Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! Whats up? Was finally able to get my santacruz heckler, had it for 2 months now, holding up really well with the type of riding I do. Now i'm looking to get a hardtail as well for some city/urban riding on bike paths and streets and stuff but as well to make a change from my heckler, some trail riding, aggressive xc, light downhills and occasional max 3 foot jumps. Trail and city will also include allot of uphills. I'd like the bike as light as possible for peddling effiency and uphills but strong enuff for the trails. Any opinions on wich bike to get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jack!

·
603 Posts
smokin deal on a Morphine

This might be just what your looking for, plus this is a heck of a deal!

Banshee Morphine link below. Thnaks for lookin'

Porch

·
Registered
454 Posts
Here's a couple more....

How about the new Canondale Rush or the well proven Kona Kula series? BTW it would help narrow down the relevant suggestions if we new your budget...

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Chameleon

I built up a Chameleon this year for freeride/DH and really like the geometry. It also works for urban. Because of the long travel fork, 2.5" dh tires and 8" discs it is not light but certainly has the potential to be light enough if you go with a different parts mix.

Other than that if you really are not going to abuse the bike most any mid-range hardtail that fits you will work quite.

·
Designated Bleeder
320 Posts
Surly

I have a Surly Instigator that I use for the exact type of riding that you are planning to. It is a great trail/XC/Freeride frame. Nice comfortable geometry, can handle a long travel fork and the steel frame gives a nice solid feel that aluminum hardtails can't match. Once you go steel, you will never go back.

That said, there are a number of really nice hardtails out there that will fit your needs. I second the suggestion on the Santa Cruz Chameleon. That is a really nice ride and it is easy to convert to singlespeed if you start getting bored.

Jacques12345 said:
Hey! Whats up? Was finally able to get my santacruz heckler, had it for 2 months now, holding up really well with the type of riding I do. Now i'm looking to get a hardtail as well for some city/urban riding on bike paths and streets and stuff but as well to make a change from my heckler, some trail riding, aggressive xc, light downhills and occasional max 3 foot jumps. Trail and city will also include allot of uphills. I'd like the bike as light as possible for peddling effiency and uphills but strong enuff for the trails. Any opinions on wich bike to get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jack!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Chameleon

I third the Santa Cruz Chameleon. I'm getting my Large Black one built up right now and I will post pics once next week when it's all done. I plan for it to be my do-it-all hardtail, moving back to a hardtail from a Giant VT. Just want a change and try a really nice hardtail for a change. It will have a 05 Talas RLC, Sram XO and Singletracks/XT Hubs. Bring the travel down and it will be an XC Racer. Bring it up to 5" and it will be a freeride hardtail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts