Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while I was out on my bike I saw 3 whitetail deer, a couple of ruffed grouse & a pileated woodpecker. Last summer on 2 separate rides I saw a pair of wolves 1 day & another the second day.

What have the rest of you seen while out riding?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
revrnd said:
Today while I was out on my bike I saw 3 whitetail deer, a couple of ruffed grouse & a pileated woodpecker. Last summer on 2 separate rides I saw a pair of wolves 1 day & another the second day.

I saw lots of blondes, brunettes and some red head. They all look hot to me at the waterfront in Toronto, canada.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
revrnd said:

True story from 2 summers ago.I came flying around a sharp turn on a heavily wooded trail and almost read ended a whitetail.Thankfully it heard the loud squeal of my brakes and immediately leadped off the trail.

·
Sharp rocks hurt...
276 Posts
A couple rides ago I almost ran over a rattle snake. I'm not sure I didn't... The damn thing was stretched out in the trail. The kids I were riding with started throwing rocks at it to see if it was alive and it started rattling. We all rode away very quickly ;) Kile, other kid thought he saw a wild bore, but we think he was just seeing things.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
revrnd said:

Ran across some wild turkeys on the trail last time. The animals, not the drink.

JmZ

·
Registered
483 Posts
An Octopus!

Actually, it was a part of an octopus along the road on the way to the trail. They're used as bait for halibut, etc. here, so i assume it fell out of a boat on a trailer.

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
Huge groups of turkeys. I'll chase them down the trail and they run really fast. Once they're in flight though it's like watching a B52 take off. Lots of deer. Snapping turtles, box turtles. Assorted snakes. I saw a snake last week that acted like a rattler but was missing conspicuous signs like a rattle and viper's head. Groundhogs, squirrels, rabbits, and once, a bobcat. I live way out in the country and ride the Katy trail a lot ( http://www.mostateparks.com/katytrail/index.html ) and happen upon tons of animals in my rides. Usually we've got 5-8 deer in the back yard, including a 10pt buck, and I've woken up several times to groups of turkeys feeding in the backyard.

·
Registered
200 Posts
wildlife

revrnd said:

Deer, black bear, fox, squirrels, wild turkeys, snakes, cats - feral ones.

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
In order of how commonly seen:

ground hogs (stupid Boulder environmentalists are to ground hogs as hindus are to cows)
deer (need more mountain lions)
fox (not timid at all)
coyote
black bear
Elk
mountain lion (OK I've not seen them, but I'm sure they've seen me)

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
revrnd said:

Mule deer, elk, moose, snakes (including rattlers), grouse, peregrin falcons, praire falcons, eagles, many other birds, black bear, lots of little critters, domestic animals like cows and sheep, etc.

Last weekend we road in Yellowstone (road closed to cars). Riding around bison who are wandering on the roads is a freaky experience. They are huge.

We have mountain lion, wolves and griz around here, but I haven't seen them while on a bike... yet I have had the misfortune of riding through a cloud of pepper spray that some backpackers were "testing." That wasn't a fun consequence of riding in grizzly country.

We also see lots of people on horses on the trails around here. Nearly all of them are very friendly (people and horses), but on narrow trails, that can be an overly intimate on-trail animal experience. Most of the groups of horsemen pack arsenals, which can make bike-horse experiences even more interesting.

But the worse "animal" encounters are when we end up riding through National Forest areas that people use for shooting ranges. We've come across people practicing their "quick draw" by shooting into a switchback. And, often, it is whole families shooting. Let me tell you, I don't feel as safe when 5-15 year old kids are the ones popping off lots of rounds. In those cases, we bikers can't help but feel a little like "hunted" animals.

It's all good though.

·
commutin' Canuck
108 Posts
Lots of deer, black bear, assorted birds, elk. I think the coolest thing was a few years ago. I was cranking pretty hard trying to catch up to the group (I'd wiped out and told everyone to keep going). I rounded a corner and there was a bit of a puddle. I decided it didn't look that deep, so I aimed right for the center of it. Oops. Front wheel augered in and suddenly I'm Superman. Landed face first in some mud, luckily a soft landing. A shadow flew quickly over my head. I looked up and a great horned owl had just landed on a tree branch. I'm pretty sure he would have laughed at me if he was able.

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Captain Kana said:
All in Nisene Marks: Deer, wild pigs (once, sleeping on the side of the fireroad), skunks, bobcats, and yes, a mountain lion and young.
Dan C.
Yep, I've seen those pigs In Nisene; once on a downhill fire road they jumped out of the brush and gave chase. I looked back and they were "pealing out" try to get up to speed - luckily it was a fast downhill. Don't know what they wanted with me, but I doubt I would have liked it much!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.