Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming into posession of a KHS tandem and wanted to know if there were any CA Motor Vehicle Code limitations on hauling it home on my hitch-mount rack. Eventually I will purchase a roof rack, but for now I need to either put it inside my vehicle or out on the hitch-mount.

I saw a vague reference on a webpage that stated the left side of the load could not stick out beyond the "fenders" of the vehicle and the right side could not stick out farther than 6". Anyone know if this is true?

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Itchy was close, Mountain Smith nailed it:

The limit on the vehicle is indeed 102 inches, but the specifics on width of any load is a measurement relative to the width of the vehicle, regardless of the vehicle width:

35111. No passenger vehicle shall be operated on any highway with any load extending beyond the line of the fenders on its left side or more than six inches beyond the line of the fenders on its right side.

My vehicle is 75 inches wide. The tandem is who knows how long, estimated from KHS website geometry page to be around 100 inches total length. Way over the 6 inches leeway I am supposed to work with according to the never-to-be-sufficiently-damned State of California.

I have to drive on some freeways after I pick up the bike, and with the ticket-everything-to-make-money attitude the State and CHP have I would be a sitting duck for a chicken-sh*t ticket, which would probably amount to what I would have to spend for a roof-rack anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
just take the front and rear wheels off during transport. that should reduce the load "width" quite a bit. that's what I have been doing and it tucks in pretty well.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Redlinerex said:
just take the front and rear wheels off during transport. that should reduce the load "width" quite a bit. that's what I have been doing and it tucks in pretty well.
Jeezus, no kidding.

And don't listen to the clown. Damn newbies and their apostrophes.

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finch, sometimes the obvious escapes all of us, but thanks for pointing it out.

As far as how far I am driving it, I will be moving it from south Sacramento/Elk Grove to Roseville, tonight in the very large rainstorm we are experiencing. Not a good idea to ride it all the way. If it was summertime I might consider it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts