Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Velocity Blunts.......28mm wide.......480g........$70 each.......available in Silver.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those would be perfect...

jrm said:
would fit the bill.
... if they were wider. Did you get a set built up with Bonti Mustangs? Can I check those out?

I'm just thinking I get way too many pinch flats, and a wider rim than what I got would help. I suppose more air pressure would help too, and that doesn't cost me anything.

Anyway, I'm starting to gather parts to build my gearie 29er trailbike. I have a line on some good cheap hubs, and a library of spokes (and a spoke cutter/thread roller) to do my build.

I'll probably just end up doing Bontrager Mustangs. They are great rims.

Hey, you wanna do a slowpoke Chabot/Redwood loop tomorrow? I wanna try out my fully loaded camping rig on the trail. Climbs are gonna suck on that thing.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Hey..

pimpbot said:
... if they were wider. Did you get a set built up with Bonti Mustangs? Can I check those out?

I'm just thinking I get way too many pinch flats, and a wider rim than what I got would help. I suppose more air pressure would help too, and that doesn't cost me anything.

Anyway, I'm starting to gather parts to build my gearie 29er trailbike. I have a line on some good cheap hubs, and a library of spokes (and a spoke cutter/thread roller) to do my build.

I'll probably just end up doing Bontrager Mustangs. They are great rims.

Hey, you wanna do a slowpoke Chabot/Redwood loop tomorrow? I wanna try out my fully loaded camping rig on the trail. Climbs are gonna suck on that thing.
Yup mike see built me up the current wheelset on the rey. The wheels on the EM are DT 470s with XT hubs. So did you see that link to the motobecane frameset on e-bay i sent you? that was a nice deal. Being @ d-ville last weekend and next weekend up the hill im trying to get a buch of stuff done around the house or i would.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a personal question!

FoShizzle said:
how big are you?

I am super duper happy with my Blunts, even though they have a ghey Australian accent...plus, the stickers are psick!
I'm 200-ish these days, but I ride skinny light XC rims (bontrager mustangs, Bontrager XXX racelights, etc) with 14/15 spokes (the XXXlights run 24 14/17 spokes:eek: ) on all my 26er bikes and rarely throw a rim out of true.

Yeah, saw that Motobecane frame. I might just do that to convert my FS 26" stumpy to a 29er... to get myself rolling, then get an El Ray or something else nice once I save up the cash.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dunno....

pimpbot said:
I'm 200-ish these days, but I ride skinny light XC rims (bontrager mustangs, Bontrager XXX racelights, etc) with 14/15 spokes (the XXXlights run 24 14/17 spokes:eek: ) on all my 26er bikes and rarely throw a rim out of true.

Yeah, saw that Motobecane frame. I might just do that to convert my FS 26" stumpy to a 29er... to get myself rolling, then get an El Ray or something else nice once I save up the cash.
I think I'm leaning towards Sun CR18s. I have a CX set of wheels made up with those. Kind of a cheapy rim, but they seem to be stiff. Just for kicks I tried mounting up a 29er tire to it to see if it looks reasonably well supported.

Bonus points for silver, and 480g too.

THen I started thinking about that guy who had some old stock Bontrager Mustang 29er hoops for $30 each. THat is got to be just about as narrow, tho.... and about as light if not a tad lighter. Bonus points for welded seams. One point against for being black with machined sidewalls.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dang....

Paul B said:
I just saw the Bonty Rhythms at my LBS yesterday -- as wide as Flows and they have eyelets, yay! Don't know anything about their weight or anything else, but they're kind of a matte gray, not silver.

p.
I can't find any info on those at all. I'm sure they aren't in the $30 a hoop range, but I'll ask the LBS about them.

About the Velocity Blunts.... A lot of folks seem to be complaining about how delicate they are. Is that just the thing where people only say anything when things go badly for them?

I don't tend to ever tweak rims, so I'm not sure how overly-concerned I am about durablility.

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
i've got some silver wheels that are 40mm wide. the rear is 1300 grams *with* skewer, 9spd freewheel and duct tape rim liner. :D now if i could just some 29" tires to fit that'll stay on at low pressure....

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Catch the Rhythm, or go with the Flow?

Paul B said:
I just saw the Bonty Rhythms at my LBS yesterday -- as wide as Flows and they have eyelets, yay! Don't know anything about their weight or anything else, but they're kind of a matte gray, not silver.

p.
That's the wheel my shop recommended to me. I think the rim color is referred to as "pewter." Really nice looking (and I usally think anything branded "Bontrager" is ugly). I went with the more narrow Arch rim laced to a SS King hubs - being built tomorrow! The Rhythm's rims are prettier, though, IMO. If you buy the 32h rim by itself ("Duster") I think its black, and a bit lighter than a Flow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.