Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why is it that every time I ride FOMBA it rains, sleets, or there is a blizzard?

The good news is that the fireline trail is ill-nanni.

The ride today was super fun but very slick. It was kind of a bummer that tricking around on all the dope side lines was a negaTIVE due to ice on the trails we rode. I saw some very cool step ups and rollers all over the place.
Bad news. The rain stopped for a while and all was good. Then out of no where the temps dropped and the sleet came out in to the picture. We called "shows over" and headed for the exit.

Greg

·
fried stuff with cheese
1,293 Posts
I rode it 48 hours earlier and it was the most fun I've ever on it. The ground was solid so it was super fast, plus we did it in a direction that I haven't done since last winter when we actually had snow on the ground. I was pumped through the entire trail. I hit every move I could find, something I hadn't done on my hard tail up until now.
Funny, I have days at Fomba that I leave not all that impressed and other times it's magical.
Sorry the weather gods were frowning on you that day. :mad:

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Severum said:
I am pretty surprised that it isn't any worse outside this morning. Time to find those studded tires.
That Fomba ride was pretty much my farewell ride for a while. Arizona trip in two weeks, then winter snowboarding (I hope).

Looking forward to spring!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I have a differnt sort of Why........

The clunk that I thought was my fox vanilla giving up the ghost, was still there when I installed the new Bomber. (All Mountain SL.)

The Oh SH!T factor cranked up. can you say Oval?

then I found play between the fork and bottom headset cup. not the cup and headtube. maybe this is a simple fix. The crown race was fouled up so I ran out and got a new one. Good news the play went away.

Bad news, the clunk is still there. The LBS now has the rig and are going CSI/House on it.

(yes this is the Titus, and it was 25F at dawn yesterday)

·
customized
3,123 Posts
brianc said:
I have a differnt sort of Why........

The clunk that I thought was my fox vanilla giving up the ghost, was still there when I installed the new Bomber. (All Mountain SL.)

The Oh SH!T factor cranked up. can you say Oval?

then I found play between the fork and bottom headset cup. not the cup and headtube. maybe this is a simple fix. The crown race was fouled up so I ran out and got a new one. Good news the play went away.

Bad news, the clunk is still there. The LBS now has the rig and are going CSI/House on it.

(yes this is the Titus, and it was 25F at dawn yesterday)
Brian, it sounds like a headset bearing. I have seen it a few times before. No reason it should be the headtube.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Severum said:
Brian, it sounds like a headset bearing. I have seen it a few times before. No reason it should be the headtube.
we'll 4 years of my fat butt flogging aluminum could be a reason. they warrentee on Al frames is 3 years for a reason. but I guess your right Al snaps not deforms when it fails.

well then I guess CK doesn't make them like they used to. I'll give the LBS a day to see what they sort out. if they are still scratching thier heads I'll suggest the headset bearings and see what they say.

CK is lifetime warrentee correct?

·
customized
3,123 Posts
brianc said:
we'll 4 years of my fat butt flogging aluminum could be a reason. they warrentee on Al frames is 3 years for a reason. but I guess your right Al snaps not deforms when it fails.

well then I guess CK doesn't make them like they used to. I'll give the LBS a day to see what they sort out. if they are still scratching thier heads I'll suggest the headset bearings and see what they say.

CK is lifetime warrentee correct?
CK is 10 years I think. You should be set there. Only CK can change the bearings. You can just pull the fork off and see if they have play with your finger usually. Honestly, it is about a 10 minute job to figure out if the headset is bad by many different techniques.

My guess is that the race and bearing went bad cause there was an installation error. I would say that the bearing tension was set a little low, yet felt fine and over the years it just rocked a little every ride and went south. It takes a lot of force to ovalize a headtube. Even if that is the case, then it is a deep cup headset for you. I highly doubt that is the failure though.

CK will prolly warranty the headset. I think the bearings are $20 each, so your talking about a $30 fix if they don't.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
tend to agree with Louis. The initial instalation may have been done correct but never tensioned properly. Over time under incorrect tension things can go south. In any event CK
will warranty your headset and or bearings for sure.

However I have ovalized a head tube before on a two year old frame. A high quality alluminum frame at that. So anything is possible.

Just get the thing solid before I arrive...... please

Greg

·
customized
3,123 Posts
yogreg said:
In any event CK will warranty your headset and or bearings for sure.
Let's not make any false hope here. I was going to send out a headset to them and they did not give me 100% assurance that it was going to be warrantied. Not even 10% assurance. In this case there was slight play in the upper bearing and no way for them to tell how it failed. They are very strict on super proper installation by approved shops and the like with the proper tools. They even asked me this over the phone on a couple different occasions. If the crown race was damaged, then likely the lower bearing will show the same wear. All said, the failure rates seem super low with them and to not cause a stir, they will just replace the bearing no charge.

If it were me, I would slap an inexpensive headset in there and hope King gets it back to me in time for the big trip. There is not a lot of time left.

With no disrespect to Brian, he is a very strong aggressive rider with ever expanding technical prowess, he is not you Greg. Monster step ups, drops to flat and big rollers will stress the head tube a lot. Some rollers with practically no runout with little to no brakes. Especially when done every single day. Anytime the bump is not in line with the fork, some force is going into that head tube. As tall and big as Brian is, I don't think he is putting a ton of hurt into this area of his frame.

Then again, I could be wrong. He has been shredding parts lately.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I agree louis. I really hope it's not ovalized. but as you say I'm not Greg. by that I mean...not smooth. I tend to me harsh on the transitions.

I've been runing this headset worry free for 4 years. yes it's a CK, but it would not be the end if I just went out and got a new one if CK did not warrentee it. The sad thing would be if this is the end of the Locomoto. I don;t know how I would replace it in time for Greg's visit. Riding Goat Camp on day 4 of the trip on a Hardtail is going to HURT.

some friends have recomended that minor ovalization can be taken care of by using a DH sytle (think CK Steelset) headset with extra long cups.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
brianc said:
I agree louis. I really hope it's not ovalized. but as you say I'm not Greg. by that I mean...not smooth. I tend to me harsh on the transitions.

I've been runing this headset worry free for 4 years. yes it's a CK, but it would not be the end if I just went out and got a new one if CK did not warrentee it. The sad thing would be if this is the end of the Locomoto. I don;t know how I would replace it in time for Greg's visit. Riding Goat Camp on day 4 of the trip on a Hardtail is going to HURT.

some friends have recomended that minor ovalization can be taken care of by using a DH sytle (think CK Steelset) headset with extra long cups.
The good news is you live in the land of Titus. If worse comes to worse, a new Moto lite would be just what the doctor ordered.

all jokes aside. If you do have some low level ovaling going on, a deeper headset will deffinately work wonders. But is a band-aid.

Greg

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
yogreg said:
land of Titus.
well the "new" Titus anyway. when you come out I'll tell you what bike I did NOT see on south mountain. :D :D :D

If the Loco is truely destined to spend the golden years as wall art, a Motolite is high on the list of worthy replacements. but the new Turner Spot looks sweet as well.

since I've completely poached this thread, and IE really hates my gmail account......

the tenative ride list for your trip are as follows:

Wed. South Mountain.
Thru. Sedona (complete with local guides. either the classic loop or Dam if I know)
Frid. Pass Mountain
Sat. Goat Camp.
Sun. sleep on the plane.

(ask JRAbrian if he's coming out for the BMX nationals in March.)

·
customized
3,123 Posts
King Headsets have less insertion depth than even quite a few other normal duty headsets out there. Worst case, you can press in a Steelset/Pig DH deepcup/Orbit Extreme deepcup and forget about it forever. It is a minor band-aid, but you will never ever know the difference.

As smooth as Greg is, he was going big with, back then, light duty parts. You know the lines, freeride dudes walk some of them. You don't get that good without some monster crashes. We won't get into it, but two casualties in one year... you decide.

You are right though Brian, bashing a long 5" fork into things could very well ovalize the headtube over time with as I mentioned before, a headset with low insertion depth. The headset is there amongst obvious reasons to fail before the frame does. With the crwon race being trashed, it is a sure sign the headset is toast. The great news is that you can get a new headset in either style easily in time to be riding with old friends with full confidence. Do what you can to be riding a bike you know when YG is out there.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
brianc said:
well the "new" Titus anyway. when you come out I'll tell you what bike I did NOT see on south mountain. :D :D :D

If the Loco is truely destined to spend the golden years as wall art, a Motolite is high on the list of worthy replacements. but the new Turner Spot looks sweet as well.

since I've completely poached this thread, and IE really hates my gmail account......

the tenative ride list for your trip are as follows:

Wed. South Mountain.
Thru. Sedona (complete with local guides. either the classic loop or Dam if I know)
Frid. Pass Mountain
Sat. Goat Camp.
Sun. sleep on the plane.

(ask JRAbrian if he's coming out for the BMX nationals in March.)
Saturday is the queen stage I think?

What no nite rides planned?
You getting soft on me bro?

You have tools at the new crib?
I may want to do some assembly/dis assembly on some stuff while out there.

can you accomadate in that arena with tools

Greg

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
yes. Sat will be a big day. we can always make any of the days to be over the top by adding a trail or two. I'm looking at the as a long road to the big finish.

bring lights we can alway add a bonus ripper. but Feb. 2nd is a Full Moon we don't need a light to ride that night!!!

I have the basic assortment of tools. but no stand. Should you need anything more than what I have, we can arrange to borrow the garage of any of my friends.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
brianc said:
yes. Sat will be a big day. we can always make any of the days to be over the top by adding a trail or two. I'm looking at the as a long road to the big finish.

bring lights we can alway add a bonus ripper. but Feb. 2nd is a Full Moon we don't need a light to ride that night!!!

I have the basic assortment of tools. but no stand. Should you need anything more than what I have, we can arrange to borrow the garage of any of my friends.
I am shipping my bike thursday or Friday this week.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
brianc said:
yikes.
How about a Ventana El Ciclon. (illness)
Please forget about a five spot.

or a Yeti 575. Sick bike right there son.

Greg

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.