Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got one of each, a DM24 and DX32. The DX32 being ultra-wide, the DM24 average width.

I'm debating lacing the DM24 for the front and the DX32 for the rear...but I'm wondering if I should buy one more and run the same front and rear...only I don't know what one to go with.

Does a wide rim like the DX32 help? I noticed with my fat arse, the narrower rims like the DM24 make the tire feel like its floating around back there a little...I've not run the DX32 yet. Would this make the tire feel more stabilized because the rim is wider?

I know the DX32 is heavier, but weight is not so much of an issue.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I will say a 2.4 Trail King feels like there is less float in g-outs and turns on a 32mm rim (don't recall brand, was borrowed) compared to a 23mm (Mavic 823), and about the same over roots and rocks. Same bike.

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,242 Posts
I have a pair of WTB KOMs that are 23mm internal width and also have a pair of i25's which are a 25mm inner width. I ride 2.3's on both and to be honest, I cant really tell a difference as far as the tires acting differently.
Going from 21mm internal (Laser TCS Rims) to 30mm internal (Blunt 35)...now that was a noticeable difference. I doubt I would have noticed much if I simply went from 21mm to 23mm TCS rims.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just bought a mountain king 2.4 for front wheel. My rim is 19mm (internal) "xc" rim. I use tubes. Its stock from giant. Is this a problem? I ran ~40 psi front. Can I run lower now?

The stock xc tire from giant was 2.1, now front wheel almost looks like its a 27.5 compared to rear 26 stock tire.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just bought a mountain king 2.4 for front wheel. My rim is 19mm (internal) "xc" rim. I use tubes. Its stock from giant. Is this a problem? I ran ~40 psi front. Can I run lower now?

The stock xc tire from giant was 2.1, now front wheel almost looks like its a 27.5 compared to rear 26 stock tire.
Shouldn't be a problem, but the link in post#5 explains the side-roll disadvantages. So time for new rims! I've gone to a Velocity Dually rim (40 mm internal) on the front.

2.4" tires started coming out back in the olden days (~2000) when 17 mm internal rims were the norm. I've ran 2.4 WTB Mutanorapters at 35+ psi without problems, plus Conti had 2.4s. Lower pressure may work, but you'll have to decide how goofy the handling is...

The future is wider rims. I'd suggest buying something >= 22 mm internal (there are some cheap new or used wheels available if cost is an issue) or taking a serious look at building a wheelset with Velocity Blunt 35's or wide Chinese carbon rims.

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts

Why are you running 40 psi in your front tire?! Seems awfully high. I am no lightweight, but I am only running about 24-26 in the front.

As far as a 2.4 on a 19mm rim, it will probably be all right, but not optimal. 19mm is a light xc width anymore

·
Registered
125 Posts
Do you have tubeless? I have always ran tubes since forever and got a pinch flat with a psi I dontv remember. I didn't like paying $6.00 for the tire.I don't want to get more pinch flats. I'll try 35 psi.

If I get a flat, is on you

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
Do you have tubeless? I have always ran tubes since forever and got a pinch flat with a psi I dontv remember. I didn't like paying $6.00 for the tire.I don't want to get more pinch flats. I'll try 35 psi.

If I get a flat, is on you
I do have tubeless. It makes those pesky pinch flats go away :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.