Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to be a little against the grain. I've owned my Fuji Jari 1.5 for about a year and it's one of my favorite bikes. This year I decided I'm planning a 650b conversion and going 1990's Pontiac Grand-Ham on the width. I have 55.3mm of clearance in the chainstay and 70mm+ in the fork. I'm going with an Ibis 741 Carbon Wheelset which measures 34mm I.D. and 40mm O.D. Got everything mounted, dished, and tubeless ready... just waiting on my tires to get here.

Has anyone gone with this wide of a rim?

Attachments

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
700c Pub carbon hoops, 28mm internal on my gravel bike. I’ve run everything from 42c WTB Resolutes (45mm actual) up to 2.25” WTB Ninelines (2.3” actual). I liked the cush of the Ninelines off-road, but the 42’s are a better all around tire for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The thing that is pissing me off as of late is I CANNOT find a 47-48c tire that is NOT Skin/Tan Wall. I get it that its coming back, but I'm sick of the trend on gravel bikes anymore. I like it on my mountain bikes because it's rare. Literally, ever gravel tire option is tan wall now and some don't even come in normal black at all. Tanwall just doesn't look good with my color combo. I'm trying to snag a Panaracer GK Slick in 1.9" but am having a little trouble.

edit: found some

·
Human Test Subject
1,430 Posts
The thing that is pissing me off as of late is I CANNOT find a 47-48c tire that is NOT Skin/Tan Wall. I get it that its coming back, but I'm sick of the trend on gravel bikes anymore. I like it on my mountain bikes because it's rare. Literally, ever gravel tire option is tan wall now and some don't even come in normal black anymore. Tanwall just doesn't look good with my color combo. I'm trying to snag a Panaracer GK Slick in 1.9" but am having a little trouble.
Terrene Elwoods are black. WTB is starting to make some in black, and you already mentioned Panaracer.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Ha. I run the Ibis rims on my MTB - but with 2.6" rubber. Works great.

What gravel tires are you planning to run? With 55mm clearance at the back you probably want to run MAX 2" 50mm tires. Probably the standard 47mm is better.

On my gravel 27.5 setup I'm running 2.2" Fast Traks mounted on Stans i21mm rims. I probably would have bought the Ibis 733 i29 if I didn't get a good deal on the Stans.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha. I run the Ibis rims on my MTB - but with 2.6" rubber. Works great.

What gravel tires are you planning to run? With 55mm clearance at the back you probably want to run MAX 2" 50mm tires. Probably the standard 47mm is better.

On my gravel 27.5 setup I'm running 2.2" Fast Traks mounted on Stans i21mm rims. I probably would have bought the Ibis 733 i29 if I didn't get a good deal on the Stans.
Settled on Panaracer Pacenti Para-Moto in 48mm. With the Ibis they will probably balloon out to 50mm or so but I'll be able to dish it to clear. It will be tight but I'm not too worried since I don't get too knarly on this bike. It's going to look sick.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The thing that is pissing me off as of late is I CANNOT find a 47-48c tire that is NOT Skin/Tan Wall. I get it that its coming back, but I'm sick of the trend on gravel bikes anymore. I like it on my mountain bikes because it's rare. Literally, ever gravel tire option is tan wall now and some don't even come in normal black at all. Tanwall just doesn't look good with my color combo. I'm trying to snag a Panaracer GK Slick in 1.9" but am having a little trouble.

edit: found some
The old Pari Moto 1.9" is another option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.