Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
I think the current widest is the Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.4, supposed to be wider than the WTB Wierwolf 2.55 although I have never measured both. I love the Racing Ralphs, and with them mounted on a 35mm wide Salsa Gordo rim, they're really big.

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
Yes, I have both on my bike right now, RR front WW rear. @20psi on 38mm KH rims, RR 2.4 is about 60mm wide, WW 2.55 is about 59mm wide (casing width). The RR is also a couple mm taller and has bigger tread, the RR tread is about as wide as the casing or bigger, the WW tread is smaller than the casing by a couple mm (at least on my fat rims.)

The RR I have weighed in at 605g which is freakishly light for its size, the WW was around 740g. Close third to these two in casing size is the Ardent but it is not quite as big and weighs about like the WW. Nevegal is as big overall and is heavier but it is tread-block bigness, the actual casing is a bit smaller than RR/WW. The Nev's are in a box now since the Denver winter has turned into a season of frozen-mud riding instead of snow. I am liking the big puffy-tire goodness tho.:thumbsup:

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
In my measurements taken over the course of the last 12 months the Weir Wolf LT still has the biggest casing of any 29"er tire by just a hair over the Schwalbe and WTB Stout. The widest tire outer knob to outer knob is the Stout.

There are two other prototype 29"er tires that I am aware of in testing that are wider, but in this economic climate, they may not see the light of day for some time now.

·
This place needs an enema
17,460 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
...in this economic climate, they may not see the light of day for some time now.
Don't bet on it!

"Man cannot live on bread alone...". Downturn or not, we gotta have recreation to keep us sane...

MC

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
mikesee said:
Don't bet on it!

"Man cannot live on bread alone...". Downturn or not, we gotta have recreation to keep us sane...

MC
With less money to spend on it, people will use their tires longer instead of experimenting with others. We'll still recreate but we'll approach it with frugality.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Got to agree here with MC, I think one area people will be able to "afford" is on tyres. They're the cheapest one thing you can do to a bike that can either make your ride a whole lot more enjoyable or totally ruin it. 29er riders are looking for bigger meat, all be it at a reasonable weight, so if the manufacturers can deliver on that I think they'll sell their tyres.

Schmucker said:
With less money to spend on it, people will use their tires longer instead of experimenting with others. We'll still recreate but we'll approach it with frugality.
mikesee said:
Don't bet on it!

As to the OP's question, said already... Don't be lazy, search, it's been beaten too many times already.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Cloxxki said:
It will sell. Only make things that sell.

No-one ever asks for the narrowest tire...
Have you seen the new Big Apple in Lite Skin (and folding bead) version yet? It will be nice having a Big Apple 2.35 at 790g instead of the 995g version. Of course, they're $20 more for that change.:D

BB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.