Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My feet aren't *that* wide, just normal "wide width" in most shoes and often I can just go up a size of wide width isn't available. I currently have some cheapy Pearl Izumi shoes and have noticed that they are too narrow (I didn't notice until I used them on a spin bike, I'm apparently having too much fun on my MTB to notice). Seems like most "wide" shoes are mens and I don't think I need that wide. I've also read that Simano runs a little wider. Thoughts?

·
7,758 Posts
Are the ones you have now women's or men's? "Regular" mens might work if your PI's are women's. I have some women's specialized that seem wider than mens sidis I have had. Or you might just have to go try on a bunch. Also check Keens, I have only worn their "real shoes" but I expect they would be wider than some of the euro/traditional stuff.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, current ones are womens. As a bigger woman (5'9") I often end up with mens stuff (bikes, snowboards, etc). Sometimes I want something girly too! Oh well. At least I have to option of going with mens, I know smaller women don't.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been curious about this as well. I'm still a fairly new rider and ride flat pedals right now but have been putting in a lot more trail time and been thinking about making the switch to clipless. I've seen people squeezing their normal width feet into their little bike shoes and thought there's no way that will work... My feet are quite wide and shoe shopping is always a bit of an ordeal for me. It's actually one of the reasons I haven't even started the process. I know I will get frustrated.

My perfect size is a 7.5 wide in most shoes. I wear a 7 wide in chacos and honestly could take a 6 wide. (feet shaped like pizza slices, very cute...) Sizing up doesn't really work for me.

Anybody else have insight into the best wide cycling shoes? I'd love to know where to start looking.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have to go with men's shoes or my feet will hate me. I have size 8 ish men feet that are wider than my boyfriend's size 11. Same with ski boots. In fact I spent 4-5 ski seasons losing toenails until I finally got a men's ski boot with a nice and wide toe box. Go with what fits and what is comfortable... your feet with thank you!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So quick update. I ended up with these:

SH-WM82 - OFF-ROAD - CYCLING FOOTWEAR AND PEDALS - LIFESTYLE GEAR - SHIMANO

I'd had done some searching and found that Shimano just runs wider in general. No one even carried mens in size 41, which surprised me. Apparently short men don't bike? But those fit even though they were womens. They are soooo comfortable and the sole is pretty rigid (which I guess is good).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Dang- wish I would have stumbled on this thread a few weeks ago. My wife has been dealing with the same issue and has struggled to find MTB shoes that are wide enough & comfortable on her feet- she has some minor bunion issues. Over the last few years she's tried Sidi Dominators & Giro Mantas, both ended hurting her feet. After lots of shopping, research & trying-on she finally settled on these & has really been liking them:
Scorpio | Mavic - United States

They're the widest we could find. We were told they're made on an athletic shoe last since they're made by Adidas. Anyway, another option to try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts