Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating doing one more long road ride this weekend (~90-100 miles) before the Wilderness 101 in 2 weeks but am wary of doing too much too late. My tapers for running marathons were always 3 weeks but I can recover quicker from long rides than long runs.

My common senses warns me of likely minimal benefits from one more long ride vs higher risk of serious negative impact from tired legs for the race; at this point, the "hay is in the barn" and it is hard to improve fitness much but you can destroy your training by overtraining. Any thoughts?

If I dont go long, will likely do 50-65 mile group road ride and mtn bike the next day.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
That's a great question as I'm in the same boat. I'm signed up for the Shenandoah 100 at the end of Aug and hoping that I can peak for the event, however, I have some huge riding in the weeks beforehand (trip to CO for a week and then the Cheat Mtn Challenge - 106 mile road ride with 10K feet of climbing) Cheat Mtn falls two weeks before Shenandoah so I'm hoping that it's enough time to recover and rest the legs with some shorter spinning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
I plan to do a long flat road ride this Saturday, ~75 miles, and am pretty sure that will be OK. I will not be riding Sun or during the week. I do plan on a 40 mile road ride next Sunday. That may not be smart but I promised to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,395 Posts
Bulldog-CT said:
I am debating doing one more long road ride this weekend (~90-100 miles) before the Wilderness 101 in 2 weeks but am wary of doing too much too late. My tapers for running marathons were always 3 weeks but I can recover quicker from long rides than long runs.

My common senses warns me of likely minimal benefits from one more long ride vs higher risk of serious negative impact from tired legs for the race; at this point, the "hay is in the barn" and it is hard to improve fitness much but you can destroy your training by overtraining. Any thoughts?

If I dont go long, will likely do 50-65 mile group road ride and mtn bike the next day.

Thanks
Well, it depends on if you've been regularly doing 90-100 mile rides. If so, I'd say to go for it. If that's the biggest ride you've done so far then I'd scale it down a bit. I.e. don't push SO hard that it totally wipes you out.

You're not going to "gain" fitness by doing the ride this weekend, but it will help you maintain the fitness you already have. I'd do a longish ride, and then throw in a few shorter, higher intensity rides early in the week. Take it really easy a couple of days before, and get out for a little bit of a ride the day before to wake up the legs.

Make sure to hydrate and rest well the week before.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,395 Posts
Scalp1000 said:
That's a great question as I'm in the same boat. I'm signed up for the Shenandoah 100 at the end of Aug and hoping that I can peak for the event, however, I have some huge riding in the weeks beforehand (trip to CO for a week and then the Cheat Mtn Challenge - 106 mile road ride with 10K feet of climbing) Cheat Mtn falls two weeks before Shenandoah so I'm hoping that it's enough time to recover and rest the legs with some shorter spinning.
That sounds just about perfect. Two weeks before the event is more than enough time to recover and also gain some fitness from it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,226 Posts
MightySchmoePong said:
Well, it depends on if you've been regularly doing 90-100 mile rides. If so, I'd say to go for it. If that's the biggest ride you've done so far then I'd scale it down a bit. I.e. don't push SO hard that it totally wipes you out.

You're not going to "gain" fitness by doing the ride this weekend, but it will help you maintain the fitness you already have. I'd do a longish ride, and then throw in a few shorter, higher intensity rides early in the week. Take it really easy a couple of days before, and get out for a little bit of a ride the day before to wake up the legs.

Make sure to hydrate and rest well the week before.

Good luck!
Pretty much sums up what I was gonna write :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Just to be clear, the race is 2 weeks from this coming Saturday so I would have two weeks to recover. From reading the above it appears that the last long ride 2 weeks out is OK so long as one doesnt over do it.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top