Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Personally, I've run up to a 2.4 (bontrager earl). It worked, as long as I didn't use the last 1/4 amount of travel, because the tire rubbed somewhere on the frame. I'd say that you could run a 2.35-2.4 depending on what brand or model.

Andrew

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YonderUnit said:
Personally, I've run up to a 2.4 (bontrager earl). It worked, as long as I didn't use the last 1/4 amount of travel, because the tire rubbed somewhere on the frame. I'd say that you could run a 2.35-2.4 depending on what brand or model.

Andrew
wow! really a 2.4 would fit an NRS.. what year is your NRS? it doesn't rub on the side?? what do you mean rubbing somewhere on the frame?? is rubbing by the seat tube?

·
Registered
54 Posts
It is an '04. There is enough clearance to the sides. I never actually could tell where the tire hit. I only heard a rubbing noise for a short time. My best guess is that it rubs on the chainstays near the small piece that connects the two together, since it fits the closest there. The tire does change shape a little bit for big hits as the tire compresses, and then rubs on the chainstays. I'll work on getting a pic or two.

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
let the air out of the shock to check rubbing...

chadsterNRS said:
it doesn't rub on the side?? what do you mean rubbing somewhere on the frame?? is rubbing by the seat tube?
Another way to figure out where it would rub would be to let the air out of your shock (at least to a low pressure), and exercise the full range of motion

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YonderUnit said:
It is an '04. There is enough clearance to the sides. I never actually could tell where the tire hit. I only heard a rubbing noise for a short time. My best guess is that it rubs on the chainstays near the small piece that connects the two together, since it fits the closest there. The tire does change shape a little bit for big hits as the tire compresses, and then rubs on the chainstays. I'll work on getting a pic or two.
a picture will be great.. thanks!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'm running a 2004 NRS 2 with the stock front end and currently run Contintental Mountain King 2.2's. The Mountain King 2.4 barely fits - there is some rub when cornering and climbing with the front end. In the past I've run Nevgal 2.3s and had much more rub. All front end.

The MK 2.4 worked quite well on the rear.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I've found the limiting factor to be the FD clearance when in granny on my 05 NRS, obviously not an issue if you are doing a 2x or 1x setup. That being said, I did fit a WTB WW LT 2.5 in there (rubbing FD in granny) I can also fit a WTB Stout, WWII (2.3") and a 2.1 Nevegal (actually wider than a WTB 2.3).

The stout doesn't work so great in thick mud when trying to ride in granny: chainsuck because the FD is getting clogged as it scrapes all the mud off the side of the tire.

edit: my rims are ZTR Flow!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.