Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wonder how many of these were produced?
Anyone have an idea?
I've been searching for one for a long time, never see them.

Boom Tube URT's, I know, not many like the asthetic

...Bon Tempe I mean

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Pulli said:
I wonder how many of these were produced?
Anyone have an idea?
I've been searching for one for a long time, never see them.

Boom Tube URT's, I know, not many like the asthetic
You mean the Bon Tempe. Not many were made. There's a photo of Steve Potts' son riding a Bon Tempe here - although it's hard to make out the bike. If you e-mailed Steve through his site, he'd probably be able to tell you how many were made.

·
Registered
508 Posts
little more info

i don't know if this is straight up fact, but i heard that mark slate said that only 12 of them left mill valley with the Titanium rearend built by steve, and the rest had aluminum rear ends.

that's just what i heard.

couple years ago around 2002 you could buy them from WTB as a dealer for $900 with the seatpost and shock, must have been the ones with alu rear ends.

just some info i heard.

cool bikes though, and the last time i was at Steve's he had a BonTempe in the shop getting a redo to the Ti rearend. cool bikes.

all for now
nate

·
Registered
508 Posts
wait

whud i said?

i wonder if that was the fellows saddle height or if it was that high to be in the work stand, but judging by the height of the bars must have been a big fellow.

cool bikes huh?

38.1mm seatpost!

nate

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hard to find

I've only ever seen one in person.Not many out East,
I've been trying to track one down for years. Can't find a Bow-Ti either.
Maybe Mr. Potts would make one now?
I think he might be doing Bow-Ti for Castellano now.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Full suspension is pretty nice dude.

....though I guess it depends on where, how, and what kind of rider you are.
I think he is a WTB-rider so it does fit his riding type. :)

I'ld have a sussie in the garage if a good one could be had for less than the price of three or more really cool vintage bikes. I just haven't gotten to the point where $2-3k for one new bike doesn't look as attractive as spending the same money on a handfull of vintage bikes.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
dRjOn said:
didn't charlie c have one with a reworked manitou fork and 29" front wheel and reworked geometry?
Charlie has one that he says he's spent hours and hours fiddling with to try and get it to his liking. Its got a Manitou fork, but its not a 29" front wheel. It may have had that set up at one time, but not now. He's the ultimate tinkerer; always trying stuff out.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Pulli said:
I've only ever seen one in person.Not many out East,
I've been trying to track one down for years. Can't find a Bow-Ti either.
Maybe Mr. Potts would make one now?
I think he might be doing Bow-Ti for Castellano now.
One of the frames with the ti-rear was on ebay not a year ago with a BIN of $1100 IIRC. Good price for the right buyer. Probably just means one more is in Germany now.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Boy named SSue said:
I think he is a WTB-rider so it does fit his riding type. :)

I'ld have a sussie in the garage if a good one could be had for less than the price of three or more really cool vintage bikes. I just haven't gotten to the point where $2-3k for one new bike doesn't look as attractive as spending the same money on a handfull of vintage bikes.
Im a "WTB rider" and really cant say enough about the Cunningham and the Phoenix, but man, to not try out the new stuff and miss out on all that would be a shame I think. I sure enjoy them. In fact Ive never had more fun going downhill than I have on my new 6" travel bike. :eek:

Maybe you could compare riding 80s mtbs today to riding a high wheeler back in the '80s rather than say a current Cunningham. Ok, that might be a little too much, but you get my point. :)

Dont get me wrong, I still love to ride the old stuff and still do a decent amount... In fact Keyesville is coming up, I better start trying to get back my rusty rigid skills.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
Im a "WTB rider" and really cant say enough about the Cunningham and the Phoenix, but man, to not try out the new stuff and miss out on all that would be a shame I think. I sure enjoy them. In fact Ive never had more fun going downhill than I have on my new 6" travel bike. :eek:

Maybe you could compare riding 80s mtbs today to riding a high wheeler back in the '80s rather than say a current Cunningham. Ok, that might be a little too much, but you get my point. :)

Dont get me wrong, I still love to ride the old stuff and still do a decent amount... In fact Keyesville is coming up, I better start trying to get back my rusty rigid skills.
I'm not arguing that my choices are smart ones. Hell, I demo'ed a blur a month ago and loved it. I just have a hard time paying the money it would take to get a good one. If I had a better income, I'ld have done it years ago. I was joking that if I had saved most of the money I have spent on vintage bikes over the last few years, I would have the sussie I would want. I just lack the two abilities of passing a good vintage deal or saving up for something over time.

I really do think that a good duallie complements the vintage collection and even helps one appreciate the older stuff.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the woods

I think these URT's from Ibis, WTB (Rocky Mountain too) are great in the woods.
Great in tight stuff. Great over logs and such. I think a lot of the new stuff is neat too,
but everyone has dismissed the URT in favor of new frames that have become more viable with new shock technology. New shock technology could also favor these designs as well, but they're gone.

I like them because they work for me. But, I still ride rigid a lot too and that works for me too. It's funny you see a bike and your like, yeah I'll get around to one of them. Then they go away and I want one more:madman: . Hence my elusive quest for the Bow-Ti and Bon Tempe.

Still have the Szazbo:)

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Boy named SSue said:
I'm not arguing that my choices are smart ones. Hell, I demo'ed a blur a month ago and loved it. I just have a hard time paying the money it would take to get a good one. If I had a better income, I'ld have done it years ago. I was joking that if I had saved most of the money I have spent on vintage bikes over the last few years, I would have the sussie I would want. I just lack the two abilities of passing a good vintage deal or saving up for something over time.

I really do think that a good duallie complements the vintage collection and even helps one appreciate the older stuff.
I hear ya. Vintage bikes certainly are more fun to look at and have much more soul and character.

I think it depends on your riding style and terrain as well. Ive recently fallen in love with some new trails that really are a blast on the newer, longer travel bikes. But I can go out on a solo ride on a rigid and have just as enjoyable an experience. Just has a different flavor.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

G

·
any comments/ideas/thoughts on the similarity between the BonTempe and the Klein Mantra? the Mantra usually gets dissed (usually for wrong reasons...), just wonder if the BonTempe rides considerably different.

Carsten

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,484 Posts
Carsten said:
the Mantra usually gets dissed (usually for wrong reasons...)
Implicatione bveing there are right reasons to diss on it? FWIW, I would be a disser, rode one once, I'll reserve comment, wondering what you mean. Not being obnoxious, genuinely curious. I know some love 'em, what does a lover, not love about them? Sorry for the brief thread highjack!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.