Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
Dollars to doughnuts, Light-Bicycle has 26" hookless 40mm rims out by the end of the year for $175. Hookless is easier to mold than hooked, and they seem to be able to hit the niche markets effectively.

P.S.: The Ibis hubs look pretty standard, with easily-replaced J-bend spokes. Good choice, as there's no reason to reinvent the wheel here.

·
mountain biker
535 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Dollars to doughnuts, Light-Bicycle has 26" hookless 40mm rims out by the end of the year for $175. Hookless is easier to mold than hooked, and they seem to be able to hit the niche markets effectively.

P.S.: The Ibis hubs look pretty standard, with easily-replaced J-bend spokes. Good choice, as there's no reason to reinvent the wheel here.
Pretty sure you just won a dougnut.

Browsing the LB thread below the 26'er Wider page (I think it is that thread, posted prob. 6 months ago) they mention they are making a custom wider rim for somebody. At the time an email confirmed it is 40mm and they referred me to the distributor.

Edit:
From this link:
wider mtb 26er carbon bike rim 26 inch rims(tubeless-compatible) Light-Bicycle

Here's the comment I followed up on by email to confirm they are 40mm wide:

2012-11-28

Mark :

Can you make this wheel in a 50mm width? The fat tire MTB community needs a light rim that is also wide. Thanks!
2012-11-29

Support :

Hello Mark, Thanks for your inquiry. One of our customer is designing wide rim, but it will take quite a long time to test. He will let us manufacture the rims for him. And once the rims are ready, you can order from him. Thanks, Light-bicycle

Reactions: d-bug

·
Registered
44 Posts
For years we've had wheels of internal width 19-21 mm, all of sudden Ibis produces 29" carbon, internal width of 35 mm, with a rather heavy weight of 1770g. A set of carbon wheels with internal width, say, 25 mm with a 200 g reduction in weight would have been great for Ripley.

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
After reading that NSMB review definitely more interested!

Ive been preaching wider rims for years surprised its taken so long, now Enve, Ibis have dropped in on Derby, the rims do look nicely finished.

I like the concept of where Ibis are going with the hubs, just struggling with them as an option and complete builds definitely limiting at this stage, colours for one, plus I don't trust anyone but my own wheel builder to build a wheel to std I like.

Still looks great on paper and the more pushing this the better, SP has been on lower pressures for ages and everyone was poo pooing him, now you know why, its alway about width and girth not length!

Good work Ibis, now do a rim only option asap!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I e-mail Derby the other day about getting these rims from him and he pointed out that they are not the same design and that he would not be selling them. When you look closer at the 29'r rim specs, Derby's are 35mm OD/29mm ID, IBIS' are 41mm OD/35mm ID.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.