very first thing you do If your having shifting Issues Is flip the bike up and over then look from the rear down the chain line so you can see a straight derailleur/chain/ cassette alignment before you turn the first screw....

Most common cause of bent hangers Is tagging rocks and roots, next most common Is laying the bike down, gear side down. I bent my second by snagging a vine.

In all of our local bike shops when a non removable hanger is bent the repair stops until the customer Is called, and It Is explained that re-alignment of this frame section can and will weaken It and possibly render the frame 'Expensive Garage wall art' :p

But If you ride only flat or green beginner trails I would not think this an Issue.

We have seen many Walmart bikes come to our trails and 4 out of 5 are walked out on the first ride. The ones that do make It out are never seen again~
this is a steel bike... steel hangers are much more durable and can be realigned many times without any fatigue to the material. Aluminum hangers have to be replaced nearly every time as they have significantly less ductility than steel. Also steel dropouts can be replaced by any competent frame-builder.

Personally I like the bike, and would consider it over a Deadwood. I'd like to know more about their internal weld process ( Rocket Engine guy) but it looks like it would be a ripper.

mike

·
Professional Slacker
3,271 Posts
this is a steel bike... steel hangers are much more durable and can be realigned many times without any fatigue to the material. Aluminum hangers have to be replaced nearly every time as they have significantly less ductility than steel. Also steel dropouts can be replaced by any competent frame-builder.

Personally I like the bike, and would consider it over a Deadwood. I'd like to know more about their internal weld process ( Rocket Engine guy) but it looks like it would be a ripper.

mike
Straightening a hanger isn't that simple. They don't have hinges, or one single place where they bend, so "straightening" them doesn't make them like new either.

Also, steel dropouts can be replace by a framebuilder....after you strip, cut, reweld that dropout that you found because it's sooooo common, and then repaint the frame. Or you could just take a removable one off and replace it in five minutes including removing/replacing the rear wheel, derailleur and taking a sip of beer.

Actually, a lot of this whole "it's steel, so a competent frame builder can repair it" is complete bunk because it ends up being cheaper and simpler to just replace the frame with a new one because we're not talking about fillet brazed lugged frames anymore...and haven't been for quite some time.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've straightened them at bike shops with a Crescent wrench.
+1. No biggie to adjust with a crescent wrench, just open to slightly bigger than the thickness of the hanger then you can adjust the flare and rotation/yaw.

This winter I'll be converting my Norco Torrent to a drop bar gravel bike, similar idea to the Wilier except I'll be running 27.5 x 2.8 Schwalbe G-One for better pavement/hardpack speed.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
+1. No biggie to adjust with a crescent wrench, just open to slightly bigger than the thickness of the hanger then you can adjust the flare and rotation/yaw.

Park realignment tool makes it easy. Even aluminum hangers can be tweaked once or twice as long as not too badly bent in the first place.

BL.jpg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts