Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of heading down to Wilder this weekend but its a bit far to go to slog around in terrible mud or, even worse, to ride fire roads if the single track is closed. Anyone will some 411 on current conditions?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pisket said:
Enchanted loop was closed last Sunday, January 4.

Ali
Hmmmm :bluefrown: that's what I was afraid of. Then again, with this week's good weather it may be open again. Guess I'll have to take my chances and find out for myself. I'll let folks know what I find.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ride Old Cabin, thats good, ride Twin Oaks thats fun, ride Ridge loop to Zane Grey, thats also good. If Enchanted is open it's a must! Have fun, ride to twin gates and cross the road for some UCSC exploring, plenty to ride. In fact much of Wilder is a sandy packed down base which sucks up water well. Also with the 70* days coming up the tree's will be drinking the water again in the shadded areas. I rode Wilder Tuesday evening and it was in good shape, a few mud bogs here and there but nothing to bad.

Have a good one!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wilder was awesome today. Trails were in great shape, hardly any mud, and the weather was perfect. Did Engelsesmans>Wild Boar>Old Cabin>Enchanted Loop>Eucalyptus Loop>Wilder Ridge>Zane Gray>Wilder Ridge. Just short of 15 miles. Forgot how punishing to the body Zane Gray is on a hardtail:D

Lots of folks out there today. I didn't count but there was at least 15-20 riders stopped at the eucalyptus grove at the top. Lots of horses too but I have to say that all the horse riders were friendly and let me pass when they saw me.

It does seem that Enchanted is closed. There wasn't a sign at the standard start but there was one at the exit. Of course, since I didn't see the sign until I was finished.....:p You'd think the rangers would know by now that 99% of the people ride the trail clockwise and put the sign at the other end.
Ebo said:
Wagon Wheel is closed. Oh wait. It's been closed for over 10 years. Why would there be trail closures?
"For Public Safety" at least that's what the sign said. I don't know why though, it was in perfect shape, not wet or muddy at all and probably "safer" than when it's bone dry. . The ground was frozen solid at the start of that nastly little climb out though, so maybe the rangers envisioned people slipping on ice or something. The reality was that it made traction better. Anyhow, forget that you read this. Ignorance is bliss and if the sign isn't at the start might as well go for it.

Attachments

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Yes different area....

francois said:
The 10k is on a different trail/park.

Wilder will be fine with no closures. It has had a full week to dry out.

fc
.....but if they were detoured somewheres else due to trail conditions in Wilder, they'd be facing traffic jams on the trails with all your crew out and about in Demo!! :D Hopefully the ride will be longer then it takes to sift thru the thread(s):rolleyes:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
D1PHAM said:
Yup, conditions were EXCELLENT today. Rode Wilder for the first time today and loved it. Saw a bobcat at the end of the final fire road leading back to the car.

:thumbsup:

And yes, enchanted was closed....
I think I rode right past you guys, or else that bobcat was posing for another group of riders ;)

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,641 Posts
all good...

Tone No Balone said:
rode UC Friday afternoon/evening and it was great under the trees on the redwood duff.....
It got a little greasy up near the top up by Empire though.
earlier today hit up woodcutters w/felton flyer & scheckler, the views from the eucalyptus grove were crisp, very clear out to moss landing. old cabin going towards the beach was fast & tacky, then we climbed up long meadow. 2nd what tone said about the top near empire. pretty crowded on the uc side. we decided to ride wilder fireroads. it was fun.

tone u sellin that chameleon frame only (sans parts)?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.