Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wonder, why do we all love the old bikes of times gone by and not the new technological wonders of today? Why would we rather stay in the past and not embrace the future? Well, I for one love the future and can't wait to see the bikes of the future, but I love the simplicity of a good ol' hardtail...steel more specifically. Just feels good I guess. Tell me your reasons...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
get ready for the cliche...........

steely steed said:
I just wonder, why do we all love the old bikes of times gone by and not the new technological wonders of today? Why would we rather stay in the past and not embrace the future? Well, I for one love the future and can't wait to see the bikes of the future, but I love the simplicity of a good ol' hardtail...steel more specifically. Just feels good I guess. Tell me your reasons...
because:

"They just dont make em like they used to"!!!!!!!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I like 'em old and new...

For mountain bikes,I always waiting for something new everyyear since I started riding mountain bikes. Straight blade forks, elevated chainstays, 1 1/4 & 1 1/8" headtubes, threadless, full suspension,whatever. It's great to see that mountain bikes are moving away from the old diamond style frames but,however,I really enjoy riding the old diamond style frames and that's what I have in my collection.

·
Illuminati
1,730 Posts
while modern stuff is generally better value for money (critical racing, grafton etc,stupid high pricing!) generally works (better, fox forx over 96 judy sls) is stronger ( even altus! cranks over cheese taper cook bros) theres one massive reason why "vintage, retro, classic" is so popular

appeal. Newer parts/ frames just dont hold the same appeal to me, & a lot of others..
being able to own parts/ frames that always appealed, often at a fraction of the price (tho not always!) could be a massive factor :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
First reason: Yesterday it was more common your bike was built by an artist who had some very difficult discussions with himself on how to do it. Today that it is much more dictated by the large numbers - the market. Not cool. Large numbers are also not always a good thing; just consider what is on tv or who is president and you know where I am talking about.

Second reason: Innovation also means throwing something away from yesterday. I would say justified for a prorider, but not for about 95% of the biking community. We live in a world with a very fast growing population and an also rapidly growing prosperity. That means much more consumption and that takes terribly much from World's resources. At this pace we are riding our fancy full suspensions right into our toombs!

Third reason: Modern alloy FS concepts inhibit the feature being more disposible things anyway.

Fourth reason: I am sentimental.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
steely steed said:
First, I like new and old bikes a lot. However, I own more old ones than new, likely because...

1) They ride so well compared to cost. Older bikes (non-suspension or hardtail) ride as well as any new bike today, and likely better than most. For a few hundred bucks you can buy a bike that retailed for $2000 10 years ago, and it rides great. You can't touch a similar "new" bike for the price. If I were to have a 26" bike custom made today, it would be the same geometry as an old bike, not much has changed.

2) There's no market hype telling you how great your bike is. I love riding a bike that newer riders have never heard of, but old school guy say "wow!" There's nothing like riding a 15-year old fully-rigid hill up a hill and passing guys on new FS bikes - then heading down the hill and keeping up with them. :) (Most trails that I ride do not require FS bikes.)

3) And as others have said, I'm sentimental. It's cool to have something from "yesterday." I like old houses, cars, bikes, etc. I'm a history buff, and like seeing things "the way they were." There's a bit of a preservationist in me...

4) Older bikes can make trails more challenging. A bike with 4" of travel on a semi-technical trail is like riding on a sidewalk. What fun is that? Ride the same trail on a rigid bike, or better yet a cyclocross bike, and it can be challenging. Why ride a bike that make it easy? A bit more challenge and a little less speed (always good when you pass hikers), make for a lot more fun on the same trails.

But like I said new bikes are cool too. There are trails where I prefer my modern FS bike and where I'd really not like to be on a rigid bike (or hardtail even). It's nice to have a bike for those trails, but I ride that bike less than my old ones.

·
Registered
676 Posts
laffeaux said:
First, I like new and old bikes a lot. However, I own more old ones than new, likely because...

1) They ride so well compared to cost. Older bikes (non-suspension or hardtail) ride as well as any new bike today, and likely better than most. For a few hundred bucks you can buy a bike that retailed for $2000 10 years ago, and it rides great. You can't touch a similar "new" bike for the price. If I were to have a 26" bike custom made today, it would be the same geometry as an old bike, not much has changed.

2) There's no market hype telling you how great your bike is. I love riding a bike that newer riders have never heard of, but old school guy say "wow!" There's nothing like riding a 15-year old fully-rigid hill up a hill and passing guys on new FS bikes - then heading down the hill and keeping up with them. :) (Most trails that I ride do not require FS bikes.)

3) And as others have said, I'm sentimental. It's cool to have something from "yesterday." I like old houses, cars, bikes, etc. I'm a history buff, and like seeing things "the way they were." There's a bit of a preservationist in me...

4) Older bikes can make trails more challenging. A bike with 4" of travel on a semi-technical trail is like riding on a sidewalk. What fun is that? Ride the same trail on a rigid bike, or better yet a cyclocross bike, and it can be challenging. Why ride a bike that make it easy? A bit more challenge and a little less speed (always good when you pass hikers), make for a lot more fun on the same trails.

But like I said new bikes are cool too. There are trails where I prefer my modern FS bike and where I'd really not like to be on a rigid bike (or hardtail even). It's nice to have a bike for those trails, but I ride that bike less than my old ones.
Preservationist is the word! For me this has also to do with consistency. I don't like saying something is great today and it [the same thing] s*cks a day later. Sometimes things are fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
First timer here...

For me it's about the ride and the look. It's just neat to have something that looks old-school, and fun to ride it on the trails. No one will ever accuse my 1985 Norco Bigfoot of being a better bike than my Stumpjumper Comp, but every now and again I do pick the Bigfoot for the trails. The crazy fork trail, flexy frame, laid-out seating position... it's just a lot of fun. It's sitting at home in Calgary at the moment, and I miss it.

Putting things in a car analogy, an MGB is inferior in just about every way to a Miata. But people still collect them and enjoy them, and a nice B does bring enough money these days.

Plus, the fact that no one would ever steal my Bigfoot in a million years...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
laffeaux said:
That's the crux of it for me. I would put the question to all riders of big squish bikes..
"If it is so important to have a smooth ride why aren't you just riding on the road?"

·
Retro Grouch
132 Posts
Hi,

first, I own classic bikes and modern bikes. I have 4 Bikes that I ride regulary on dirt, my 2005 Canyon (the company I work for) Grand Canyon Pro HT, 2004 Canyon ES 7 FS, 1997 Yeti FRO Singlespeed and 1992 Yeti Ultimate. I also own other classics that I do not ride.

yep, that's it. Nothing is more fun than riding a CTF (some kind of marathon race w/o timing here in germany) on my fully rigid Yeti Ultimate, or even better on my singlespeed rigid 1997 Yeti FRO, and passing guys on full suspended bikes on a technical descent. I also have an Full Suspension Bike with 130mm Travel and Fox TALAS fork, but sometimes riding this "perfect" bike is just boring. I asked myself many times after an downhill that I lusted for 10yrs ago "ok, that was really fast, but where was the fun?" A built up an modern HT bike with Fox FRLT fork, Avid Juicy 7 brakes, SRAM X.O and all the other modern trick stuff (see pics here: http://fotos.mtb-news.de/fotos/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/886) and atm thats my fave for riding. Just more fun than the FS ;)

Greetings,

Michael

·
artistic...
7,620 Posts
1- i like steel frames.
2- i don't like paying $1500 on a IF deluxe frame.
3- i lusted for bikes that disappeared. the lust is still here..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you everyone...(the Why??? thread)

I want to thank you for all of your comments. It is a real blast to see everyone's views. I agree with most. Anyway, maybe see you all on the trails someday!!!

·
2,548 Posts
steely steed said:
I want to thank you for all of your comments. It is a real blast to see everyone's views. I agree with most. Anyway, maybe see you all on the trails someday!!!
I agree with most of the posters - I love them all, old and new, for what they are (and for what they aren't...).....same with autos - love 'em all for what they are, etc...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.