Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2,537 Posts
1 oz of water weighs just under 30 grams. If you have two flow meters you could measure your intake and output, then figure out how much weight you've shed.

Or maybe you are lost in the dessert and need to accurately ration your water reserve?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
davidbeinct said:
If you know the rate at which you metabolize EtOH, and you fill it with spirits of a known concentration of said alcohol, you can keep yourself at precisely your desired level of sobriety/drunkenness.

David B.
Interesting idea I wonder if the hose would work on a beer hat? But for that product to be of real use you need a camelback that can hold dry ice. Worm beverages just wouldn't cut it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
I don't either, but I used to work on their bikes...that Camelback product (roadies won't use Camelbacks) shouts Tri-Geek
Tue but most tri geeks don't know what a water bottle is. They only use the ones with a straw that hangs between the arobars.
 

· yeah, uh............bikes
Joined
·
2,710 Posts
davidbeinct said:
If you know the rate at which you metabolize EtOH, and you fill it with spirits of a known concentration of said alcohol, you can keep yourself at precisely your desired level of sobriety/drunkenness.

David B.
GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

· Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,390 Posts
Why do some guys use a heart rate monitor, gps or computer etc? Why not know details of your water? I don't even wear a watch, but I know lots of guys who like to measure and count stuff on rides...
 

· Dirty South Underdog
Joined
·
1,756 Posts
That looks like it'd be really useful for keeping track of how full the water bladder is... if you're in a hurry (like during a race) and don't want to stop to open up your pack to see if it needs to be refilled, then this would be incredibly helpful.

In fact, I might actually get one. Thanks!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
I'd use one... Nothing is worse than when your out on a hot long day and you go for some water and get nothing. It would be nice to look down and see how much water you have used so you will know how much is left. I always carry a water bottle with me on long rides just in case I use up my camelback to quick.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Why don't roadies use Camelbacks? Don't the cages and bottles add weight to their bikes?
Does it make a difference?
Just curious, live in the hills with all dirt roads so no road bike.

mtnbiker72 said:
I don't either, but I used to work on their bikes...that Camelback product (roadies won't use Camelbacks) shouts Tri-Geek
 

· Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Andrea138 said:
That looks like it'd be really useful for keeping track of how full the water bladder is... if you're in a hurry (like during a race) and don't want to stop to open up your pack to see if it needs to be refilled, then this would be incredibly helpful.
I just reach around and give the ole bag a squeeze.
 

· Dirty South Underdog
Joined
·
1,756 Posts
Woozle said:
Why don't roadies use Camelbacks? Don't the cages and bottles add weight to their bikes?
Does it make a difference?
Just curious, live in the hills with all dirt roads so no road bike.
Few reasons-
You can hold close to 48oz of water in bottles on your bike. I like a hydration pack for off-road riding because bottles get covered in dirt and it can be difficult to grab/replace a bottle while riding off road. Otherwise, I'd much rather carry bottles because you can avoid sweaty back.
 

· Can't feel my legs
Joined
·
852 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Few reasons-
You can hold close to 48oz of water in bottles on your bike. I like a hydration pack for off-road riding because bottles get covered in dirt and it can be difficult to grab/replace a bottle while riding off road. Otherwise, I'd much rather carry bottles because you can avoid sweaty back.
Plus, they are illegal by UCI rules in road racing.
 

· Tool
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Few reasons-
You can hold close to 48oz of water in bottles on your bike. I like a hydration pack for off-road riding because bottles get covered in dirt and it can be difficult to grab/replace a bottle while riding off road. Otherwise, I'd much rather carry bottles because you can avoid sweaty back.
Also, most people do not get thirsty until it's too late. Serious athletes will be aware of how quickly they lose water under typical conditions, so a meter will allow them to make sure they're taking in water quickly enough.

Me? I just use the ol' pee meter. As long as I'm peeing about once per hour and it's not too dark, I'm fairly confident I'm sufficiently hydrated. Of course, if you're peeing more frequently or it has no color, you may be over-hydrating. Admittedly, I'm no serious athlete, though.

-Pete
 

· Registered
Joined
·
10,051 Posts
Pedalphile said:
Also, most people do not get thirsty until it's too late. Serious athletes will be aware of how quickly they lose water under typical conditions, so a meter will allow them to make sure they're taking in water quickly enough.

Me? I just use the ol' pee meter. As long as I'm peeing about once per hour and it's not too dark, I'm fairly confident I'm sufficiently hydrated. Of course, if you're peeing more frequently or it has no color, you may be over-hydrating. Admittedly, I'm no serious athlete, though.

-Pete
You really stop that often during a ride to pee? I typically don't ever have to stop.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top