Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!

I tried to read through the 2018 thread to find this answer but didn't come across it. Sorry if it has been asked and answered before.

My husband really likes this bike and is considering purchasing it but after coming from 2.8" tires, he doesn't love how skinny the stock 2.3" tires on this bike are.

Has anyone riding wider tires on this bike? How do you like it? What do you think the widest front and back tire that you could get on this bike would be? We would stick with the stock rims that are 30mm (I believe). Would love to be able to put 2.5" on the front and 2.4" on the back.

Also, are the frames for the 2018's exactly the same as for the 2019's? Wondering if he get wider tires on the 2018's as well if we got a good deal on one of those instead of a 2019.

Thanks!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hey All!

I tried to read through the 2018 thread to find this answer but didn't come across it. Sorry if it has been asked and answered before.

My husband really likes this bike and is considering purchasing it but after coming from 2.8" tires, he doesn't love how skinny the stock 2.3" tires on this bike are.

Has anyone riding wider tires on this bike? How do you like it? What do you think the widest front and back tire that you could get on this bike would be? We would stick with the stock rims that are 30mm (I believe). Would love to be able to put 2.5" on the front and 2.4" on the back.

Also, are the frames for the 2018's exactly the same as for the 2019's? Wondering if he get wider tires on the 2018's as well if we got a good deal on one of those instead of a 2019.

Thanks!
You should be able to get at least 2.5" on the rear, possibly a lower profile 2.6" (Maxxis Rekon). As for the front, it's dependent on the fork, but you haven't changed it, 2.6" will fit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I currently run a 29x2.6 Hans Damphf on the front and a 29x2.6 Nobby Nic rear with no issues or worries about clearances. Both are mounted on 30mm interior width rims. Will post pics if i can find them

·
There's no need to fear.
75 Posts
You can also turn an Instinct into a Pipeline by running 27.5+ wheels. I'm pretty sure you can run those tyres up to 2.8".
I believe the 2018 and 2019 Instinct frames are the same.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes. My bike has Santa Cruz Reserve 30s on it.

To be completely honest, I’m very happy with the 2.6 and it helps a ton with some of the loose and sandy sections that are all over my typical trails, that’s pretty much the biggest thing though. You definitely feel the slower spin up with the additional mass rotating. My next set of shoes will be 2.4s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2018 which is the same frame as 2019. I run a Forekaster and Rekon 2.6 front and rear. Good clearance but that is the max I would go. I’m using i29 carbon rims.

My bike is actually a C70 Pipeline which is the same frame as the Instinct sans the removable fork to headset spacer. It’s been setup as a 29er since day one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey All!

Thanks!
I believe the Instinct can handle 27.5+ tires. You should be able to fit 3" tires. Their diameter should be close to 29 tires and you get wider tires ... with some added weight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you go that route, you’ll need the cup adapter to correct the geometry for the slight difference in diameter.

The instinct is nearly the same bike as the pipeline. The frames are identical, only minor differences in trim out and 29 vs 27.5+

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.