Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of those using the various wide based cogs (King, Surly etc) is there a 'typical' base width? 8mm/10mm?

if you are using a conversion kit how do you compensate for the added width?

is the pref for stainless or alloy?

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
My Boone Cogs are all a tad over 8mm wide - the Surly cogs are 4-5mm wide. Don't have a King Kog here to measure - but if I remember corectly it was in the middle of the 2 sizes. I also had a Spicer 19t Ti cog - that was about 12mm wide.

I have a ton of spacers... blue Problem solvers 3mm wide, Black Novatech ones a tad over 3mm wide, and the Boone Wavies... many sizes....

Hope this helps

FF

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Don't know the measurement of the base of the cogs but this pic shows the difference between Boone, King and Novatech.

Don't know the size but my Endless is a bit wider than the Boone that I got.

You could use PVC pipe, cassette spacers and custom spacers like Endless, Boone and others.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that helps thanks both.
i was hoping for a standard but that would be silly.

my current kits are 2x12mm 2x4mm and 1x2mm alloy. i guess for future i could change one of the 12's to 4's but...i wanted to allow for chainline adjustment and prevent it from becoming a jig saw puzzle.

you guys and your PVC. don't you know my kids go hungry when you DIY? yes i know it works, t'was my first conversion...don't tell.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Boone is wide

Boone make a nice cog I have one aluminum spacer on the inside The grooved peices on either side of the teeth are part of the cog. The black peice on the outsice is the nut. Not to bad price wise either. $47.50 w/shipping for a 17t. The price goes up for more teeth.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
thinking out loud.....

if you made them like the surly cogs with all the beef to one side of the cog, you could make them any width up to 1/2 the thickness of the cassette portion of the hub and still have "infinite" adjustability. put a nice radius in from the cog to the flange for strength and appearance. even a monster bevel - i dunno.

i'd buy some. my fuBar rules. :D

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
shiggy said:
The Surly is 4.27mm and the teeth are offset (all of the width is added to one side). They are the same width as one 9-speed cog and spacer.
Question for you, would it be correct to assume that chainline would remain essentially the same as with a Novatec cog and spacer(s), or am I missing something? I'd like to switch to a Surly cog but I've got my chainline the way I want it and I don't want to fool with it, yeah I'm lazy :eek:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
WTB-rider said:
Question for you, would it be correct to assume that chainline would remain essentially the same as with a Novatec cog and spacer(s), or am I missing something? I'd like to switch to a Surly cog but I've got my chainline the way I want it and I don't want to fool with it, yeah I'm lazy :eek:
If you put the flat side of the Surly to the inside the chainline should not change.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Vacation Special said:
chruby99, How do you like that woodman hub?

Thanks.
I just picked it up and have not ridden it yet but the design beats my old gusset 1'er on the 9spd freewheel. The solid axle is nice too. It takes sealed cartridge bearings. I was considering putting a ISO Disc Brake Fixed Gear on the disk mount but it would throw off my chainline.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
WTB-rider said:
That's what I was hoping you'd say :D Thanks.

One more question, any developments with the Vulture/Chester adventure bike you were working on?
Still waiting for the paint to be finished. I have not been pressing it though I am going to check on the status next week.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Lookin'...

I'm looking for a couple new Boone Cogs, does anybody have an LBS that might have a few in stock??? Thanks for any tips/info.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.