Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
mtbr super member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a quandary and I'll try to provide enough info without posting a novel.

I have a Large 2010 Giant Reign 2 that I feel has been a good bike but there are a few things I don't like about it (Avid 3 brakes, uncomfortable when climbing, and I feel like I easily blow through the rear suspension and it limits my riding). All these things can be fixed with upgrades and I was planning on trying to do so. That is, until my wife told me that a guy she knows was riding, crashed, and punctured his stomach somehow with the bars!!!

Come to find out, the guy was on an older model Reign and she has now encouraged me to get a different bike that I feel more comfortable on. So now I am looking for a bike that is an aggressive AM, or possibly even a freeride bike, that will climb "adequately" but descend and drop like a mad man! (I know, who doesn't want this in a bike, right?)

Quick riding info: I do peddle up-hill a lot, but only to come back down! I do frequent small drops on my trails with a max drop of about 5 feet (I don't do this drop on my Reign anymore for fear of breaking it). I come from a motocross racing back ground and I enjoy hauling ass through some singletrack and hitting some decent sized drops, jumps, and gaps. However, I also don't mind climbing for the exercise.

Anyway, I've narrowed my options down to these:

1) Buy/Build a Santa Cruz Nomad.

2) Buy/Build a Giant Reign X.

3) Buy/Build a Canfield The One.

I haven't ridden a Canfield before but I've heard only good things about them. I only assume that these options won't limit my riding based on using at least 150 mm fork and a coil rear shock. Any suggestions or opinions are welcome to help me make my choice easier and thank you in advance!

·
Registered
575 Posts
(I don't do this drop on my Reign anymore for fear of breaking it)
That sounds more conducive to preventing handlebar impalement than a new bike that gives you the confidence you need to launch off more ****. But hey if the wife thinks a new bike will be safer I'd have to agree with her as well. :thumbsup:

·
mtbr super member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds more conducive to preventing handlebar impalement than a new bike that gives you the confidence you need to launch off more ****. But hey if the wife thinks a new bike will be safer I'd have to agree with her as well. :thumbsup:
lol true, but I'll do that drop whether I have a new bike or not. I won't do it with my current Reign set-up, I'd have to do some upgrades. I should also mention that the drop has a good landing so it's not like I'm dropping to flat. :)

I'll risk the injury for the thrill, I've broken bones and crashed before and it hasn't stopped me yet. My main concern is getting a bike that fits my riding style. Unfortunately, the Reign is not set up for what I ride and now I have the opportunity to get the right bike, whichever it may be.

That's where I need some advice and opinions to discover the pros and cons of the bikes I am interested in based on my riding style.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm in a quandary and I'll try to provide enough info without posting a novel.

I hate to throw another bike in mix, but have you thought about the Banshee Rune? I'm able to pedal uphill as fast if not faster than buddies on their 4-5 inch travel bike, and when it comes time to go down this bike inspires so much confidence it's unreal, it just rips!

·
Registered
841 Posts
This reminds me of the time my husband and a friend were riding. The friend did a face plant in a rock garden and did major damage (broken nose, lots of blood, lots of stitches, and plastic surgery to reconstruct). In the ER, my husband told his wife that he wouldn't have gone over the bars if he had a 29'er.

Have fun shopping! Check out Ibis as well.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
take your wife out to a nice dinner first then go shop for your toy. it'll be worth a few upgrades on your soon to be new ride!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Good Friend....

This reminds me of the time my husband and a friend were riding. The friend did a face plant in a rock garden and did major damage (broken nose, lots of blood, lots of stitches, and plastic surgery to reconstruct). In the ER, my husband told his wife that he wouldn't have gone over the bars if he had a 29'er.

Have fun shopping! Check out Ibis as well.
We should all friends that are wise and look out for us.....

·
Registered
301 Posts
I doubt the Reign is going to brake given what you're riding. I'd doubt even more a Reign X would, although I wouldn't expect the difference in the ride between the two of them to be life changing.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have a Canfield One, get it its a very good bike

·
mtbr super member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hate to throw another bike in mix, but have you thought about the Banshee Rune?
I just researched this bike and I haven't really looked into it before. It seems like a solid rig and a reliable one at that. Unfortunately there aren't any dealers in my state (Utah) so I won't be able to test one as easily. The Rune has also replaced the Reign X on my list.

As of now it's out of the Nomad, Rune, and One. Thanks for bringing the Rune to my attention. :thumbsup:

·
mtbr super member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My wife won't let me get a new bike so clearly she hates me and wants me to die.
:skep:
Hey brother.... (Buster is the bomb!)

I'm sure some wives love their spouses so much that they don't want to see them get hurt. On the other hand, some wives love their husbands so much that they want their husbands to be happy and enjoy their hobbies. Mine just happens to be the later. She's the best wife I could have ever hoped for! :thumbsup:

·
mtbr super member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
take your wife out to a nice dinner first then go shop for your toy. it'll be worth a few upgrades on your soon to be new ride!
Absolutely! I might even take her to the mall after dinner and let her have a little shopping spree of her own! She deserves it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I thought I would look into this bike real quick as a future mini dh, and found this impressive video.
Canfield Brothers "one" suspension. - YouTube

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If you want your ride to descend like an avalanche and then be able to turn it around and let it climb like a billy goat, get the Canfield's One.

But beware, it may cause a little jealousy and even create rift in your relationship because it does have those sweet smooth lines, the nice slack seductive angle's. And when your just about to fall asleep for the night you'll hear it call "come and ride me, you know you want too".

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey brother.... (Buster is the bomb!)

I'm sure some wives love their spouses so much that they don't want to see them get hurt. On the other hand, some wives love their husbands so much that they want their husbands to be happy and enjoy their hobbies. Mine just happens to be the later. She's the best wife I could have ever hoped for! :thumbsup:
I loved the looks of the One when the newer version first came out untiil I saw how low the bottom bracket is in 160mm mode. My Banshee Spitfire has a low bb but not as low as the One in 160mm mode. But at the price of a Canfield One frame it opens up a lot of options on nice bikes. Mojo HD. Tuner 5spot. Yeti SB66 although its new. At the Canfield One frame price point your options are limited only by your imagination and prefernce. Tons of great bikes out there

1 - 20 of 33 Posts