Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building two wheelsets to swap between my two bikes, (which hopefully wont take much derailleur tuning when swapping) one more bike park descending oriented, probably in the 30ish inner width range, cush cores front and rear, etc..

my other set though i'll splurge a bit more for, I'm thinking an XC/trail oriented set, in the 1500 gram or ideally less range. more for those days where i'm doing long rides, not smashing stuff at 10/10ths etc.. and races. it'll spend most its time on my short travel bike. I want carbon rims for their snappy responsive feel.

Anyway, i wanted to see what people thought about doing different widths front and rear, and possibly 28 spokes front, 32 rear. I'll probably be running EXO 2.5 dhf front, 2.3 DHR or Aggressor rear, or hopefully i find a lighter combo that doesnt give up much in grip.

I was thinking 28-30 front and around 23-25 rear for width, the only issue I could see with that is most companies narrower wheels I would think are going to be more XC oriented and weaker than their wider options, where i kind of need the front to be at least as if not stronger than the front. One option could be to run a lightweight insert.

I'm looking at the NOX skyline rear, and teocalli front rim, or the We Are One Revive rear Faction front. I'm definitely leaning towards the we are ones.

I'm trying to think of what you're looking for out of the front vs rear tire, a more square profile with a wide rim in the front and rounder profile with a narrower rim in the rear makes sense, I just wonder if it would get to a point where leaning the bike enough to get the rear knobs to bite, would be past the point where the fronts are biting and you'd lose the front? A lot of rear tires dont have that pronounced channel that a DHF does to where you NEED to have the bike leaned a lot to get it to grip, but something like a DHR might? You'd probably have to be pretty committed to a narrower width tire in the rear as well, running a 2.5 might not work so great.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
I ran 27f 24r last season. I'm on 27f 28r this season.

Not a whole lot of difference honestly. I'd say id be a bit hard pressed to even notice. I went to a carbon rear, otherwise I would have been just fine on the old set up.

I'd pick widths based on how big of a tire you really want to run. I'm not going to run anything bigger than a 2.35 out back, so 25mm works for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i dont see running more than a DHR 2.3 rear. I might want to play around with some higher volume XC oriented tires in the 2.4-2.6 range, but i'd be doing that for endurance style races where i'm not flat out cornering. Even on my enduro rig I like a slightly smaller rear.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'll be doing exactly what you're thinking of re: different rim widths, even with the same tyre size.

Another thing to think of is where your weight is front to rear. If sitting or riding on flatter ground, it's probably 60% rear, so it makes sense to have a rounder static profile, because it'll flatten with the extra weight when loaded. If your sole focus is descending on steeper trails, then this premise probably doesn't apply though??

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
I've been debating this concept of different sized rims or tires for a while, but I usually go back to the same tire and rim f and rear. I want equal cornering traction so I pick equal side knobs and tire profile, and that means the same rim width. I want good braking in the front but good climbing traction in the rear, so that means a good center tread. Yep, same tire f and r again. The only exception I'm currently making is XR5 front, Goma rear. But these tires are very similar.

·
Freezer
607 Posts
I've been debating this concept of different sized rims or tires for a while, but I usually go back to the same tire and rim f and rear. I want equal cornering traction so I pick equal side knobs and tire profile, and that means the same rim width. I want good braking in the front but good climbing traction in the rear, so that means a good center tread. Yep, same tire f and r again. The only exception I'm currently making is XR5 front, Goma rear. But these tires are very similar.
Another perspective is cornering traction front/rear. Personally, I'd rather have the rear end push from lack of traction than the front end. Squirmy rear end can be fun to play with; squirmy front end can put you down fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.