Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have trouble with getting in ride time and wife time? Besides getting her out to ride, any helpful hints on how to manage?

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
vexhex said:
Anyone else have trouble with getting in ride time and wife time? Besides getting her out to ride, any helpful hints on how to manage?
If we could answer that we would be millionaires................

Nah, I hear ya loud and clear. Man I have lost so many girlfriends through them getting ticked off that I ride. I cannot compromise and not ride, I make that clear from the beginning, they usually say yeah, good on you for being up front, you can then start really telling whats going down after 3 months............. Usually they cannot cope................

My present partner is all good, has been for 12 months, mind you we had a smoko break at 5 months.............. But all good at this point...........

Its when they feel like you would rahter spend time with a bike than them, real insecure when its like that.........

Let me know if you find the magic combo though, am keen to know the secret. My dad is 59, he said dont even try and understand, I'm still trying........

Ha ha, females would be saying the exact same thing as we are am sure. Spend 10 mins in the womans lounge, you can feel it............................. Any female that hard core rides rocks in my book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Whafe said:
If we could answer that we would be millionaires................
True true.

Adding kids to the mix doesn't help either- Now only one of us can ride at a time, and you know who that ends up being! :thumbsup:

I only have three real comments of value-
  • you've got to establish your riding schedule up front and be consistent with it. Then it's a "treat" if you end up skipping rides due to weather or injuries. This way there's no surprises, they understand it's part of the package.
  • Make sure to explain that it's more than a sport or hobby, it's part of who you are and you woudl be a miserable *hole if you don't get to ride on a consistent basis. Who wants to date a miserable *hole? I know that this is the case with me, experience has proven it to us both.
  • Lastly, if there's some sort of communication where she understands you appreciate her accomdating your riding passion, and you're willing to give back when it counts (i.e. shopping, family holidays, etc)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
vexhex said:
I start my Saturday ride at 6 or 7am so I can be home by 11ish to spend the rest of the day with wifey and kids. Midweek, I ride at lunch time.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FM said:
  • you've got to establish your riding schedule up front and be consistent with it. Then it's a "treat" if you end up skipping rides due to weather or injuries. This way there's no surprises, they understand it's part of the package.
thanks - that is a good idea - sometimes it is like being asked to choose between the two - i know the bike doesn't have a mouth so i hope the question never comes up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Simply ask her if she'd rather you be riding another woman:nono: .

Seriously in my case, I try to keep my riding reasonable. My main time to ride is Tuesdays, when Mrs. bh357 has other commitments in the evening. I can usually get away for another day during the week, with her going to spend time with her mom when I do.
We also ride together on the paved stuff. Unfortunately she doesn't have any interest in doing any off-road riding, short of a rail-trail.

·
old man riding!
189 Posts
I ride when I can! I commute to work some in the warmer months which means getting up at 1 am and heading out at 2 am to get to work and changed before starting work at 4am.I also get up on saturday or sunday 6 or 7 am to get a ride in before everyone else gets up.I have been married for 9 years and I have two kids which I love to spend time with so I dont want to cut in my time with them. You have to make sacrifices on riding time but if you want to ride you can always find the time somewhere...

·
mmm bacon
196 Posts
i must just be lucky

I pretty much ride anytime I want, all my girl wants is a coffee, kiss in the morning, feed the cat (her's), walk the dog (mine), a idea of where me ride is going and when I might be back...so if I don't show up later they can attempt to find me, I'm home for a late lunch and then off to work, school or a dinner out if neither of us work. Now that I wrote it down I no longer wonder why I get up at 6 am.:D

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
FM said:
I only have three real comments of value
Three dam fine comments if I say so myself.:thumbsup: ................ The magic balance, think the fact it is part of who youa re is huge, that cannot be compromised in my book, if your wife loves you for who you are, i wouldnt think she would want to take that away from you!

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
There could be all sorts of angles to this.

Does she have a chance to get out and do what she likes to do?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I guess I feel lucky that I've never had to deal with this problem. My wife is usually happy to see me riding 2-3 nights per week. To be honest, I think she likes having the house to herself for a few hours. Gives her a chance to do the things she doesn't usually do when I'm home. I can see how kids would change that equation, though.

Besides, considering that riding is what transformed me from her doughy boyfriend into her chiseled stallion of a husband, she's not complaining.:D :rolleyes:

·
In exile
542 Posts
My wife is certainly tired with the baby, but there isn't anyone much more considerate. Riding has not seemed to be an issue. I wouldn't sacrifice my marriage for a bike though. That's just me though.

·
Natural body armor
2,176 Posts
crashtoomuch said:
I start my Saturday ride at 6 or 7am so I can be home by 11ish to spend the rest of the day with wifey and kids. Midweek, I ride at lunch time.
Same schedule as mine: where do you ride?? :D

Sunday morning rides start @ 6AM, so I have 4 hours of good. It's pretty tough in the wintertime, but, hey, that's the only time I've got. It's pretty difficult to find buddies to ride with...
But that leaves more family time for wife and kids. One ride mid week (road) before work and 2 spinning sessions at lunch time (to stay fit :p )

If she really cares for you, she'll understand and help you out. If she doesn't, well, go ride anyway...
In my case I think she can really tell the difference between the w.e. when I ride and the ones when I don't and I'm sure she prefers the first ones.

But I think it's important to establish a clear schedule and stick with it.
If you have kids you'll have to give her back some "comp time" either in the we or during the week. :eekster:

·
Long Distance MTB
283 Posts
I have a solution

vexhex said:
I ride at about 6am to return before 11am so I won't leave my wife too much time alone with them. (Being considerate helps).
But one friend told us how he do it, and it sounds like the perfect solution.
At 5 or 6am you wake here up and ask "hey honey, sex or bike ride?", and wife will answer something like this "be careful and cover yourself, it is cold outside".

·
Registered
203 Posts
whine a lot

My strategy is to display myself as stressed and grumpy if I go for longer than 72 hours without a ride. I just complain until my wife tells me to go for a ride and shake it off.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts