Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my fuel ex8 on her maiden voyage today.

LBS told me there there was a mild squeal on the front brakes that should wear in. Well, it's REALLY loud. To the point I don't want to use the front brakes. I only rode 3.5 miles today & plan to ride tomorrow, but it didn't get any better.

I feel like, I paid $2500.00 for a bike, there should be no squeal period... Am I off here? Normal? I'm just annoyed and don't want to blow up at the lbs...

·
Registered
14,061 Posts
SLX brakes like I ride are as good a brake as you can get. Mine have never squealed. That suggests pad contamination, hopefully not from a fluid leak at the caliper. Examine carefully the banjo bolt area.
I would clean the rotor with acetone or brake cleaner and lightly sand it and clean again. Pull the pads and inspect for fluid discoloration. Put a sheet of sandpaper flat on a glass or other flat surface and rub the pad face across it to flatten it out and smooth any irregularities.
A test if you do the break-in again and still get noise is to switch the rotor and pads front to back.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm definitely not doing all that on a bike I just bought...

Thanks for the heads. I'll bring those things up when I take it in.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
498 Posts
On my new Fuel my brakes squealed for a while and then it went away. Where I bought mine they told me that the brakes needed to be worn in.

My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same bike... how long did it take to break in?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
498 Posts
A few rides. I actually rode up and down my street and lightly applied the brakes and would ride 100 feet and then let off for 100 feet and then do it again. But make sure you clean those rotors like the other guy said. I've put over 200 miles on my bike and it's very quit. My bike sat for a few weeks and when I went to ride last week they squealed the first few times I used the brakes then stopped. There is a section on this forum for Trek fuel 29ers you should check it out if u haven't already.

My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts