Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey boys and girls, I'm moving up to big wheels and am looking for tire options. I want tires bigger than 2.1 (true measure). I'm sure some will tell me I don't need it because of the larger diameter wheel/tire - humor me, I'm a hard headed F^<% who rides rigid and bombs lots of rocks and likes to have his rims survive.

Searching the archives it looks to me that the Bontrager and Schwabe might be the only options, with the Schwabe being quite the boat anchor. Searched a few online retailers (Speedgoat, AEBike, Webcyclery) and am seeing the same thing.

I'm no weight weenie, but want to keep it reasonable. Did I miss some other brands? Traction for climbs (rear) and high speed cornering (both ends) are also important.

Thanks in advance.

·
Tall Bird Legged Rider
70 Posts
Notos

riderx said:
Hey boys and girls, I'm moving up to big wheels and am looking for tire options. I want tires bigger than 2.1 (true measure). I'm sure some will tell me I don't need it because of the larger diameter wheel/tire - humor me, I'm a hard headed F^<% who rides rigid and bombs lots of rocks and likes to have his rims survive.

Searching the archives it looks to me that the Bontrager and Schwabe might be the only options, with the Schwabe being quite the boat anchor. Searched a few online retailers (Speedgoat, AEBike, Webcyclery) and am seeing the same thing.

I'm no weight weenie, but want to keep it reasonable. Did I miss some other brands? Traction for climbs (rear) and high speed cornering (both ends) are also important.

Thanks in advance.
The largest tire available at this time is the IRC Notos. Not lightest of tires out there, but very durable.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
crussell said:
The largest tire available at this time is the IRC Notos. Not lightest of tires out there, but very durable.
How wide? Speedgoat lists it as 2.1, is there a larger version? It also lists it as 665g, which is plenty fine w/ me. Under 800g satisfies me.

Q for W_T_B users: do the 2.1s measure a true 2.1? I'm a big fan of the Motoraptor 2.4s on my 26", so they might be an option.

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have two of the Bontrager Jones 2.2 tires and they really don't seem any bigger than a 2.1 Kenda Klaw. I like the Klaw better than the Jones. For my conditions (southwest) it is grippier in the corners. I think if you really want bigger than 2.1 you're going to have to wait for the new WTB tire, and it looks like that will be several more months. My WTB nanos measure pretty close to a true 2.1, but they don't have big knobs (they are my favorite rear tire, by the way)

EDIT: I forgot to say that I'm certainly not going to be the one to try and convince you that you don't need bigger tires. Although I wouldn't trade my Karate Monkey or Asylum for a 26 any day, I personally can't wait for the larger volume tires to come. Right now the lack of big tires are the only negative I can think of for 29ers. Until then it is Klaw front and nanoraptor rear for me

riderx said:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
215 Posts
welcome to the club

First question is what 29er are you getting to replace that Surly 1x1 you broke? Continuing your sponsorship of the folks at Surly or jumpin ship?

I've been trying out different tires, here's what I've found. Not many choices out there.

Bontrager 2.2 - Biggest tire available at the moment. Casing isn't much bigger than other 2.1's but more sidewall tread makes them look bigger. Pretty comfy tire and the lightest at the moment appr 570grams. Good front tire, rear is a little squirley on the wet stuff especially roots. Rode these F/R at 24hrs of snowshoe with good success.

WTB Moto 2.1- My current favorite rear tire. Wish I could get the kevlar bead (cause I'm a weight weenie) but the tread is great, hooks up real nice and is good on the wet stuff. Tested it out at Michaux this past weekend and it's great. I hear the tread wears a little fast but so far so good. Works great on the front as well but prefer the Bonti. Listed at 595 kevlar and 640 wire but the wire is alittle heavier than advertised.

WTB- Nano- Haven't been able to get one but looks like a great rear tire for dry hardpack etc (Patapsco/Schaeffer during a dry summer)

WTB Mutano 44- Fast and light but not much cushion. Great race tire for hardpack etc but definitely not a rocky/rooty/comfy tire. We'll you know from riding them on your crosscheck. I wish the would make this in a 2.1/2.4 29er tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IRC Mythos 2.1- Arguably the best do all tire. Front and rear specific tread. Tuff sidewalls, good traction in all conditions and decent rolling. All for 680grams Wire bead only at the moment and works well with Stan's. (MyLittleKitty's current pick for the pink pa 29er)

Kenda Claws 2.1- Haven't tried the Kenda's but hear good things about it from the Speed Goat guys (PA rocky trails). 680grams and front / rear specific tread. Strong sidewalls and good tread life.

Conti Vapor 2.1- haven''t tried yet but looks more like a true XC race tire by the tread pattern. Maybe a decent dry summer tire her on the East Coast but looks a little week for roots and rocks. 590grams

Join the club waiting for WTB's 2.5 weirwolf.

On a nother note- TUBES.

The weight weenie in me prompted a test of lighter non 29er tubes. I've been using the Performance brand 700c 28-35c tubes in my 29er. Purchased the tubes 2 days before snowshoe (6/25) run 25-30 psi and haven't have a pinch flat yet. Which for me is a miracle.

I bottom these out all the time over roots, rocks etc and it amazes me they still hold air.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rockdogger, thanks for all the info (and everyone else too). I was going to email you and let you know what I've got going on. The 29er will be replacing my ENOed Ibis. Got a Kelly that should be arriving at Pedal Shop today. Surly 1x1 will be back in action soon.

Right now, based on all the info I've got I'm leaning towards the Bontrager for the front and WTB Moto or IRC Mythos for the rear. But, more opinions gladly welcome. Also considering the Klaw for the rear, but I've been running the 26 version on the Ibis the past few weeks and am not too impressed.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rockdogger said:
Very cool MR X.

Details please:

What color? Matching fork? Wheelset (the lighter the better)?

Is this your new sm100 machine?
I thought you would like that. :) Color: Orange Crush, matching disc fork, wheels- rear: Surly hub w/ Sun CR18 in the rear - it's coming off the x-check (building a Level fixed hub for that). Front: to be built. Probably another Sun for the rim, maybe a Surly disc hub, not sure yet. Also, Jones H-bars will be living on this bike.

No plans to do the 100, but I am considering this a long distance type bike.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
My experience with Kendas is that they work great but wear really quick. Supposedly this tire is another good player with Stans.

Rockdogger said:
First question is what 29er are you getting to replace that Surly 1x1 you broke? Continuing your sponsorship of the folks at Surly or jumpin ship?

I've been trying out different tires, here's what I've found. Not many choices out there.

Bontrager 2.2 - Biggest tire available at the moment. Casing isn't much bigger than other 2.1's but more sidewall tread makes them look bigger. Pretty comfy tire and the lightest at the moment appr 570grams. Good front tire, rear is a little squirley on the wet stuff especially roots. Rode these F/R at 24hrs of snowshoe with good success.

WTB Moto 2.1- My current favorite rear tire. Wish I could get the kevlar bead (cause I'm a weight weenie) but the tread is great, hooks up real nice and is good on the wet stuff. Tested it out at Michaux this past weekend and it's great. I hear the tread wears a little fast but so far so good. Works great on the front as well but prefer the Bonti. Listed at 595 kevlar and 640 wire but the wire is alittle heavier than advertised.

WTB- Nano- Haven't been able to get one but looks like a great rear tire for dry hardpack etc (Patapsco/Schaeffer during a dry summer)

WTB Mutano 44- Fast and light but not much cushion. Great race tire for hardpack etc but definitely not a rocky/rooty/comfy tire. We'll you know from riding them on your crosscheck. I wish the would make this in a 2.1/2.4 29er tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IRC Mythos 2.1- Arguably the best do all tire. Front and rear specific tread. Tuff sidewalls, good traction in all conditions and decent rolling. All for 680grams Wire bead only at the moment and works well with Stan's. (MyLittleKitty's current pick for the pink pa 29er)

Kenda Claws 2.1- Haven't tried the Kenda's but hear good things about it from the Speed Goat guys (PA rocky trails). 680grams and front / rear specific tread. Strong sidewalls and good tread life.

Conti Vapor 2.1- haven''t tried yet but looks more like a true XC race tire by the tread pattern. Maybe a decent dry summer tire her on the East Coast but looks a little week for roots and rocks. 590grams

Join the club waiting for WTB's 2.5 weirwolf.

On a nother note- TUBES.

The weight weenie in me prompted a test of lighter non 29er tubes. I've been using the Performance brand 700c 28-35c tubes in my 29er. Purchased the tubes 2 days before snowshoe (6/25) run 25-30 psi and haven't have a pinch flat yet. Which for me is a miracle.

I bottom these out all the time over roots, rocks etc and it amazes me they still hold air.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.