Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
29 inches and Pissed Off!
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 29er wheelset and decided to get the wife a Slingshot off Ebay and use those wheels. So with the help of Brent, I brought it home today. The wife gives me a funny look, shakes her head and sighs, gets on the bike and in 30 seconds she has a big grin on her face. She even let me know that we are riding at Wilder Ranch Sunday.
Slingshot 29er Frame (small)
XT Crankset
Sram X-9 Rear Derailleur
XT Front Derailleur (Sram would not clear the tire)
Sram X-9 Twist Shifters (She has fingernails)
Chris King Headset Gold
Bontrager Race Wheelset
Avid Brakes and Lever
Easton XC Monkey Lite Bar left to install
Dan C.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Gotta love that first grin :)

Shaaaaawing. If that doesn't get you some extra, nothing will.

Not to mention that you just about stole that thing off eBay.......

·
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bigwheel said:
Shaaaaawing. If that doesn't get you some extra, nothing will.

Not to mention that you just about stole that thing off eBay.......
It's nice to see you have come out of hibernation. Question for you. When the Slingshot is in the repair stand, the cable is loose. Not extremely loose, but wiggles about 3/8's of an inch. Should I tighten the bolt at the spring?
Dan C.

·
Registered
18,786 Posts
Captain Kana said:
It's nice to see you have come out of hibernation. Question for you. When the Slingshot is in the repair stand, the cable is loose. Not extremely loose, but wiggles about 3/8's of an inch. Should I tighten the bolt at the spring?
Dan C.
Your pic got me looking at the Slingshot site. I don't see any disc brakes on there. Do you guys know if Slingshot offers disc mounts?

·
This place needs an enema
17,061 Posts
Yes/No

Yes, they do slingsnot's with discs.

No, CK, there's no need to tighten the cable. As soon as it sits on the ground it's preloaded and will be tighter. Add body weight and it gets to where you can play dueling banjo's on it...

Nice ride.

MC

·
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mikesee said:
Yes, they do slingsnot's with discs.

No, CK, there's no need to tighten the cable. As soon as it sits on the ground it's preloaded and will be tighter. Add body weight and it gets to where you can play dueling banjo's on it...

Nice ride.

MC
Thanks MC.
Dan C.

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Captain Kana said:
I had a 29er wheelset and decided to get the wife a Slingshot off Ebay and use those wheels. So with the help of Brent, I brought it home today. The wife gives me a funny look, shakes her head and sighs, gets on the bike and in 30 seconds she has a big grin on her face. She even let me know that we are riding at Wilder Ranch Sunday.
Slingshot 29er Frame (small)
XT Crankset
Sram X-9 Rear Derailleur
XT Front Derailleur (Sram would not clear the tire)
Sram X-9 Twist Shifters (She has fingernails)
Chris King Headset Gold
Bontrager Race Wheelset
Avid Brakes and Lever
Easton XC Monkey Lite Bar left to install
Dan C.
Very Nice - I just picked up a small monkey frame for my wife this week that I am going to build up all cruiserish. I hope my wife likes her monkey as much as your wife likes the slingshot.

Nice build -

LP

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Hey Captain-

That thing looks great. I remember when you grabbed that up on Ebay...you've done very well with it.

Question for ya....how tall is your wife? My GF is 5-2 and we always go back and for on whether or not we could have something built that would fit her.

Thanks,

B

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
donkey said:
Hey Captain-

That thing looks great. I remember when you grabbed that up on Ebay...you've done very well with it.

Question for ya....how tall is your wife? My GF is 5-2 and we always go back and for on whether or not we could have something built that would fit her.

Thanks,

B
Off topic - How did she like the fixie crosscheck?

LP

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
lanpope said:
Off topic - How did she like the fixie crosscheck?

LP
She likes the fit of it and seems really comfortable on it. It's basically setup identical to her ritchey road bike so we know it'll work for her in that regard.

The fixed part is new for her....she's been riding singlespeeds in the dirt for 5 or 6 months and really loves it so we figured fixed on her commuter would be good. I think it'll take her a few rides to get used to it and get more comfortable on it. We ended up flipping the wheel to the freewheel side for a few weeks so she can get used to the bike and singlespeeding on the road....she commutes almost full time and didn't like the idea of having to get used to the fixie before riding it to work! Hopefully within a week or two we can flip it back to fixed.

Thanks for asking.

B

·
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
donkey said:
Hey Captain-

Thanks,

B
Thanks to everyone's compliments.

Donkey, she is 5'4". We will see how she likes the bigger wheels. Toe clearance is fine for her.
Dan C.l

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.