Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Non biking wife and daughter desires beach vacation of one week.Son and I want to hit the dirt.Where can we all be happy?We live close to Amarillo Tx and can fly or drive.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,157 Posts
What's her definition of beach? Ocean or lake?
If a big lake works.... Lake Tahoe. Some good beaches and some great riding.

·
Registered
489 Posts
That's easy, sort of.

Southern California like the San Diego area. But the ocean water temps are a little cold. You could also try the west coast of Florida, say around the Tampa area. The water and beaches are nice. There is good riding within short driving distance such as Santos and Alafia/Boyette. No mountians to speak of but very fun riding.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Amarillo is the armpit of hell. I know because I was born there. Go in any direction for 7 hours at a rate of speed of greater than 55 miles per hour and you will be in a better place.

Having said that.....

Why not take seperate vacations? Send the wife to the Gulf coast.
Palo Duro? Either it has some AMAZING trails or none. But that is close to home and would save some $$.

Or... California? Plenty of options there for both of you. Stay someplace central and you can strike out during the day to find your adventure.

Best of luck!

·
PITY THE FOOL!
288 Posts
I'd definitely consider San Diego. Lot's of riding options 30-40 minutes from the beach areas and some excellent riding 45-60 minutes away. Theres also the Zoo, Sea World, Wild Animal Park,etc.

Water temp is 59 right now so keep that in mind when your planning. Also beware of June gloom at the beach. The marine layer comes in it keeps the sun away for days on end at times. Very hit or miss and hard to predict. As soon as you drive 5 miles from the ocean your out of it and into the sunshine so it won't bother you on the trails.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
zenorb said:
Or... California? Plenty of options there for both of you. Stay someplace central and you can strike out during the day to find your adventure.
Yep, you can stay in Stocktontucky. We are an hour from everywhere.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Oh yeah, June gloom

I forgot about June gloom and it is real. I visited friends in Del Mar last June and the gloom was in full effect. Had an awesome time anyhow.

·
Yoooleeeaaaaahna Victoria
792 Posts
North Carolina, USA

<BLOCKQUOTE>Greetings,

In my opinion, you must consider North Carolina. Whilst residing in the USA, I had on occasions to make journeys to Wilmington for the beach as well as Pisgah and Tsali for the trails.

I must say, these places are at opposite directions of the state but nonetheless may be convenient if you were to make a flight into Charlotte and each rent cars.

Ask if you need details.

Julianna</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Shreddin the Cul de Sac
482 Posts
New England

Come to Cape Cod my friend...

Stay on Nantucket Sound (Yarmouth, Hyannis, Dennis) where the water is relatively warm and the beaches are nice. Ride the Trail of Tears in Otis.

http://www.nemba.org/ridingzone/grcapecod.html

speedyd said:
Non biking wife and daughter desires beach vacation of one week.Son and I want to hit the dirt.Where can we all be happy?We live close to Amarillo Tx and can fly or drive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Come to Chicago. Sandy white beaches, crystal clear water, unbelievable mountains and endless riding options. Opps, I fell into a dream state there for a minute. But..you could consider Costa Rica. It will be off season soon so things will be cheaper and you have the Pacific on one side, the Carribean on the other with mountains in-between. It is really nice. Have fun wherever you go.

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
NC would be great, but...

In my opinion, you must consider North Carolina. Whilst residing in the USA, I had on occasions to make journeys to Wilmington for the beach as well as Pisgah and Tsali for the trails.

I must say, these places are at opposite directions of the state but nonetheless may be convenient if you were to make a flight into Charlotte and each rent cars

pisgah and wilmington would both be great destinations...only they are at least 5-6 hours driving time apart, and that's hauling!

I second separate vacations, that's what we do once a year, my wife does the beach at NC, and i hit somewhere rideable...moab, fruita, so-cal, this year its az...everyone is happy too!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Diving Good!

Trail Punk said:
Then you'll love it when she wants a beach vacation.
That's a good suggestion, though it might be too late for this year's trip. My wife got into diving when she was in Cozumel a few years back. For our anniversary that year, she signed us up for diving lessons. Not only is diving great, but the lessons became our date night. We'd get a babysitter, go to dinner and study for the quizzes, then go for a drink after the sessions. (And we did our certification dives in mid-Novemeber off the Oregon coast!)

A few years ago I wouldn't have cared if Florida was nuked off the face of the earth -- except, of course, that my mother-in-law and sis-in-law live there. (spare the in-law jokes; they're great people). Now, when we go visit them, we get a dive trip in.

Have fun, wherever you wind up.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hawaii?

How about Hawaii? 80 degrees year round. Ocean & beaches all over. Interesting jungle type singletrack.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Tobago looks amazing. Go. Right now. Then come back and tell me about it.

·
Crash Test Dummy
56 Posts
I have to second the vote for the Tampa/ St Pete Florida area. Great beaches, Disney's only a couple hours away, and there are some really good trails in the area. Most are 6-10 miles long (some, like Croom, can be much longer) and are cut out of old phosphate mines or limestone quarries. Within easy driving range are: Morris Bridge, Carter Rd Park, TOE, Alafia State Park, Croom, Santos and Razorback.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Santa Barbara, CA

Hotels on the beach, 20 minutes from coast to trails if you are slow. Amazing singletrack and burly downhill, lots of backcountry trails, jumps, urban, more singletrack, lots of college hotties for your son to look at.

The Ito

·
Old Enough to Know Better
158 Posts
Santa Barbara, CA

If you care to fly out to the left coast, Central California is an excellent combo - Gramma and I do it all the time. North of Santa Barbara are miles of gorgeous coastline and beaches for her and the kids, excellent motels and/or camping, miles of superb roadie cycling roads, and more miles of excellent singletrack.

PM me if you want more specific details.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts