Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
........ we can take the dogs with no people and a creek. Not so easy, when you add with swimming holes, trails and seclution, on 4th of July.

We found one spot left on thursday morning. No neighbors for 3/4 of a mile. We had a noisey creek and falls nearby. My daughter's dog Parker the black lab had never camped off his leash. We had the perfect spot for him to roam around and not get hit by cars or bother other folks.

We set up one tent in the truck and one on the ground. We enjoyed food cooked on the hobo stove. The ice chest was full of potatoe salad, rice pudding, beer and soda. We had a bunch of stuff to eat.

Pics.........

1. Roll a Cot in the creek, beer in my sandal. I was tierd from hiking up and down the creek, exploring. Day one

2. The hobo stove about to heat some Teryaki chicken from the Jail, our fav diner food.

3. My wife and daughter trying to get some relief from a swarm of No -see -ums.

4. One car primitive campsite, still free, not far from home, only 35 miles to be exact.

5. Parker the lab and Coda the springer. Happy dogs.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The wild west

Pics.......

1. War zone, the wild west.

2. Delicious Salmon berries, taste kinda like orange peel. Gloves are getting broke in.

3. Indian Paint brush, told you it was the wild west.

4. Family home evening.

5. Spooky fall below our campsite. Look at the old road bed.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Riding up to a big rock

Pics.........

1. We rode our bikes a few miles up to this neat rock, like cordwood stacked.

2 Flutted stone on it's side, I love the huge Madrones and park like setting.

3. I never seen something like this before.

4. My favorite spot for my morning coffee near camp

5. It's very spooky crossing this log, slipping off to the left would not be good.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sites around our campsite.

Pics........

1. Blowdowns come and go especially in big creeks.

2. Parker looks like a black panther, he his fearless crossing this log near the falls

3. The tent, almost hidden yet so close, Oregon woods.

4. Day three, loaded up and heading home. We spent $70 for gas,food and beer for three.

5. Our first house in 1978 cost as much as our pickup in 2000.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some other pools and falls I found.

Pics..........

1. Nice little water fall into a small pool, this one was on the map.

2. Bonus pool I found riding my bike and checking out side trails from the road.

3. Back in the day, they cabled these boulders together to make fish habitat pools.

4. I have no idea how men drilled these stones and moved them into position.

5. My future primitive bike camping site. I really like this big pool.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A tributary of Fall Creek

drmain said:
Wow, that looks like a great place. Where is it?
We camped four miles up Portland Creek below the last bridge. The rock out cropping is on the way up to gold point, near Elephant Rock. The creek was called Nevergo after it plunges over the falls it becomes Portland Creek.

There are only 5 or 6 primitive car camp spots along Portland creek. There are three water falls and a few nice pools. I rode down to Fall creek one day and took my wet suit. I snorkeled in a couple of big holes in the burn area near bedrock campground.

I have a gift for finding primitive campsites without neighbors. It was really nice for us and our dogs not to have people around. We didn't have to tie them up. I decided to devulge the whereabouts because I can always find another spot. I've also explored that area to my satisfaction. I have other places to explore.

It's an exellent place to find plenty of salmon berries, I've never seen as many as there were along the road following Portland Creek.

·
Registered
28 Posts
lef-t said:
We camped four miles up Portland Creek below the last bridge. The rock out cropping is on the way up to gold point, near Elephant Rock. The creek was called Nevergo after it plunges over the falls it becomes Portland Creek.

There are only 5 or 6 primitive car camp spots along Portland creek. There are three water falls and a few nice pools. I rode down to Fall creek one day and took my wet suit. I snorkeled in a couple of big holes in the burn area near bedrock campground.

I have a gift for finding primitive campsites without neighbors. It was really nice for us and our dogs not to have people around. We didn't have to tie them up. I decided to devulge the whereabouts because I can always find another spot. I've also explored that area to my satisfaction. I have other places to explore.

It's an exellent place to find plenty of salmon berries, I've never seen as many as there were along the road following Portland Creek.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I'll keep it quiet on my end!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go forth and find the falls young man

drmain said:
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I'll keep it quiet on my end!
you can't see much from the road, but if you ride along on your bike and check out every pullout and side trail you will be rewarded with little effort.

Last saturday I went back to the cable rock pool with wet suit and expored the underwater world below. I found a long steel star drill in the bottom at 8 feet. Kind of interesting.

I would like to know the history of Portland creeks fish structures, the boulders cabled together and lots of log dams to make fishy pools.

Gold point trail opens aug 1. It's up the Portland creek rd past Elephant rock. Check it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.