Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had issues getting a Widgit to work on a 29er?

There is no mention of application specifics on the Widgit site but after recently running into (customer relation) problems after buying one have heard of the Widgit not working on some 29er specific applications
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
hmm...I am not sure why it wouldnt work. You dont buy chainrings and cranksets based on wheel size. I guess all you can do is call widgit and ask.

Not sure if this pertains to you, but I run 1x9 on my Ells and am using 32T inner and outer bashguards from BBG and still using the 32T XT chainring. I have yet to drop a chain.

I rode the Brown County Breakdown last year and there were some ROUGH trails out there. Worked flawlessly. Much cheaper than Widgit as well. You can be converted for less than $30.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
If you're asking because of that comment someone made about chainstay clearance in your other thread, well that depends entirely on the frame in question and the size of the Widgit ring you're using and isn't necessarily related to wheel size. My Inbred 29er doesn't have proper clearance for an inner guide, but it still has more than my last 26"-wheeled frame. That said, the drive for super short chainstays and huge tire clearance on 29ers can make some 29er hardtails a bit more likely to have this problem unless they have a chainstay yoke or something else to increase ring clearance. Another broad generalization is that full suspension bikes regardless of wheel size often have a bit better ring clearance than hardtails
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
boomn said:
If you're asking because of that comment someone made about chainstay clearance in your other thread, well that depends entirely on the frame in question and the size of the Widgit ring you're using and isn't necessarily related to wheel size. My Inbred 29er doesn't have proper clearance for an inner guide, but it still has more than my last 26"-wheeled frame. That said, the drive for super short chainstays and huge tire clearance on 29ers can make some 29er hardtails a bit more likely to have this problem unless they have a chainstay yoke or something else to increase ring clearance. Another broad generalization is that full suspension bikes regardless of wheel size often have a bit better ring clearance than hardtails
Good and fair comment. However, if there is an issue with 29er HT's shouldn't this point be made on the Widgit site, and made clearly?

The Widgit is a pricey item, and Widgit owner Paul Haggerty will not take returns. In fact it was his curt and unresponsive replies to a return request which got me posting in the first place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
bonesetter2004 said:
Good and fair comment. However, if there is an issue with 29er HT's shouldn't this point be made on the Widgit site, and made clearly?

The Widgit is a pricey item, and Widgit owner Paul Haggerty will not take returns. In fact it was his curt and unresponsive replies to a return request which got me posting in the first place.
It's a possible issue with any bike, and like I said my last 26" bike had even less clearance. 29er HT's are probably only slightly more likely to have an issue based on my generalizations.

I agree that not taking returns is not good customer service given the nature of this product and the big variation in frame designs out there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jncarpenter said:
Would this be for an upcoming, or past custom frame? ;)
Past indeed ;) - I was going to try a different SS gearing on the Wolfhound, but then went 1x9 instead which is great :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I have a 32t widgit on my Salsa El Mariachi SS, no problem. But that and a 30t would'nt fit my Lunchbox with 150mm spacing.

Considering a Chumba Hx2 as either ss or 1X9, planning to put the widgit on that one. I've found Paul to be very ok regards my problems with fitting on the Lunchbox, sorry to hear you're not experiencing the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
bonesetter2004 said:
Good and fair comment. However, if there is an issue with 29er HT's shouldn't this point be made on the Widgit site, and made clearly?

The Widgit is a pricey item, and Widgit owner Paul Haggerty will not take returns. In fact it was his curt and unresponsive replies to a return request which got me posting in the first place.
To be honest, if he's giving out "curt and unresponsive replies" to requests, then I'd be looking elsewhere. It's only a single chainring - it's not an earth-shattering piece of gear.
 

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
I'ts a pity it doen't fit properly....on the ohterhand there is so much variation on frame design that there would be no way they could be knowledgable on all specfics. Especially if you had a custom frame or a boutique frame. They stated that there could be issues, and I take they would have suggested to you that you would need to assess the compatability with your frame and make a judgement before ordering? Do they have a no returns statemnet on their site?

Oh, I see you didn't get told about incompatibility before you ordered - I agree that they should spell this out on their site.
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,608 Posts
bonesetter2004 said:
Has anyone had issues getting a Widgit to work on a 29er?

There is no mention of application specifics on the Widgit site but after recently running into (customer relation) problems after buying one have heard of the Widgit not working on some 29er specific applications
As others mentioned, the frame clearance required to run a 28T or 30T Widgit which is mounted in the "tweener" slot between where a granny or middle ring traditionally sits on a triple crank is not a wheel size dependent issue. Or is it?

Depending on your BB spacing - it could end up sitting too close to the chainstay/yoke area. If using an older cartridge BB, you would just get a wider spindle and jack that thing out enough to the right to erase any clearance issues.

Here is an example of a 28T Widgit working on a RIP 9. I've seen a few others in the 1 x 9, 1 x 10 threads on various forums.

I've run a 2 x 9 with a 29T Duo inner ring (pretty much would sit in the same spot as a granny "tween" middle slot Widgit) on the Middleburn Duo crank with 110mm and 113mm BB spindles which gave clearance on some of my 29"er frames, but not on other 29"er frames I own. On those others, the chainstay yoke clearance required moving the drivetrain out to the right a bit on some frames with a longer spindle BB. That was the case with a Niner Air 9, Niner JET 9 and I didn't even try it on the RIP.

Now that SRAM 2 x 10, Shimano 2 x 10, Race Face 2 x 10, etc... are out - here's an example from the SRAM document showing measurements needed for clearance with a 2 x 10 drivetrain....



The L2 and L3 measurements as well as W2 and W3 measurements are similar to what you would need to look at to find out if your particular frame could handle a 28T, 30T, 32T or 34T Widgit.

Looking at the L2 measurement (this measurement is very similar to the spot the ring sits for a Widgit 28T or 30T), you'll see that 55mm is needed for a 26T ring, 60mm for a 28T ring, and 64mm for a 30T ring. Nearly a full centimeter difference between a 26T and a 30T - and that's without the chainguides of a Widgit which extend a bit beyond the teeth.

Going back to what I said above about Niner bikes, they don't recommend going over a 26T inner ring on a 2 x 10 drivetrain (the L2 55mm measurement) for their bikes. So I sure wouldn't try running a 28T or 30T with the additional chainguide rings on the Widgit to fit on my Niners if I was going to try and run with the same BB set up that would work with a triple crank. Now if I wanted to jack things out to the right a bit more and had the type of crankset/BB combo that would allow me that option - I'd give it a go.

Or I would just move up to the 32T or 34T Widgit which mounts in the middle ring slot.

I would measure any frame using the SRAM template to see what the L2 measurement is for a particular frame and try and figure out if my bike had the clearance. What's your L2 measurement on the frame you have? Is it possible the same clearance issues you are experiencing may appear on some 26" wheel frames as well? Or are certain 26" wheel frames having issues with the new 2 x 10 drivetrains with the L2 and L3 measurements just like the Niner bikes are?

BB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
OK, BB put up some good points, but he also then brought up a very detailed drawing by a manufacturer, provided so possible customers could/would know if their particular frame would work with the manufacturers product. I'd assume this is not very hard to produce (as companies I would think would do this sort of research before hand to determin their products viabilty of working ona miriad of frames) and a company such as Widgit should have something like this for possible customers to look at and determin if the product would in fact work on their frame. Them not having a drawing like this and not saying there could be fit issues and then not accepting returns is not very good business practices IMHO and if I was BS I'd be POd too.
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,608 Posts
LyNx said:
OK, BB put up some good points, but he also then brought up a very detailed drawing by a manufacturer, provided so possible customers could/would know if their particular frame would work with the manufacturers product. I'd assume this is not very hard to produce (as companies I would think would do this sort of research before hand to determin their products viabilty of working ona miriad of frames) and a company such as Widgit should have something like this for possible customers to look at and determin if the product would in fact work on their frame. Them not having a drawing like this and not saying there could be fit issues and then not accepting returns is not very good business practices IMHO and if I was BS I'd be POd too.
In the case of the OP, he ordered it and received it. Didn't take it out of the package and then decided he didn't need it. It was only after another poster in that thread mentioned he had not had good luck getting one to fit on his two 29"er frames (didn't mention what frames or what crank/BB combo he was using) that the OP started this thread. In other words, it might very well fit and work fine for the OP if he decides to take it out of the package and try it on his own 29"er. His complaint - at this juncture - is more of a return policy beef since he changed his mind after ordering the Widgit.

I'm going to agree with you on the idea Widgit ought to have some sort of parameters posted up on their site under the technical section mentioning frame clearance. As well, you would think since they don't list any measurement guidelines that an exchange program should be available where you could swap out to the Widgit that fits on the middle ring position (32 and 34T) if the granny mounted (28 or 30T) doesn't clear.

On the other hand, if you read a lot of the 1 x 9 and 1 x 10 threads you will encounter a lot of clearance issues people have in trying to make a bash sandwich on all sorts of bike frames work.
 

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
BruceBrown said:
In the case of the OP, he ordered it and received it. Didn't take it out of the package and then decided he didn't need it. It was only after another poster in that thread mentioned he had not had good luck getting one to fit on his two 29"er frames (didn't mention what frames or what crank/BB combo he was using) that the OP started this thread. In other words, it might very well fit and work fine for the OP if he decides to take it out of the package and try it on his own 29"er. His complaint - at this juncture - is more of a return policy beef since he changed his mind after ordering the Widgit.
In this respect, a no return policy would be common for a lot of companies if there is not defect or fault. The only places around here that offer that are big department stores.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
finch2 said:
In this respect, a no return policy would be common for a lot of companies if there is not defect or fault. The only places around here that offer that are big department stores.
Sure, but you are in Australia like Widgit and someone in the other thread pointed out that a no return policy is apparently the norm there. Unfortunately the rest of the world doesn't necessarily work the same, especially for unopened goods, and Widgit would do themselves well not just to be more explicit about these kind of policies but to be more aware of international differences when trying to sell internationally
 

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
boomn said:
Sure, but you are in Australia like Widgit and someone in the other thread pointed out that a no return policy is apparently the norm there. Unfortunately the rest of the world doesn't necessarily work the same, especially for unopened goods, and Widgit would do themselves well not just to be more explicit about these kind of policies but to be more aware of international differences when trying to sell internationally
Yes I think you are right and they could do more to communicate clearly. If there was a fair bit of time between purchase and return you'd think there would be less interest in taking a return however. I think a return policy on unopened/unused goods is a good idea, but small companies probably don't want the hassle - if so they should be clear about it. Not sure if it would have made a difference in this case though, as it was intended to be used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
I ordered a Widgit. I wasn't impressed with it. Seemed like it would get trashed pretty quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
kjartandaddy said:
So, have you thrashed it?
didn't end up using it on my bike. Plus my paradox chain stays wouldn't allow it.

I ended up using these. Works like a charm. Chain hasn't fallen off once and I don't have to worry about screwing an expensive piece of equipment like the Widgit.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top