Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a GT karakoram 1.0 2011 (29er) for about 800 usd in my lbs. I live overseas so things are bit more expensive here.

Anyways I am about 184 cm tall (6.03 ft) and the lbs had only a few 2011 karakorams left, so they sold it significally cheaper than the 2012 version. I asked for a Large size frame, and the only one they had was XL.

At the moment I haven't felt much difference or misscomfort, but in general did I make a mistake?

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
It's the top tube or seat to bars measurement you should focus on

·
Registered
558 Posts
You could probably get a shorter stem and adjust seat height to make it work. Honestly if it feels okay and you can have fun with it don't worry about it.

·
B.Ike
1,206 Posts
By the time you realise that yes its too big it will be too late for a return. I always think a little smaller is better than a little bigger. my opinion

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I just bought a GT karakoram 1.0 2011 (29er) for about 800 usd in my lbs. I live overseas so things are bit more expensive here.

Anyways I am about 184 cm tall (6.03 ft) and the lbs had only a few 2011 karakorams left, so they sold it significally cheaper than the 2012 version. I asked for a Large size frame, and the only one they had was XL.

At the moment I haven't felt much difference or misscomfort, but in general did I make a mistake?
I'm your height and I can ride a L or XL. It really depends on the brand of the maker because top tubes vary. I need a 24 inch or close top top, but everyone is different. I also have long arms. If you're happy with the bike then ride it. If you're worried, and you are, then think about it and decide if you want to return it. Just tell the bike shop it's too big. Get your cash back. You just have to make a decision soon. Take it out for a long ride and see what you think.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Yes. No. maybe

is XL too big for my size anyways?
Caffine power and mbogosia have it right. The shop should have/should be able to make sure your fit is good. If it were me, you should have them check 2 key things first:

If you feel a little stretched out, swap out a shorter stem (they should have plenty to work with and start with the length that would have come on a L model, or maybe 5-10mm shorter if there's a bit more steeper descents on your trail routes ), then adjust your seat hieght and fore/aft position. Shouldn't take them 15 minutes with you sitting on the bike.

The other thing to consider would be stand over clearence, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference in a jump spanning one size.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I rode one of those bikes a few weeks ago. My nephew got it for Christmas. Anyway, his was a large and it seemed like medium to me. Seriously... I think those frames run small.

F!

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Me too

For me a little large is better than a little small.
I got a Performance Access 29er frame. The only ones they had left were 24.75" top tubes, and I run 24-24.5" on the rest of my bikes. So, figuring it was only a temporary frame until I save up enough cash for the 'good' frame, I went with it. I had to use a stem that was 10mm shorter than I usually run, but in the end it worked out great.

I've had bikes that were too short for me by the same margins, and I hated them. This, I actually kinda like. :thumbsup:

So, I say a bit big is easier than a bit too small.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I find on 29ers I can go 2-3 sizes smaller than 26'. I used to ride 20'' 26ers and bought a 20'' Haro Mary 29er. They have bigger frames than most and I loved the bike but always felt it was a bit of a tank. Im now riding a 18'' Salsa Mamasita and 17'' Soma Juice. I like to throw a bike around a bit and the smaller frame makes it feel more lively for me. The Haro Mary was great for cruising around though.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
In general, in my opinion - yes

I'd rather go size down, then size up, particularly on 29er.

I made the same mistake, for the same reason a few years back... I ends dup selling the bike and going back to required size... It felt great...

·
Sup
1,696 Posts
I had a large epic 29er and sold it after one year because it was too big
I got a medium stumpy fsr 29er that will replace it
same geo as my other bike that I love to ride
I did find out I hate short stems and long top tubes so not all was lost

Sj

·
Registered
14,056 Posts
Take your bike to the shop and test ride it against a 2012 L. Spend as much time and ride the landscaped areas around the area.

·
Registered
856 Posts
big bikes are good. stable at speed. short stems are good. of course it all depends on what your preference is, but the way i see it, a big bike is good.

·
the half breed devil
Santa Cruz 5010 v.3, rigid single speed karate monkey
4,229 Posts
i didn't like riding a bike that was too small for me. i made the mistake of buying a 16" steel karokoram frame (center of bb to center of tt/s/t) way back in the day when i should have been riding a 17.5"-18.5". the smaller bike descended like hell compared to the 17.5" ibis alibi i built to replace it.

the 29'er i just got is a large (19") which some sizing charts tell i'm just tall enough (5'11) to be comfortable on. i find the combination of big wheels and a slightly larger than usual frame for myself to be very stable.

my $.02

--mb

1 - 20 of 42 Posts