Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry if this has been addressed in previous posts, but...

1. Course - Are there any course descriptions out there?

2. Lodging - I googled Coburn, PA, and it sounds like it is smaller than Mayberry...

Thanks,

R

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
you could get a hotel in state college?

the singletrack is rocky fun goodness...

i hear there is a lot of fireroad to break up said rocky fun goodness... i also hear lots of the rocky fun goodness comes late in the race.

sorry it is my first year out there as well and i plan on camping.

only time i rode out there was for the singlespeed worlds a couple years back and the terrain is awesome! not what you'd call easy... me and my singlespeed look forward to reuniting with the rocks.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Coburn is maller than Mayberry indeed. I stayed in State College last year, woke up mega early and made the drive in quick. There's NO traffic at 4:30 a.m. :) Of course you can also camping for free right at the start/finish.

There is a ton of climbing, mostly on fire roads and forest service roads, there of course is then a lot of down hills mostly on rocky break open a kidney single track. They put on a great race and make it worth you while and entry fee. Good luck.

·
Prez NMBA
719 Posts
for what its worth theres a map and elevation profile on the www.nittanymba.org site under the maps button. its in the neighborhood of 70% gravel road 30% trail, nothing too crazy technical at least as us locals are concern. as has been said, coburn is tiny, theres a b&b or two around it that cater to the trout fishing crowd, you might be able to scare something up there. theres also the milheim hotel, i think they still do rooms, just up the road from coburn but i heard a few guys grubmling about it as its right on the main drag and the kids like to race their cars up and down there all night on fridays.

·
Now broadcasting from CO
1,225 Posts
The other guys have the course description down well. It's one of my favorite race courses anywhere. I would recommend camping. Did the wake up at 4:30 in state college thing last year and didn't really enjoy it... camping is worth it.

-PA

·
Registered
92 Posts
Stoopid 50 Vs. W101

I'm thinking about doing W101 and I wonder how it stacks up to Stoopid 50 since they're in somewhat ovelapping areas. I did SM100 a few years ago and I've heard that the W101 is faster (more fireroad vs singletrack climbing). Has anyone done S50 and W101? Care to share times? I did a 10'50" SM100 (geared) and I've done 4 or 5 50's all right in the 6 hour range (SS). If I do it, I'm doing the W101 SS.

·
Prez NMBA
719 Posts
from talking to a number of people who have done both its a bit of split decision, seems to be what you favor, rocks vs gravel road climbs. the times are always longer in the 101, generally the 50 takes somebody about 2/3 the time of the 101. There is more and tougher single track in the 50, although, as previously mentioned some does over lap, but its the less rocky stuff from the 50 that the 101 goes over.

·
Registered
92 Posts
thanks

nmba guy said:
from talking to a number of people who have done both its a bit of split decision, seems to be what you favor, rocks vs gravel road climbs. the times are always longer in the 101, generally the 50 takes somebody about 2/3 the time of the 101. There is more and tougher single track in the 50, although, as previously mentioned some does over lap, but its the less rocky stuff from the 50 that the 101 goes over.
This is what I was looking for, so my 6 hour Stoopid = 9 hours W101. This also jibes with the SM100 vs W101 comparisons I've heard where my 10'50" SM100 would equal something like a 9+ hour W101 (assuming, of course, no bear attacks or UFO abductions).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tire Question -

Anyone with course experience willing to suggest tires for dry or wet conditions on this course?

I have heard it is real fast, but also pretty rocky in the singletrack sections. I would love to run slick/light tires but obviously don't want the dreaded tear.

I am running a tubeless 29er setup if that makes any difference.

Tires in my quiver;

Ignitor, Karma, Resolution Pros, Crows, Crossmark, nevegals, rampage, weirwolfs

I was considering (front:back) 2.1 karma: crows, 2.3 karma:2.1 karma, Ignitor:crossmark, resloution:karma

Thoughts?

·
Registered
159 Posts
camp

ain't nothing like experiencing the howls and rowls of the SM100.
The dancing starts at 5am with the gong.
The riding lasts till afternoon.
The partying non-stop till the wee hours of the morning.

There is a sweet place to swim if you head just 5 minutes out of the camp though. Be sure to hit that joint up after the race!

course - good climbs, good singletrack, some road when you are looking for it, ...
expect some damage to your sole along the way.
Possibly zaaa at 4000ft if you may. Show up early for a hot slice that day!

experience it- camp.

·
Registered
159 Posts
forgot to mention

if you camp, bring your own shtr!
The outhouses fill up in the morning with big line ups as everyone wants to dump.

Best to bring your own port-a-potty to avoid the masses in the morning.
Relieves the tension, literally! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've done SM100 3 times, last year at around 10:30. From what people are saying, I think my time should be sub 10 then for wilderness. As for the course, I read it's 70% fireroad, 30% singletrack. Is it mostly fireroad climbing, then singletrack descent? As for the rocks, downhill isn't THAT bad, but is there any major rocky climb? I'm having last minute thoughts to sign up, so just wanting some encouragement before the say comes. There is race day reg right?

·
Prez NMBA
719 Posts
the split fireroad/single track is about correct. all but one climb are on fireroads, the one single track climb is not rocky but kind of steep, about 800 verical feet in a mile and half or so. There are a couple "rocky" downhills, but nothing too crazy.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The biggest problem I found is that I was relying on the downhills to recover and that ain't gonna happen. They won't let you recover. They aren't horrible dh's but they make you pay attention for sure.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.