Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchasing some gravel bikes. Wanted to try to utilize my 650b wheels from my slash. They are 30.5mm inner though. The manufacture says the gravel bike will fit a 2.1 on 650b. Most of my info for minimal tire width for those rims I’m reading 2.2. Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,474 Posts
Out of curiosity, how many gravel bikes are you purchasing?

As for thoughts on this, since you'll have frames, wheels & tires, seems like you'll be able to get out your clipboard, don your lab coat & safety glasses and do a little experimenting.
=sParty

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2. One for the wife and I. It’s a big job and I don’t have the extra money or time to disassembly and convert hubs to find out they aren’t going to happen. Maybe next winter

·
since 4/10/2009
30,825 Posts
I mean you can rock whatever tire size you want on gravel. Wider tires have notable benefits if you've got fresh gravel to deal with.

But yeah, if you've got wide rims, you don't want to put narrow tires on 'em because it'll square them off and make the traction and handling suck.

Tire and rim manufacturers have some information on rim width/tire width compatibilities that you'd find useful.

This chart is in the manual for some DT Swiss rims I bought.

by Nate, on Flickr

Stans has this page about it:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Purchasing some gravel bikes. Wanted to try to utilize my 650b wheels from my slash. They are 30.5mm inner though. The manufacture says the gravel bike will fit a 2.1 on 650b. Most of my info for minimal tire width for those rims I’m reading 2.2. Any thoughts on this?

I think you may run into two challenges:
1. The minimum correct tire width that will fit your 30mm internal rim may end up being to big for your frame
2. Going with an underside tire will square off the tire on such a wide internal width.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spanks website says that this rim will take 2.0-2.6. My suspension mechanic also said it would be fine but mtb rims are usually built with a 50psi max in mind. Anyone care to share what they are running for tire pressure? And if you do share could you please just tell me rim width and tire size please ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Spanks website says that this rim will take 2.0-2.6. My suspension mechanic also said it would be fine but mtb rims are usually built with a 50psi max in mind. Anyone care to share what they are running for tire pressure? And if you do share could you please just tell me rim width and tire size please ?

My all road/gravel bike wheelsets are setup as follows: Both tubeless

Gravel Days: 24mm internal Rim with 38mm Panaracer GK Sk running 30/32psi F/R
All road/paved: 19mm internal width rim with 32mm Panaracer GK Slicks 48/50psi F/R

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,551 Posts
Generally 21-25mm IW rims are considered ideal for modern gravel bikes, though for certain people and applications you can go slightly outside that.

A 650b wheel with a 48c (1.9-2.0" ish) tire should end up around 35-45 psi depending on rider weight.

I agree 30mm is too wide. I also agree you should pay close attention to max tire pressure ratings on MTB rims.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've got three wheelsets for gravel/allroad:

(Road) 700c Cannondale Hollowgram SL 45 Knot i21 w/ Teravail Rampart 700x42
(Mixed) 700c Spinergy GXX i24 w/ Teravail Sparwood 29x2.2
(Offroad) 650b Fulcrum Rapid Red 3 i24 w/ 27.5x2.3 Teravail Ehline

I too couldn't imagine running an i30 wheel with any of those tires and achieving the performance I'm looking for. WTB is another company that has a Tire/Rim Fit Chart that I've utilized when I knew I was approaching marginal sizing. Their chart shows i30 rims compatible with tires down to 42mm, though I'm sure it's manufacturer dependent.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So I came across a video review of the Ritchey Outback Breakaway on Cycling tips.. and they mentioned what they didn't like about the bike: One of the things; the bike was spec'ed with 650B wide internal rims 30+ and 2.1 Gravelking SS tires and they complained that the super wide rims on these 2.1s squared the tire off to much and made for awkward cornering.

"Based on discussions with several colleagues that also rode the bike, the wheelset seems the most likely culprit. There’s not the clearance on the Outback for tyres much wider than what I was running here, which were Panaracer Gravel King SS+ in a 650b x 48 mm width, which measured up here at 52 mm (or, about 2.05”). For the tyre sizes that the Outback is capable of accommodating – which is listed at 650b x 2.0” – that leads me to suspect that a 35 mm internal rim width is a bit too much, squaring off the tyre shape and introducing that funk into the handling. "

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I came across a video review of the Ritchey Outback Breakaway on Cycling tips.. and they mentioned what they didn't like about the bike: One of the things; the bike was spec'ed with 650B wide internal rims 30+ and 2.1 Gravelking SS tires and they complained that the super wide rims on these 2.1s squared the tire off to much and made for awkward cornering.

"Based on discussions with several colleagues that also rode the bike, the wheelset seems the most likely culprit. There’s not the clearance on the Outback for tyres much wider than what I was running here, which were Panaracer Gravel King SS+ in a 650b x 48 mm width, which measured up here at 52 mm (or, about 2.05”). For the tyre sizes that the Outback is capable of accommodating – which is listed at 650b x 2.0” – that leads me to suspect that a 35 mm internal rim width is a bit too much, squaring off the tyre shape and introducing that funk into the handling. "
Appreciate that. The fact that they dislike the 35 and I’m running a 30 might make it ok. We’ll see. It does seem on the wide side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts