Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, anyone tried one of these. Good or bad. Thinking of trying a 1 x 9 setup. Dont really seem to ever use the big ring and rarely the small so thought I might give it a go.

cheers

·
Albany West Oz
290 Posts
Saw pics in the mag, looks a little odd having the large crank arms just sitting out there. As it seems to be a single piece a new Widget is needed to change ring size, where as a chain guide is adjustable. Never used one though, just thought I'd reply with my 2c.

Aussie product, so guy buy one anyway...

·
Albany West Oz
290 Posts
My take on the wdgit

After looking around for a ISIS drive crankset that will run one 29 tooth chain ring I finally decided that the 28 tooth widgit might be the solution to my problem, so I bought one.

Well as I said earlier I don't really like the look of it on the crank and my old ISIS drive cranks were in the junk box so nothing to lose, out with the grinder and bench sander and this is the rough product.. nice if I knew how to recoat the cranks to get them black again.

Attachments

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Looks great Freediver!
Why don't you just take all the black off the crank and hand polish it?
It'll go better with the chainring.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love my Widgit. Had 2 rides so far, 1st at woodend, the other at lysterfield. Have not missed the other rings as yet. Got the 30 tooth ring. Felt the all black was better than going for a colour. Lost around 400grams as well.

May miss that granny gear though if i do this ride with hud on Saturday though.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Albany West Oz
290 Posts
The black on black looks good. The widgit was the first thing to arrive for my new bike.

My new frame is, hopefully, same shade of orange. I've got rims, hubs a frame coming from the states and a big box of goodies coming from chain reaction and tyres, wheel build and bits and pieces from lbs.

My take on the skinny wheeled single speed fixie fad is in the works...watch this space:thumbsup:

·
nothing to see here
3,279 Posts
I was concerned that there may be issues (of chain noise/rub) when using the taller gear on the rear cluster with these. Is that not so?

·
Albany West Oz
290 Posts
Okay, I'll fess up and say that I have not used it yet, I was going to run it but ended up using a middleburn trials set up, just a bash guard. Had no probs with it flicking off and I have tried, short cage derailleur helps.
Anyhoo, the wigit is basically a double sided chain guide, should see no probs with losing the chain, will try it out when I get back from the beach in a few weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
October26 said:
Haha, I think I would rather hard plastic holding the chain than imagination.
Must work ok for some though.
I don't have the Widgit but run a Raceface bashguard and a Blackspire Blackguard. Same idea.

Works pretty well. Never dropped a chain since, but the distance between the inner disk and the chainring is enough to allow the chain to fall there but still be off the teeth...probably not a problem with the Widgit.

One thing though - the inner disk is noticeably worn where the chain links rub on it when the chain slaps around. It also makes lots of "ding ding" sounds like an old tram bell. The teeth on the chainring are worn shorter there too (bottom side with chocolate foot forward) - but that happens with a normal 3x9 setup anyway.

If I had ISCG mounts I'd add rollers.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Riden Lysty heaps, woodend, silvan, my Evelyn, officer, buxton and not one issue with the widgit. Shortened the chain by 4 links as recomended. No noticeable rubbing while riding and never had the chain come off. I'm riding faster, climbing better and just enjoying riding more. All this since the widgit. Haven't found a need for granny gear either . Cheers

·
Albany West Oz
290 Posts
Review

I originally bought the Widgit for my Fatback so it is Widgit's smallest offering at 28 teeth, but I ended up with a 24 tooth trials crank on the fatbike so I thought I'd give it a go on my Rush, basically my enduro race bike.

Before fitting I ran the numbers through an online gear calculator, see pic.

I was losing the bottom two gears and the top four, using an 11-32. The numbers turned out to be almost spot on, on the flat at a high cadence 11 I hover around 29kph.

Pros:
Simple, only 9 gears to think about.
No chain suck ever.
Two pushes on the shifter takes me from a usable 11 to 32.
Using all of my cassette, I used to use the middle ratios more, so longer life.
Less to go wrong, winter mud fest is upon us, one less cable shifter and derailleur.
Less granny ratios means less lazy options, I ride up hills in 28/32 combo that I used to ride in 22/32 because it was an option. Nietzsche would love that.
Dead easy to fit, no significant chain rub on guides.
Haven't managed to drop the chain, still using long cage.

Cons:
Run out of gears on long downhills.
Run out of gears in a sprint finish.
Rub out of gears on really nasty climbs
Check out this post-http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6557055#poststop

Interesting:
Wight loss - I won't list it as a pro because I doubt it makes much difference.
Same average speed over a varied 40k…read on.

The thing that interests me having ridden this a bit is that I seem to be maintaining the same average speed on training rides as I did with the triple chain ring set up. I really thought I would be slower due to loss of top end speed, so how come? I think I am putting in more on the climbs and less on the descents, something that I could do with a triple but when the gears are there I want to use them, ie lazy climber but refuse to walk.

Overall the gearing feels a bit easy, but on two hour training rides that's okay. My favoured events are much longer, and as a single speed rider told me, if it feels right at the start of the race you ain't going to make it to the end.

Would I recommend one? If you are serious about racing to win, then no. I passed a few guys at the end of an event in a downhill sprint on the Cape to Cape, wouldn't have happened without a 44.

I race to finish in a personal best time, and have a good time, so I think I will leave it on for a while, might even get better at climbing.

This shows kph at a cadence of 90.

Attachments

·
wuss
2,380 Posts
I've had a Widgit for this summer, along with a few friends. Posting my report here since it's the only Widgit specific thread I could find on the forum :)

My bike is an Intense Uzzi built up fairly light. I've mainly been riding local trails this summer where the 28t widgit gives a very good ratio. Have not missed my granny at all. I originally had xtr cranks, but for some reason (the spacers?) I was always getting a lot of creaking with the Widgit. I later changed to XT cranks and it has been silent.

- It does rub on the sides of the bash on some gear combo's, not really bothering me though.
- Never had problems with the chain popping out
- Me and most of my friends have totally trashed the bash part. The smart ones modded it to include a real bash before doing big damage. The bash is not really a bash as such, it's adequate for keeping the chain in place but not for taking any hits. I suspect even the weakest lightest real bash rings are from another planet.
- It's quite expensive IMO for what it is

If it had a proper bash I'd consider getting a new one. Maybe the manufacturer could release an "Enduro" version? Now I just hope it holds together until I get a rear cassette that goes to 36t. I really like the concept, and think it's a very good idea for lighter bikes where you don't actually use the bash for taking hits. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.