Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Keep looking

Votes: 3 75.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have some Alex SX44 wheels with formula hubs that came on my Marin.
20mm Inner width 27mm Outer.
They weigh about 2000g front and rear. Main reason I am looking for something else is to go tubeless(the Alex are not easy to set up tubeless)

Recently, I picked up some Black Flag Experts.
18mm Inner width 24mm Outer
Weigh about 1850g as far as I can tell. They have the stans rim profile so it will be easy to setup tubeless.

I also found some DT Swiss X1600 which are the same Width, but are about 1600-1650g and also have a good tubeless profile.

I ride everything with this bike. XC trails, to shuttled intermediate downhill.
The tires I run are 2.25

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Keep looking. Those are all XC weenie wheelsets which will not stand up to DH runs unless you're smooth and weigh less than 150 lbs. If you're going to shuttle DH runs you will need something much stronger, the Spank Industries Spike Race28 EVO Wheelset would be a good place to start. I've built up their Oozy and Subrosa rims and found them to be really strong & solid, I'd expect the Spike 28 to be the same way. You might be able to get away with the Oozy if you're smooth and don't crash but I'd recommend sticking to the Spike Race or Subrosa. WTB Frequency i23 is also a good choice.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I am a similar weight (205 and dropping), ride cross country and trail, and don't do drops over about 24 inches or big jumps. I plan to go with Stans Flows for the wheelset on my next bike, which will most likely be a 100 mm travel 29er. A lot of what I ride is very rocky and chunky. I don't race, so trading off a little lightness for a strong, stiff, wideish durable rim is a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I dont shuttle or do DH but I have done plenty of rough Rocky downhill singletrack backcountry riding IMO for that type of terrain.

Tubeless> Width > weight

Out of your options and situation since you have the Black Flags try them if you feel they are limiting your volume than look elsewhere but at least give them a shot. If I had to look elsewhere for what you are doing I would look at Stans Flows probably with Hope Hubs. Another Option might be keep the flags and go with More Agressive tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts