Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put a new XT axle in my M756 hub to replace one that was bent. The external seal on the right hand side sits about 3 mm above the axle and doesn't seal properly. This happens even after flipping the axle over and using its other end (previously onthe left hand side) on the right hand side. The rotor side is fine.

I also tried with a different seal: the same result.

Any ideas?

Wombat

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Wombat said:
I recently put a new XT axle in my M756 hub to replace one that was bent. The external seal on the right hand side sits about 3 mm above the axle and doesn't seal properly. This happens even after flipping the axle over and using its other end (previously onthe left hand side) on the right hand side. The rotor side is fine.

I also tried with a different seal: the same result.

Any ideas?

Wombat
Sounds like the metal seal that presses into the hub shell over the bearings is not fully seated. That is the only thing that could keep the rubber seal sitting away from the shell.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shiggy��� said:
Sounds like the metal seal that presses into the hub shell over the bearings is not fully seated. That is the only thing that could keep the rubber seal sitting away from the shell.
Thanks, but the problem is still there when I swap the metal seal, cones and nuts from the other side, all of which are new. I actually tried flipping the axle so I was used all the bits from the other side, which seats properly, without touching the setup on the good side. I undid the right side nuts, flipped the axle and then put the nuts on the left side. Still had the same probelm.

I guess it could be a problem with some form of hub distortion from when the axle originally bent, but this seems unlikely, and I can't see anything. I'll have another look at the metal seal.

Wombat

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Is the rubber seal making full contact with the metal seal? If so and the hub adjusts up well I would just ride it.

If the rubber seal is not touching the metal seal you should be able to push it on further. There should be nothing to prevent it. My rubber seal slides further over the lock nut than your pic shows.

I am assuming you have the metal seals installed concave side out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts