Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got the word there will be two small changesfrom last year's course.

One is shown on the maps as of now. There is a new section of trail, called Sass-X. It is not labled on the maps now. It is right after the downhill section of Upper Sassafras at about mile 65. It just keeps you off of a short section of flat fire road. The new trail is way cool and twisty and will keep unskilled gearies from passing and then holding back SS bikes on that section.

The section new section will be the Croyle Run Re-Route. Croyle Run is the first real downhill trail at about mile 43. The lower sections were badly washed out and just bad. We are re-routing it this weekend. Now it still will not be easy as it will be a downhill set of rock gardens will of baby-head size rock after rock.

Regarding the trail work, please see:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=209218
Or:
http://www.nittanymba.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1074

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dRjOn said:
would i be silly for using a 34 18 29"er on this?
No. If I go SS I will be runing a 32 by 18 on my 29er but I am a spinner content to be way dropped by everyone on all the flat road sections. There are lots of flat road sections so I think a slightly higher gear like yours will be the way to go. Now if you can spin like a track star, maybe go a little lower. The good SS fnishers in the past have run a wide range of gears, from 32/18 to like 36/16 on a 29ers. I ain't strong enouygh to push anything beyond the 32/18 for 50 miles out here much less 100. I have never know anyone to do well (sub-10 hours) on a gear lower than 32/20 on a 29er.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'll be there running 34-20 on my 29". I rode some of the course during the SSWC last August. I did have to push one climb, something with a name......maybe "the WALL"? It had a nice little metal sign on the side of the trail with the name. It was a very step section at the top of a long climb.

I passed people on most of the climbing running this gear and I think I'll be in better shape this year. There were times I felt like I couldn't get on top of the gear, mostly on a slightly inclined ridgetop trail. It may have been my lack of familiarity with a new bike, but I think if I could blast through the same section now.

If you are in good shape 34-18 should do just fine.

·
veinte nueve pulgadas
419 Posts
Much respect to you gents. I'm leaving the 32x18 Monkey at home and bringing the 1x9 WaltWorks. Some day I'll be man enough to ditch the gears completely, but that time hasn't come just yet.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few dedicated single-speed people I know that have done the 101 say it is tougher gealesss than 100 milers like the Shenadoah 100. Many more flat road sections where all the slow gear riders get in front of you before the next trail section.

I say choose gears over single, any 29er hardtail/softtail over any 26er hardtail/sfottail, and a 26 XC dual squish over a hardtail or trail/free-ride 26er. Do not fall for the lore of 1.8" tires, you need some size for comfort and pinch flat protection.

I am choosing to ride my Blur Classic instead of my 29er SS rig. Running a Specialized Roll-X front and Fast Track rear. If I had a geared 29er I would be taking it, but I don't.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey Raymo853, can you tell me how technical the single track will be? I have been trying to decide between my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro or my Salsa Dos Niner. I am much more comfortable in rocks and technical riding with the Stumpjumper and was leaning towards it. I know I would make up a lot of time on the fire roads with the Salsa but if I end up walking sections of singletrack, especially after I start getting tired, I'll lose any advantage I gained. I wish I was a better technical rider so the decision would be easier to take the Salsa. By the way they are both geared. I haven't tried the SS thing yet.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man that is such a relative question. I as a 8 year local consider it all pretty OK, however, people that came for the SSWC last year or novices to the W101 in past years have ranged from that was not too crazy to holy freaking mackerel!!

All I know is between those two choices I would go for the Dos Niner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.