Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fam,

So wife is proud of my ongoing dad/provider efforts and has approved budget to buy a new bike.

Current Ride: 2003 Specialized P.1 - Large; 26" wheelset, Single Speed Truvativ Drive line
Riding: Mostly SoCal trails, significant up hills all for the thrill of short little less than technical bumpy down hills
Riding style: off the bike legs pumping hard up hill, seated on my big ass going down hill trying to find the smartest route down.
Budget: $2,000 - Stretch budget: $3000 (via finance option)

Dilemna: Since my current bike that i will be keeping is a hardtail, single speed (good for leg training) and perfectly flickable for dirt jumping, I was thinking of getting a full squish with 1x12 with slack geometry that is enduro by nature but balanced for trail. That said, here's the bikes im considering

Important factors:
I really need a gearset (tired of getting left behind by friends up monster hills)
slack frame geometry 63-65 degree
I like a long reach
I want to feel saddled into the bike
Ive ridden a few 29ers and didn't love them including the 29" big rippers ive owned. i couldnt imagine getting gnarly on them. I think i want 27.5

2021 Giant Trance X 29 3 - $2500 - Kinda less than jazzed about the fork and shock, love the geometry, meh on 29" wheels, love to support local shop
2021 Polygon Siskiu T8 - $2399 - like the longer reach, decent Componentry including fork and shocks looks good except for tektro brakes, direct to customer buying fear....bike will get spit on at the local shop:)
2021 Polygon Siskiu N7 - $2599 - enduro geometry, Decent componentry including fork and shock, available now, direct to customer buying fear
2021 Marin alpine trail 7 - $2899 - way more aggro of bike than i need, sweet geometry, decent fork and and shock, nothing screaming upgrade, available Now, able to support local shop
2021 Marin Rift Zone 29 2 - $2189 - Recon silver RL fork....booo, other shimano componentry seems decent. closer to "budget"
Hardtail Out of left field....2021 Ragley MMMbop - $1699 - Good shimano componentry and decent fork, rad geometry, 27.5 wheelset, only concern is that besides gears will it be radically different than my specialized.

Opinions greatly appreciated

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dude - congratulation! Sounds like you don’t need any help at all!
for that budget (the finance version), I would look for a 2019 version at a decent discoun. Also I don’t know if the bikes you mentioned are carbon but that’s a plus. Don’t go for anything without a dropper post. Lastly a bike that is close to what you want but is in stock is a plus

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dude - congratulation! Sounds like you don’t need any help at all!
for that budget (the finance version), I would look for a 2019 version at a decent discoun. Also I don’t know if the bikes you mentioned are carbon but that’s a plus. Don’t go for anything without a dropper post. Lastly a bike that is close to what you want but is in stock is a plus
Yeah, with it being 2021, 2019’s are gone plus geometry changes on these bikes had been significant over the last couple years. All bikes listed have a dropper and while most are decent I read the giant one is pretty solid for factory.
I feel like everything carbon is pushing me out of my price range. even in the plus 2k
Range id like to not go higher than 2500 since tax is going to push me to 3k anyway

·
Trail Ninja
6,139 Posts
Add Spec Status to that list. Might not be the best at climbing, but it seems to fit your style.

IMO, just buy the Alpine Trail. The Siskiu T8, Rift Zone 29, and Trance X caught my attention, but I wouldn't really be optimistic about their kit for DJ stuff.

·
Banned
121 Posts
If you need your wife’s approval to buy a mountain bike, you aren’t living well son! You would be much better off divorcing her and getting a hot Asian girlfriend. Happiness returned...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Did the thread title make anybody else throw up in their mouth a little bit? I’m divorced 9 years now and every single aspect of my life is improved tenfold. My money certainly but more importantly the kind of person and kind of dad I am.

My old bike was a 2003 specialized rockhopper and my current bikes are a 2021 Trance X 29 and Ragley Big Al 29. At 53 I appreciate the ability to roll up anything, especially when I throw in a bunny hop or manual. The Trance has original shocks front and back, no problem at all going down the chunkiest downhills.

Personally I’d never finance a depreciating asset, especially an optional one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, with it being 2021, 2019’s are gone plus geometry changes on these bikes had been significant over the last couple years. All bikes listed have a dropper and while most are decent I read the giant one is pretty solid for factory.
I feel like everything carbon is pushing me out of my price range. even in the plus 2k
Range id like to not go higher than 2500 since tax is going to push me to 3k anyway
FWIW - I just bought a 2019 Scott e-ride last week. Found it in a local shop. I emailed every shop around, was looking for the 2020 or 21 but of course no one had one. Worth the effort though as I got it for $1,500 off list.

Good luck - and enjoy the shopping.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Did the thread title make anybody else throw up in their mouth a little bit? I’m divorced 9 years now and every single aspect of my life is improved tenfold. My money certainly but more importantly the kind of person and kind of dad I am.

My old bike was a 2003 specialized rockhopper and my current bikes are a 2021 Trance X 29 and Ragley Big Al 29. At 53 I appreciate the ability to roll up anything, especially when I throw in a bunny hop or manual. The Trance has original shocks front and back, no problem at all going down the chunkiest downhills.

Personally I’d never finance a depreciating asset, especially an optional one.
strong heckle. Do both of those bikes fit in your middle age crisis red mustang convertible? I tried to open my first post on the site with a little more than just a versus thread.

Should’ve done the research....nobody gets married for the money. Whatever though glad the sliver lining of your split family is that you get more toys

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FWIW - I just bought a 2019 Scott e-ride last week. Found it in a local shop. I emailed every shop around, was looking for the 2020 or 21 but of course no one had one. Worth the effort though as I got it for $1,500 off list.

Good luck - and enjoy the shopping.
Thanks, I made some calls last week on this same mission, my net result was mostly ebikes, 5k plus carbons, and sizes that I couldn’t work with (lots of smalls) I may continue this route snd expand my distance circle. Talked to a few cool bike shop owners in the process which supports my thinking that I want to support a local retailer.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Good times afoot! Go to The Path or other shop that has various demos. Path Live Oak has dirt right out the shop. You have to love this bike, experiencing a few beforehand is the only way to nail it. Any decent shop will put a day rental fee toward a bike purchase.

·
Registered
218 Posts
strong heckle. Do both of those bikes fit in your middle age crisis red mustang convertible? I tried to open my first post on the site with a little more than just a versus thread.

Should’ve done the research....nobody gets married for the money. Whatever though glad the sliver lining of your split family is that you get more toys
What can I say, Beta guys are a pet peeve of mine possibly because I was a beta once. I fully bought into the happy wife happy life thing, not being accountable to others is the real source of happiness. But hey man, keep asking your wife if you can finance a mountain bike. Keep her happy and she might say yes!

She’s the one who split the family and is estranged from her adult kids incidentally.

Why didn’t you take shots at Hardrake who said you weren’t living well if you had to ask your wife for permission to buy a bike (he’s right)? At least I shared experience about a bike on your list.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'd vote for the Alpine Trail. I have a buddy who has one and it is a solid bike. I've never thought favorably of Marin in the past but lately I think their stuff is pretty damn good and it has definitely turned my perception of them around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What can I say, Beta guys are a pet peeve of mine possibly because I was a beta once. I fully bought into the happy wife happy life thing, not being accountable to others is the real source of happiness. But hey man, keep asking your wife if you can finance a mountain bike. Keep her happy and she might say yes!

She’s the one who split the family and is estranged from her adult kids incidentally.

Why didn’t you take shots at Hardrake who said you weren’t living well if you had to ask your wife for permission to buy a bike (he’s right)? At least I shared experience about a bike on your list.

Hardrake came in joking, you came in projecting on some bullshit about whatever extent you feel your lifestyle scenario is optimal to being married.

regardless of what you think, being forged through your experience into a middle aged divorcee with maverick spend habits doesn’t make you any shred of alpha

you're right, you did give bike feedback. Should have started there and left it there.

also another thing to google in your free alpha time , the richest people on the planet all leverage interest free credit to their advantage.​

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd vote for the Alpine Trail. I have a buddy who has one and it is a solid bike. I've never thought favorably of Marin in the past but lately I think their stuff is pretty damn good and it has definitely turned my perception of them around.
Can you find out what size alpine trail your buddy grabbed and estimate his height and weight? I’m a large In most bikes snd it may be the 78sts/65hta resulting in a 460ish reach that has me concerned. 480 seems to be the general mark across all the other bikes

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good times afoot! Go to The Path or other shop that has various demos. Path Live Oak has dirt right out the shop. You have to love this bike, experiencing a few beforehand is the only way to nail it. Any decent shop will put a day rental fee toward a bike purchase.
Plus one on the Path There are several driving distance apart in So Cal and it really does help to ride your options first.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think you did great research and it'll come down to your choice and just actually pulling the trigger. Just to note, the Maestro suspension platform on the Giant is like a budget DW-link. The Quad suspension 4 bar on the Marin is like a budget VPP. I prefer the Maestro platform between the two. Good luck with whatever you choose and only time on the bike will tell if you made a good investment or not!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts