Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure exactly what I'm after, but as bars have gotten wider they seem to be more uncomfortable. It seems like my arms angle out but then my wrists have to angle forward and there is nothing to support the outside of my palm. It would be one thing if my hands were lined up with my arms but that's not the case when holding a bar so I find myself supporting my weight with the inside half of my hand and trying to hold the outside half off the bar.

I'm also not that small at 6'2" and I'm not nearly as leaned over as my XC racing days and I'm running 760mm and not the really wide ones which I see are now up to 820 for some bars. Anyone else having this problem? Or found something thats more comfortable? I see bars with more back sweep but it seems like more up sweep is necessary which doesn't seem to vary much?

· Older than I feel
1,907 Posts
Bars with more sweep angle are available. Salsa, SQLabs, ProTaper (formerly Answer) all make bars with sweep angles from 11-20 degrees, in flat and riser configurations.

The other thing you can try is grips like Ergon's GP1, with a platform for the outside of your hand.

· Registered
590 Posts
Find your desired sweep: Stick some markers in your hand with a bar width string tied between them. Close your eyes and get them comfy. Draw that angle. Do it 10 times. Measure the angle and buy bars with that sweep.
I've had good luck fitting four different, unique sweeps and rises in my family with Ergotec via bikeinn.

All of them measured more than 9 degrees.

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bars I'm using have 9 deg back sweep and I think 5 up. The back sweep seems important but it seems like up sweep is what is lacking? Maybe if I experience a bar with significant back sweep that will be enough, but picturing the angles while riding, more up sweep seems like it would accomplish what's needed quicker than back sweep.

And I've tried the Grips with the platform and they can help take out some of the trail chatter and even help keep elbows up when bonking and wanting to slouch into a puddle, but I feel like I need the outside of the grip to actually be elevated.

I probably just need to find a well stocked bike shop and try a bunch of stuff instead of over thinking what I think is needed. Unfortunately there are none of those local and probably not even in the state.

· Registered
103 Posts
I really dig the SQLab 30X16 and have 4 sets of them, in both the low (pretty much a flat bar) and high rise (claimed 45 mm rise, but it's more like 30). I had a set of the 30 mm rise model, but it was pretty moderate so I sent it back and got another set of the high rises (not really that high).

All three models have a 4 degree upsweep and a 16 degree back, which to me is really comfortable. Just a data point, but I can't ride any other bar at this time after trying the 30X16.

· Registered
590 Posts
The bars I'm using have 9 deg back sweep and I think 5 up. The back sweep seems important but it seems like up sweep is what is lacking? Maybe if I experience a bar with significant back sweep that will be enough, but picturing the angles while riding, more up sweep seems like it would accomplish what's needed quicker than back sweep.

And I've tried the Grips with the platform and they can help take out some of the trail chatter and even help keep elbows up when bonking and wanting to slouch into a puddle, but I feel like I need the outside of the grip to actually be elevated.

I probably just need to find a well stocked bike shop and try a bunch of stuff instead of over thinking what I think is needed. Unfortunately there are none of those local and probably not even in the state.
You can take the upsweep out of the bars with rotation in the stem. Not so with backsweep. It sounds like you want more rise?

· Registered
109 Posts
I really dig the SQLab 30X16 and have 4 sets of them, in both the low (pretty much a flat bar) and high rise (claimed 45 mm rise, but it's more like 30). I had a set of the 30 mm rise model, but it was pretty moderate so I sent it back and got another set of the high rises (not really that high).

All three models have a 4 degree upsweep and a 16 degree back, which to me is really comfortable. Just a data point, but I can't ride any other bar at this time after trying the 30X16.
The SQLab 30x16 is a great bar... Just wish it was available in 820-840 width. Big people like to ride bikes too...
One day if the tumbleweed persuader bar ever comes back I'll get that one as well.

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can take the upsweep out of the bars with rotation in the stem. Not so with backsweep. It sounds like you want more rise?
It's not rise I'm after, but it seems like a steeper upward angle so the outside of my hands are a bit higher than the inside. Maybe I'll try to take a picture to show what I'm doing to compensate, especially once I start getting tired.

I'll also look at the other suggestions and might just try something with a lot of backsweep and it might do what I'm needing. I'm surprised no one else notices what I'm describing unless I'm not doing a good job explaining it.

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That's a good idea. I have rolled the bar a little when setting it up but I guess I'm paranoid about going too far and riding that way. But it would at least let me know if that increase would be helpful, though I don't think I'll find a bar designed that way.

I would imagine bars would be plenty strong but might be stiffer or not take advantage of any designed compliance?

· Registered
109 Posts
Just updating...
Picked up the surly sunrise bars... Ohh these are nice, yeah heavy.. Don't care.. old school BMX look about them.
Stem is tad long at 75, too much tiller action feel going on. Thinking of swapping out for a 35 to quicken up the reaction.

I do like the sqlab bars, think I'll get an adjustable ritchey stem and see where that sits as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.