Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just mentioned that my older Razesa road bike is getting a bit long in the tooth, but I'm not gonna give it up. Love the old school style too much!

However, I can't handle down tube shifter. I've been riding them for years, and although I've gotten significantly better at shifting with them, there have been many times where I think "man, i seriously could've crashed and burned in the wrong situation" when I miss-shift, over shift, or some other problem a index shifter would eliminate.

I'd like to modernize my classic road bike, but keep it looking vintage/retro. Maybe leather wrapped bars, leather seat, but with modern shifting...maybe even an internal hub? Can I even run an internal hub on an older bike?

Picture for the views:

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm curious though, can I even run a Nexus hub or other internal hub on an older frame like this?

I may eventually just go SS (not fixie) for simplicities sake. I've also heard there are indexed downtube shifters that retain the look while allowing you to "click" between gears.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
PaintPeelinPbody said:
I'm curious though, can I even run a Nexus hub or other internal hub on an older frame like this?

I may eventually just go SS (not fixie) for simplicities sake. I've also heard there are indexed downtube shifters that retain the look while allowing you to "click" between gears.
you may get more love over at the sister site (roadbikereview).:D

I'm not sure on the hub spacing of internal hubs, you'd need to check into that & what spacing you currently have. It'd kill the vintage/retro-ness though ;)
I'd go with indexed downtube shifters or barcons/bar-end shifters. (ie I'm with bushpig)

As fugly as they are, the "new" STI shifters are an integrated shifting/braking system. Of course, it's an expensive proposition... A whole new drivetrain-rear hub/wheel, cassette, chain & shifters (perhaps new derailleurs too!). You'd also have to re-space the rear end. Then there's the shimano vs campy.

·
Registered
566 Posts
x3 on bar-end shifters. They're simple, bulletproof, and give you that retro look. I have 'em on one of my bikes and i find it pretty easy to slide my hand down the bar and shift w/ just the side of my hand or pinky and ring fingers...

·
Registered
313 Posts
MTB thumb shifters would work but look silly. Stem shifters are dangerous. (I have personal experience). I agree with the bar end shifters.

Internal hubs are very expensive. My Ron Cooper is a few years older than yours. I wanted to run a Nexus 7 speed with coaster brake so that I could easily switch back and forth from fixed gear to seven speed. It just costs too much ($150 for 7 sp hub and shifter on EBAY). I compromized by by omitting the front derailler and run a wide ratio gear cluster on the back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.