Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awwright- I tried this once before, and everything disappeared, dammit. :mad: Good thing it's my day off, so I can spend another hour and a half retyping and reposting pics. :rolleyes:

mmMMmmIMBAmmMmMMMmmIMBAmmmMMmm. Anyhoo. IMBA hosted a camping/riding/drinking spree over the weekend in the Grouse Ridge area (more info here: http://www.bonc.org/trailguide.htm ), featuring two Wild Rides on incredibly scenic High Sierra trails that face closure to bicyclists due to potential Wilderness designation. IMBA reps Jim Haagen-Smit, Dan Greenstadt and John Gardiner were on hand to ride with 25+ riders, sharing their philosophies on what we can do to keep riding these trails with their astounding views.

By hosting the event, IMBA hopes we'll deluge our representatives with mail. Congressional legislation calls for 2.5-million acres of California public land to be reclassified as federal Wilderness. Bicycle use is categorically prohibited in Wilderness areas. While IMBA supports protecting open space from development, some of the proposed areas contain popular trails that cyclists have ridden for years.

I'll shut up and hopefully let the pics show the story of what we could lose. For more info, please see IMBA's site ( http://www.imba.com/news/action_alerts/ca_wilderness/index.html ), and if you agree with their POV, sharpen those quills and get to writing.

fp

Attachments

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
While some may say...

...I'm as old as the hills, these are gonna stick around for another quazillion years. My remains may be pickled in alcohol, but even then, they won't be around that long. Thanks for the birthday cake, Jilm. Best cake ever.

1) Derek, coming up in the world.

2) Just another view. Ho hum.

3) JFR and Jilm, waiting for a sunset.

4) Galen, off a hecka scary drop as John Gardiner gets the shot.

5) Not just an outhouse. A way-out-over-the-edge-house. Some ranger had a good sense of humor.

fp

Attachments

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to mention...

...and how could I forget this? On the way home, as we got closer to Colfax, we could see huge plumes of smoke. Called the Stevens fire (http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/3632963/detail.html), it is now only 50% contained. Yesterday, it was about 100 acres when we saw it, now it's up to 600. :(

fp

Last pic "courtesy" of the Sac Bee.

Attachments

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
That view almost tops the crapper at Helen Lake on Shasta. 10000' looking across the valley at Mt Lassen. Nothing like some scenery to ease the passage...... of time.

Oh, nice pix other wise. Still want to head up there this year somehow.
Thanks

Werner

·
Registered
710 Posts
Great photos Gary. Good riding with everybody there. I thought I had made it home free of mechanicals, seems that I bent my rear brake rotor trying to keep the derailleur out of the rocks.

-derek

·
Medium?
6,728 Posts
That ride sucked!

You guys suck. Grouse Ridge sucks. All y'all and all your geared forkin bikes suck. Dirt sucks.

It was way better riding downtown with my 10yo and a 12yo to find out that the LBS closes at 6, not 7, and getting a generic soda out of the machine in front of the Albertson's for $0.35.

I suck for not punting everything else in my life and making that ride...

You guys suck. Did I say that before? Safety first up there? Bastards!

Hey, at least I get to go to Manchester, NH, and you don't.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You were missed Ed. If you ever want to head up there for a day trip let me know, I'm sure we can talk some of those Central Valley folks to join in too. I'd recommend finding something with gears and a suspension fork on it for those trails though.

I can't believe Gaylin road down that one rock, I was making sure I didn't fall down the hillside going up it! You'd love those trails.

-Derek

·
Registered
681 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
You guys suck. Grouse Ridge sucks. All y'all and all your geared forkin bikes suck. Dirt sucks.

It was way better riding downtown with my 10yo and a 12yo to find out that the LBS closes at 6, not 7, and getting a generic soda out of the machine in front of the Albertson's for $0.35.

I suck for not punting everything else in my life and making that ride...

You guys suck. Did I say that before? Safety first up there? Bastards!

Hey, at least I get to go to Manchester, NH, and you don't.
I couldn't agree more. You guys suck. Now, if you guys told me men with nice biceps were going to be there, I might have made some effort.

The pictures also suck. I can't tell where Derek's chin hair ends and his chest hair begins. Someone needs to post that one in that shaving thread.

Sabine

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dude.

george_da_trog said:
I haven't ridden anything since Downiville. Thanks for rubbing it in. :mad:

I think I can start back on the bike this weekend.

george
Have you tried anal ibuprofen? You should be up & atom in no time.

fp

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.