Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Bicycle part Rim Metal Auto part

The rotor doohickeys, not the Q-tip. It’s just there for scale.
Thanks,
=sParty

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,455 Posts
The springs help prevent a torque screw from backing out, I believe. I don't have any brakes running them...
This, I wonder how necessary they are though.
On the other hand not really an area to take chances.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I've got those on my rotors. Put them on, never really thought about them. I assume it's to help keep the rotor bolts tight.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,711 Posts
This, I wonder how necessary they are though.
On the other hand not really an area to take chances.
Don't know, I've never had any rotors that ran them. Never really had a problem with the rotor bolts backing out either. Locktite and proper torque seems to work.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Those are tuned vibrational flux dampers. They help control the modial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive diractance in the rotor to fastener & hub interface, and effectively prevents sidefumbling in the rotor.

·
Cycologist
8,691 Posts
I mangled one of these last week and was trying to decide if it was worth $5 to buy a new one ($2 for the part, $3 for shipping; "hey, can you just stick it in an envelope and mail it to me?"). If I do buy it, it would likely just lay around my workshop as the crank is already back on and I've ridden the bike.

Automotive exterior Bicycle part Auto part Circle Composite material

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,877 Posts
these lawyer tabs and such are great...
so many people ride bikes but have zero clue how to maintain or check things....or just don't bother.

I do take them off the first time I need to access a bolt and it's in the way. but it must be saving someone from injury

first experience with them were these horror shows BITD
Wood Font Circle Flooring Hardwood

·
Registered
Talentless dirt-roadie
744 Posts
I mangled one of these last week and was trying to decide if it was worth $5 to buy a new one ($2 for the part, $3 for shipping; "hey, can you just stick it in an envelope and mail it to me?"). If I do buy it, it would likely just lay around my workshop as the crank is already back on and I've ridden the bike.

·
Cycologist
8,691 Posts
Ok, what's $5 and a few minutes of my time!

It is for the Ultegra crank I just put on my CX. I'd hate to be doing that ^ out on some dirt road miles from any civilization. Or anywhere for that matter.

Reactions: wgscott

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok, what's $5 and a few minutes of my time!

It is for the Ultegra crank I just put on my CX. I'd hate to be doing that ^ out on some dirt road miles from any civilization. Or anywhere for that matter.
Wouldn’t matter, in my experience the doohickey referenced isn’t all that effective at keeping the arm from falling off. And once the spline is buggered, it’s game over. 🤬

1 - 20 of 28 Posts