Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s a Shimano Devore XT 10-speed on her Haibike Fat6. I had the rear derailleur dismounted and dangling by the cable to remove the rear tire. I wrestle with it every time. I’m obviously missing something. Downloaded the manual that say to move a lever on the derailleur to the off position. Check. But I cannot see that that does anything.

Anyway, I got the rear wheel off and got the tire fixed and was having difficulty getting the rear wheel back on. Finally got it, but when we were riding today, it appears the the guide and tensioning gears are no longer lining up vertically. It’s like they are kicked outward away from the wheel. The bike rides and shifts but the chain and gears are making a clicking sound. Occasionally it soundfine. Lower gears work better that higher ones.
It was working beautifully before I took it off to work on the wheel. What could I have done?

—bb

· Registered
3,796 Posts
It's possible that you bent either the derailleur or the hanger . You shouldn't need to remove the derailleur to remove the wheel. There little things you can do to make it easier to reinstall the wheel, pay attention to where the chain is on the cassette or even better move the chain to the smallest gear. On the old thru axles it helped to move the derailleur to take the spring pressure off pulling the chain ,that made it easier to line up the axle with the drop out mount. Look at the Park Tool web site for how to align the hanger.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Learning as I go, but I'm not making any progress on this particular problem. I have been trying to ever so gently bend the hanger back into place. It's better, but still not right. Since we are going on a pretty long tour next week, I broke down and decided to take it to a shop in the morning. Probably will buy a spare hanger, too.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

· Registered
1,804 Posts
Learning as I go, but I'm not making any progress on this particular problem. I have been trying to ever so gently bend the hanger back into place. It's better, but still not right. Since we are going on a pretty long tour next week, I broke down and decided to take it to a shop in the morning. Probably will buy a spare hanger, too.

Thanks for the help.

Bill
Yup, best to take to shop if youve git a big trip. Theyve got a tool specifically for that to get it perfectly straight. Eyeball with crescent wrench gets it good enough to ride, usually. Too add to the confusion, 12 spd shimano the pulleys and cage no longer line up! So if u ever go to that, be aware!
See if the shop will show u how to remove and install the rear wheel in case u get a flat or something and need to do it afain.
Oh , also check that cable didnt get kinked or housing isnt seated fully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.