Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cohenfive wanted to ride someplace new not too far from home, and I just wanted to do some pedaling without too much technical stuff. So we went to Wilder Ranch, near Santa Cruz, California. We did a lot of fire road climbing intermixed with several trips down the very dark and gnarly Enchanted and Old Cabin trails, which wind through beautiful Redwood groves. Generally, I'm not a big fan of fire roads but it was a very nice day and we had a pretty good time. I had not been to Wilder in about 2 1/2 years and some of the climbs seemed easier than I remembered, and some of the trails seemed a bit shorter. So hopefully that means I'm getting back into shape a bit.

My technical skills have suffered lately and it was not until my second ride down that gnarly Enchanted Trail filled with big exposed Redwood roots, that I rode nearly everything. Climbing out of Old Cabin twice going south was no problem, but we both had quite a bit of trouble climbing out going north. Otherwise Cohenfive seemed pretty strong and he made every other climb, including the long, steep one out of Enchanted.

I was not thinking and shut off the GPS unit when we returned to the parking lot. However, we added another 1.5 - 2 miles by taking the Bluff Trail out above the ocean. I did not wear the heart monitor on this, my second GPS ride, but I wish I had. Those climbs were long and all the ups and downs really added up, to about 4,000 ft of climbing. For more GPS data here are links to MotionBased and mtbguru. We had no specific plan so if you play the route in the Map Player on MotionBased, you'll see us going all over the place and backtracking several times. Here is the trail map. As usual with my P&S camera, most of the photos taken in the dark forests didn't come out. Perhaps Cohenfive had better luck and he will add a few.

Cohenfive on Enchanted

Cohenfive on Enchanted

Cohenfive climbing Long Meadow

Cohenfive on Old Cabin

Cohenfive about to make a gnarly switchback on the lower Eucalyptus Trail

Cohenfive on Wilder Ridge

Cohenfive on Wilder Ridge

Nice Pond

Heading home

From the Bluff Trail

Cohenfive doing some sightseeing

Cohenfive enjoying a very cool ocean breeze at the end

From the Bluff Trail

Elevation profile

·
avg. joe
657 Posts
Thanks for the post and the pics. I haven't been on the bike much lately, but suffering through the slow time with vicarious thrills of others.

STinGa

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
i really enjoyed the ride today...

i didn't really know what to expect, but wilder was a lot of fun today. we had perfect weather, mid 70's with a light breeze and zero marine layer. i dont' mind the fire road thing, and mixed in was a lot of singletrack including some really fun stuff in the trees. here are some pix of steve, as he said it wasn't so easy to get good images in the woods with the little camera but i've posted the most acceptable ones....as was noted, there was only the one climb that gave me trouble the second go around out of enchanted...i put it in granny and just didn't want to do that middle section!!

here are some pix of steve:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Sweet pics as normal from you both.... Was sitting here in New Zealand waiting and thinking, Wherewolf must have done a ride over this long weekend for you all in the US of A....

Leave NZ for LA tomorrow, 99% I will get up to Tahoe for a few days, want to ride the Flume Trail, the views etc that have seen on posts on here, I need to ride it....

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Very cool...

Damn... I was in Santa Cruz on vacation from Sunday-Wednesday and was kicking myself the whole time that I didn't bring a bike! :mad:

After seeing these pics, that won't happen next time. Thanks for turning the names of trails on a map I picked up to life! I will have to pack up the fam again later this year for a return trip to Santa Cruz...:thumbsup:

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some good ones

You got a few good ones. I really like the one below. The one of me going down the top of Enchanted with a grimace on my face sure doesn't show how steep it was. I believe there are a few small Canons that accept my external flash. I wonder if that would be worth looking into for these types of situations? But carrying it and taking it in and out might be too much of a hassle.

·
tastes like chicken
469 Posts
Awesome pics! I'm glad you enjoyed your ride at Wilder.

I've been riding Wilder for years and I'm still amazed at the quality of single track, fireroads and views at a State Park in which all the trails in the park are open to mountain biking. I loved that your photos captured the essence of the Wilder Ranch mountain biking experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.