Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up my first SS.
Looking at the gallery, there seems to be a bit wide handlebar thing going on with the SS's!

Is there an advantage to this with SS?

Is there a rule of thum for the bar size, as wide as your sholders perhaps? I'm quite broad!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Like any component, it all depends on how you ride and basically preference.
For me, I find the wider bars give a little more leverage once you start climbing. Like most, I do my technical climbs as well as long steep climbs standing up. The wider bars gives you the extra leverage to grind it to the top. My bar is set at 26". Try getting a wide bar, if you don't like it, you can always shorten it to your liking.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,707 Posts
trikobe said:
Like any component, it all depends on how you ride and basically preference. ... Try getting a wide bar, if you don't like it, you can always shorten it to your liking.
Good advice. Personally, my bars are 31" wide.

(I cut them down from 32".) :D

--Sparty

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
My first SS had 19" flat bars about 14 years ago. Now I'm using 26" bars. The wider bars also opens up the chest for easier breathing... If you're riding tight woods trails, it may snag some trees however..

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,707 Posts
ferday said:
hey sparty, which bars do you use???

i thought my fleegles were damned wide at 29"....

They're Protaper SE (Seven Eighths) off-road motorcycle bars. Answer to next question: yeah, they're heavy, especially including the crossbar. But somethings are worth their weight, IMO.

I have a big bike... 25.5" top tube... 195mm cranks... 14.5" high BB... 31" wide handlebars. And my bike fits me like a glove -- I love it.

--Sparty

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
To me, a better question would be "why cut bars down?" I can't see why anyone but a smaller frame rider would want/need to do this? I once rented a medium AM bike with cut down bars and it sucked IMO. The bike felt less stable, twitchy, and uncomfortable. Wider bars feel right to me.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,707 Posts
trikobe said:
Man Sparty

Are you Shaquille Oneal's long lost brother. Dang, how tall are you?
I'm only 6'3", 190 lbs., 36" inseam. But I believe there're a lot of guys my size riding around on equipment that potentially could fit them better. Starting with cranks. 180mm is too short for someone with an inseam over 35", IMO.

--Sparty

·
mmm pain
5 Posts
my bars are no longer than 18". any wider and you could not get through several of the narrow passes between trees around here. i would like to ride some of the trails you guys do while being able to use 30" bars. you must be able to fly on those trails.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was thinking of cutting my bars down but was worried that i might do it too much and muck up my bars. The way round it was that i thought i could temporarilly move my brakes and grips inwards to see what it felt like and then adjust (while on the ride) to see how it affected my steering. It might look a bit odd having the bars poking out the sides but at least then you could experiment with one set of bars and cut them when you are sure you've found the perfect width? :idea:

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have got Fleegle bars on my On-one 29er. Getting out of the saddle feels comfortable and easy on this bike.

I can climb stuff with that setup using 2 teeth higher gear than my lightweight Voodoo with narrower bars. It feels awkward getting out of the saddle on the Voodoo and tiring.

I'm pretty sure the bars make the difference because the bikes are setup to the same dimensions.

Or it could be the 29" wheels :)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
In a race I'd prefer a narrower bar not only to squeeze between trees without having to pull a wheelie and turning my bars but also passing in tight situations and allows me to lean harder around turns without clipping trees. A few centimeters could mean all the difference between a clean race or a crash.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
HomeGrownSS said:
for narrow tree passings i just crank a low wheelie and turn the bars to fit between otherwise unfittable sections.
:D Me too...then I give the trees the middle finger as I shred on past.

I have a hard time believing that some of you guys have to cut your bars down just to ride your local trails. That is the dumbest thing I have heard on here in a while. I'll believe that there may be a spot or two that is a tight fit on any trail but the idea that trails are built so tight that only narrow bars can fit? :skep:

·
Advanced Slacker
15,410 Posts
jsnk1975 said:
:D Me too...then I give the trees the middle finger as I shred on past.

I have a hard time believing that some of you guys have to cut your bars down just to ride your local trails. That is the dumbest thing I have heard on here in a while. I'll believe that there may be a spot or two that is a tight fit on any trail but the idea that trails are built so tight that only narrow bars can fit? :skep:
Well, believe it. Lots of trails in the east were not built or designed for bikes, see little or no bike traffic, and are rarely maintained (cut back). If you live and ride in an area in which you are one of a few mountain bikers, or have had to get creative about where you ride, things can get pretty tight.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
I guess that would make sense if the trails were never intended for bike use. I have ridden a lot of trails (as I'm sure many of you have) and can't recall any that had me thinking I needed narrow handlebars. I can't say that I envy you guys - but as long as you can ride a bike on it ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.