Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my riding buddies just purchased a new Gary Fisjer Hi-Fi for 3,000 bones. He could have built up a custom Turner or whatever besides one of these house brands. They call it a Hi-Fi pro, but it has lx components and some other crap on it. Why would they name it a pro series bike? Sounds like he is going to be mislead. :nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,060 Posts
Pro = marketing term designed to make you feel good about your purchase and to differentiate it from the baseline model, which ain't all that different.

Same goes for the terms "expert", "deluxe", "plus", and "comp". The only thing the labels differentiate is the retail price and the number of compromises taken on each bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
890 Posts
Well, some peple think GF is very high-end. I mean, back in the day, I didn't know that that these great but small bike companies even existed. I thought Cannondale and Specialized were high-end. That was before I got edumicated and snobbified on mtbr, of course :)
 

·
Baked Alaskan
Joined
·
1,810 Posts
prooperator said:
One of my riding buddies just purchased a new Gary Fisjer Hi-Fi for 3,000 bones. He could have built up a custom Turner or whatever besides one of these house brands.
Genesis geometry for $3k? Guess you get what you pay for. :D :p

This is the point I brought up in the other thread where the OP whined about prices being out of control. There are tons of frames in immaculate condition selling for $1k or less, that would leave your bud $2k+ for parts. I think you can have a pretty pimpy parts spec for that kind of scratch - but more importantly there would be no generic parts like the usual el cheapo bar/stem/post/saddle combo most big brands dump on you.

BTW, I run LX HT II cranks (best crank bang for the buck period) so don't hate on LX too much. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 frames broken!

I just wanted to update on this old thread. My ol' buddy with the fisher has broken 2 frames since his purchase. He's had to pay for each replacement! I could not believe that.:confused:
 

·
Having a nice day!
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
AK Chris said:
Genesis geometry for $3k? Guess you get what you pay for. :D :p

This is the point I brought up in the other thread where the OP whined about prices being out of control. There are tons of frames in immaculate condition selling for $1k or less, that would leave your bud $2k+ for parts. I think you can have a pretty pimpy parts spec for that kind of scratch - but more importantly there would be no generic parts like the usual el cheapo bar/stem/post/saddle combo most big brands dump on you.

BTW, I run LX HT II cranks (best crank bang for the buck period) so don't hate on LX too much. :thumbsup:
Totally agree. I purchased a used 5 Spot in May and had to move my Ventana. Took me almost two months and I had to let it go for significantly less than I wanted. When my brother told me he was wanting to move into full suspension, I told him to ignore the big box frames and just wait for a Turner or Ventana to pop up. Sure enough, one did and he got a heck of a deal on it. Of course I have been filtering all my unused but good parts to him, making the deal even better!

I'm also on the LX crankset bandwagon. I can't seem to break mine and you can get them new for $88.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
prooperator said:
I just wanted to update on this old thread. My ol' buddy with the fisher has broken 2 frames since his purchase. He's had to pay for each replacement! I could not believe that.:confused:
Why were they not covered under warranty?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
TLL said:
Pro = marketing term designed to make you feel good about your purchase and to differentiate it from the baseline model, which ain't all that different.

Same goes for the terms "expert", "deluxe", "plus", and "comp". The only thing the labels differentiate is the retail price and the number of compromises taken on each bike.
Fischer has been using the Term Super and Pro in bike names for a long time now. At one time the super and pro calibre bikes were some of the best bikes built. I don't know if tradition should change just because you're cynical.
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
LoneStar said:
Totally agree. I purchased a used 5 Spot in May and had to move my Ventana. Took me almost two months and I had to let it go for significantly less than I wanted. When my brother told me he was wanting to move into full suspension, I told him to ignore the big box frames and just wait for a Turner or Ventana to pop up. Sure enough, one did and he got a heck of a deal on it. Of course I have been filtering all my unused but good parts to him, making the deal even better!

I'm also on the LX crankset bandwagon. I can't seem to break mine and you can get them new for $88.
Welcome to the Homer club LoneStar!
 

·
Having a nice day!
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
SSINGA said:
Welcome to the Homer club LoneStar!
Good to be here! Couldn't say no to one Roger's clearance sales, and now I don't have to listen to Sutton and Ham tell me about what I'm missing. Really have been enjoying it. Just a great all-rounder.
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
LoneStar said:
Good to be here! Couldn't say no to one Roger's clearance sales, and now I don't have to listen to Sutton and Ham tell me about what I'm missing. Really have been enjoying it. Just a great all-rounder.
Just too bad is has the wrong size wheels!
 

·
Having a nice day!
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
SSINGA said:
Just too bad is has the wrong size wheels!
Oh, I already have one of those with the By:Stickel, and I didn't want to have to buy a new fork and wheels. Converting from the Salty to the Spot cost a whopping $7.50 for a seatpost shim, which was good since my wife wasn't too happy about the frame purchase!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top