Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
the bomb
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading over to wilder this afternoon. Anybody know what the trail conditions are? Any trails closed.

My planed loop includes englesman loop to old cabin to eucalyptus to twin oaks, then up wilder ridge loop to zane gray back.

anyone, anyone

thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'll be there in about an hour

pfunk said:
I'm heading over to wilder this afternoon. Anybody know what the trail conditions are? Any trails closed.

My planed loop includes englesman loop to old cabin to eucalyptus to twin oaks, then up wilder ridge loop to zane gray back.

anyone, anyone

thanks
I heard that Cabin is pretty good, but the fire roads are a little muddy. What time will you be there? and what are you riding?....I'll look for you there. I expect to hit the Eucalyptus grove about 12:30 or so

Have fun

·
the bomb
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm getting a late start

WarrGuru said:
I heard that Cabin is pretty good, but the fire roads are a little muddy. What time will you be there? and what are you riding?....I'll look for you there. I expect to hit the Eucalyptus grove about 12:30 or so

Have fun
Probably won't make it up there until around 1:00pm (to start the ride) so I'll probably miss you. Just incase, I ride an extra small gray titus loco moto. look for pigtails and a bright green switchblade :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
What a beautiful day!!!!

pfunk said:
Probably won't make it up there until around 1:00pm (to start the ride) so I'll probably miss you. Just incase, I ride an extra small gray titus loco moto. look for pigtails and a bright green switchblade :D
OK.......I'm confused. WIll you be on the loco and someone else on the Switchblade?

We may run into each other. I'll be riding a silver Trek Fuel.

Enjoy the ride. It's absolutely beautiful out there today!!

·
the bomb
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WarrGuru said:
OK.......I'm confused. WIll you be on the loco and someone else on the Switchblade?

We may run into each other. I'll be riding a silver Trek Fuel.

Enjoy the ride. It's absolutely beautiful out there today!!
switchblade helmet, sorry.

It is a beautiful day. I start a new job next week, so I just have to get out on a day like this. Soon I'll be stuck in the office.

Have fun

·
Registered
452 Posts
Just got back

pfunk said:
switchblade helmet, sorry.

It is a beautiful day. I start a new job next week, so I just have to get out on a day like this. Soon I'll be stuck in the office.

Have fun
from Wilder. I took a little longer ride than I had planned. I hit the Eucalyptus Grove at about 1. Most of the trails on the UC side are in good shape. I didn't have the time to drop into Wilder past the grove.

I wish I had the day off.....THis is the kind of day where I like to just keep going.

How were the trails that you hit? Cabin? Zane Grey?

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
from the looks of things, it must have been an amazing day for a ride at Wilder.

Warr, how are the conditions of the trails on the UCSC side? That is on the agenda for this weekend sometime...

·
Registered
21 Posts
The UCSC side has been looking really good over the last few days. The fire road has some slosh to it in places, but the trails are doing fine (carpets being perhaps the exception). Has anyone done Dead Campers recently? I walked up it last week and it looks a bit more edgy than i remember. Hows the ride?

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Justintime said:
The UCSC side has been looking really good over the last few days. The fire road has some slosh to it in places, but the trails are doing fine (carpets being perhaps the exception). Has anyone done Dead Campers recently? I walked up it last week and it looks a bit more edgy than i remember. Hows the ride?
I was thinking about checking out MCR this weekend. Sounds like that may not be a good idea? I would have to imagine Campers is in rough condition right now-especially that rocky decent towards the bottom!

Anyone got the 411 on UCSC trails? Help a brother out!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I might do carpets as well. Also, be cautious if you try lock em ups, 90% of the ladders, etc. are torn apart. The place is a graveyard. Kind of depressing, actually. Anyways, have a good ride.

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Justintime said:
I might do carpets as well. Also, be cautious if you try lock em ups, 90% of the ladders, etc. are torn apart. The place is a graveyard. Kind of depressing, actually. Anyways, have a good ride.
wow that's too bad. I hope someone starts to rebuild. That is a sweet trail. Although a lot of it was out of my league, it is fun to check it out and see what imaginations people had...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Not too bad

gobike said:
from the looks of things, it must have been an amazing day for a ride at Wilder.

Warr, how are the conditions of the trails on the UCSC side? That is on the agenda for this weekend sometime...
Justintime has it right. Most of the UC trails are fine. Carpet's still a bit of a mess. Lockemup looked pretty bad. I didn't check out campers. Those trails need about 2 more weeks of dry weather.

Most of the trails on the Hiway 9 side of UC are good, with the above noted exceptions.

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
sounds like i might strap on my hiking boots this weekend and go from "gobike" to gohike" to check out the trail system at UCSC.

·
3D guy
339 Posts
good idea...

gobike said:
sounds like i might strap on my hiking boots this weekend and go from "gobike" to gohike" to check out the trail system at UCSC.
I have ridden Wilder side a number of times but never the UC side. Since I am still recovering from a broken leg, hiking the trails to check them out sounds like a good idea. What is the recommended parking and access to the UC trails as I have not ridden them?

Thanks,
Geoff

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
gstahl said:
I have ridden Wilder side a number of times but never the UC side. Since I am still recovering from a broken leg, hiking the trails to check them out sounds like a good idea. What is the recommended parking and access to the UC trails as I have not ridden them?

Thanks,
Geoff
You should probably park at the turn out at the bottom of lockemups or at the Rincon parking pullout (just north of U-conn trail). Just remember that if you drop down on Magic Carpet, you'll have a longer than anticipated walk back to your car along Highway 9 than you would think.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I still don't fully understand why people dont utilize the UC trails more often. I may be missing something in Wilder, but it seems like the trails there are all pretty crowded and lacking in technical sections. Are there some secret trails there that are worth riding?

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Justintime said:
I still don't fully understand why people dont utilize the UC trails more often. I may be missing something in Wilder, but it seems like the trails there are all pretty crowded and lacking in technical sections. Are there some secret trails there that are worth riding?
The major difference between the two is that any good singletrack (minus U-Conn) at UCSC is illegal. UCSC Police have issued tickets in the past to trail poachers. Wilder is legal. There are a few "secret" trails that i am familiar w/. I haven't ridden them in some time, so I am not sure if they are still in any shape, but "mailboxes" and "emma" were two of them (accessed off of Empire Grade and the top of Long Meadow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
gobike said:
The major difference between the two is that any good singletrack (minus U-Conn) at UCSC is illegal. UCSC Police have issued tickets in the past to trail poachers. Wilder is legal. There are a few "secret" trails that i am familiar w/. I haven't ridden them in some time, so I am not sure if they are still in any shape, but "mailboxes" and "emma" were two of them (accessed off of Empire Grade and the top of Long Meadow.
ok, that makes sense. I have never once seen a ranger, but my friends have had some unfortunate run-ins. I have heard of mailboxes and for some reason i've never done it, but i've never heard of emma! Is it a quality trail? Thanks for the insight

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Justintime said:
Actually, I think your'e a bit confused on the trails. Lock 'em up's is an old horse trail that drops down from the main fireroad between the BMX area and Dead Camper's. It drops you off just south of Rincon pullout. There are no bridges/ladders, etc on this trail. It's pretty much a bomber type downhill, with shoots, roots, switchbacks, and rocks.

I'm not sure of the name of the trail you are speaking of, but I know that when it was operating, it dropped down from the large water tank, and dropped you off north of Rincon parking lot.

Anyone ride Carpet or Sick and Twisted lately? PM me w/ the details. UConn, Camper's and Lock em ups are in prime condition... Because these trails are illegal, I "hiked" them recently...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts